Tampa has released Gerald McCoy

gmoney112

Reaction score
I think people really overrate our defense. We were pretty good in the redzone, but points and yards per drive were just a hair better than league average. Sacks and TOs, league average. Passer Rating Allowed? Not even top 20.

Defense had their moments, don't get me wrong. NO game was great. But, I think a lot of people overrate them because of just how terrible our defense has been previously.

It's actually kind of impressive they were still league average in sacks with Lawrence playing with a torn shoulder, Gregory just walking onto the team again, and I cant say for certain, but probably one of the worst interior pass rushing groups in the league. I mean, they were pretty awful.

Hill was a good choice, considering the options. But, given this roster, the timing of contracts, and the cap space, I think it'd be borderline negligent to not sign McCoy if he's looking for 10-11mill or less.

If you really want to keep Crawford for some reason, Collins is a FA next year anyway, let him go since it's fairly redundant, and release Hurns. I like Collins, but his body hates him, and I think Covington could fill his role anyway, he was pretty decent pass rushing shaded as a 3-tech in Houston on rotational snaps. That's $7million, we can live with a 3-4million hit for a substantial upgrade, and a legitimate pass rusher inside. Possibly a pretty formidable group if Hill isn't terrible. They even get to keep Crawford if they really want him.

Makes sense to me.

Carson

Reaction score
Good fits for the teams after him.

Indy or Cleveland. Going to be in the playoffs

Sydla

Reaction score
I think people really overrate our defense. We were pretty good in the redzone, but points and yards per drive were just a hair better than league average. Sacks and TOs, league average. Passer Rating Allowed? Not even top 20.

Defense had their moments, don't get me wrong. NO game was great. But, I think a lot of people overrate them because of just how terrible our defense has been previously.

It's actually kind of impressive they were still league average in sacks with Lawrence playing with a torn shoulder, Gregory just walking onto the team again, and I cant say for certain, but probably one of the worst interior pass rushing groups in the league. I mean, they were pretty awful.

Hill was a good choice, considering the options. But, given this roster, the timing of contracts, and the cap space, I think it'd be borderline negligent to not sign McCoy if he's looking for 10-11mill or less.

If you really want to keep Crawford for some reason, Collins is a FA next year anyway, let him go since it's fairly redundant, and release Hurns. I like Collins, but his body hates him, and I think Covington could fill his role anyway, he was pretty decent pass rushing shaded as a 3-tech in Houston on rotational snaps. That's $7million, we can live with a 3-4million hit for a substantial upgrade, and a legitimate pass rusher inside. Possibly a pretty formidable group if Hill isn't terrible. They even get to keep Crawford if they really want him.

Makes sense to me.

Biggest issue facing this defense is the pass rush. It gets overlooked because people just have wood because of Lawrence but when you look at our pass rush WITH LAWRENCE, it still was middle of the pack. And that's why opposing QBs are more effective on us, etc.

Bringing in Quinn, alone, won't drastically improve our pass rush. Essentially, they are hoping that Hill, a rookie DT, will provide the necessary push up the middle to make Lawrence and Quinn more effective and improve our overall pass rush.

Crazy thought. Why not bring in a vet who has proven he can rush the passer from the interior and have a little insurance in case it takes time for Hill to get up to speed?

Kevinicus

Reaction score

Makes sense to me.

YPD was hurt by being near the bottom of the league (29th) in opponents average starting field position.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It's a joke for anyone to try to compare Crawford to McCoy. And the only thing anyone trying to do it succeeds in doing is indicting their own credibility.

There is not a team in this league who would ever consider making that choice.

Loyalty to the Cowboys and their players is one thing, going full blind homer is quite another.
McCoy averaged 7.5 sacks and TCrawford averaged 5 sacks from DT

McCoy is not worth twice as much

Sydla

Reaction score
McCoy averaged 7.5 sacks and TCrawford averaged 5 sacks from DT

McCoy is not worth twice as much

One, can you back up the claim Crawford averages 5 sacks from the DT position only (and not from when he was playing DE)? All I can find is one year he was listed as a full time DT (4 years ago) and he had 5 sacks that year. Hardly a large enough sample.

Also, Crawford is a $10.1MM cap hit this year. No chance McCoy is double that. He carried a $13MM cap hit this year and not one team wanted to trade for him largely because of that cap number.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
And McCoy won't sniff 17MM-23MM a year.
So....that is way outside the point

TCrawford gets railed for not being ADonald but he is paid like the 50th highest DL not the first

It is the same thing you just did..... he obviously isn't getting 23m ..... TB cut him over 13m

He is not even an upgrade IMO...... McCoy's best days are in the past.... he is soft like tissue

Sydla

Reaction score

TCrawford gets railed for not being ADonald but he is paid like the 50th highest DL not the first

It is the same thing you just did..... he obviously isn't getting 23m ..... TB cut him over 13m

He is not even an upgrade IMO...... McCoy's best days are in the past.... he is soft like tissue

Crawford is what he is. I don't necessarily have a problem with him being on the roster. But if I could swap McCoy for Crawford, it's a no brainer. McCoy is better and likely won't cost much more than Crawford is making.

McCoy might not be the same player he was when he was 25 but neither is Crawford. Further, McCoy was one of the highest ranked DTs at QB pressures. Crawford doesn't even sniff that.

Crawford had 35 QB hits over the last 3 years. McCoy has 59. There's really no comparison between the two players. McCoy is better.

McCoy has also played in one less game over the last three years than Crawford.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
cut both and voila 12 mil to pay a hands down better player
You want to talk cornball brothers..... McCoy and his kimonos fit the bill.....SOFT

DFw_AxdU0AEebv4.jpg

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
One, can you back up the claim Crawford averages 5 sacks from the DT position only (and not from when he was playing DE)? All I can find is one year he was listed as a full time DT (4 years ago) and he had 5 sacks that year. Hardly a large enough sample.

Also, Crawford is a $10.1MM cap hit this year. No chance McCoy is double that. He carried a $13MM cap hit this year and not one team wanted to trade for him largely because of that cap number.
Cap hit is irrelevant...... the 10m hit is because they used his contract years ago to pay for someone else.... no one cried when his cap hit was 700k, 2.8m and 4.3m for the same production..... selective memories

It has nothing to do with TCrawford anymore.... the only number that matters is the 7m base..... Dead Money is sunk cost

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And he’s not “50th” either.

He’s not even Jack Crawford who makes $3 million a year.