Tank and Cowboys far apart. Rejects new offer

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
23 million, No way...Trade em to the Raiders for a 1st rd pick, they have a few of them..
love me some dlaw but sooner or later it's just too much $ for a player that want it to happen or not, is getting older.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
love me some dlaw but sooner or later it's just too much $ for a player that want it to happen or not, is getting older.
I'm with ya Jerry, trade him and let's pick up a good rookie.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score

Then maybe they should have signed him long term last year instead of telling him to "prove it".

Well guess what, sometimes you win that gamble and sometimes you don't. Lawrence won that one, now it's time to pay him or let him go.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Then maybe they should have signed him long term last year instead of telling him to "prove it".

Well guess what, sometimes you win that gamble and sometimes you don't. Lawrence won that one, now it's time to pay him or let him go.
or franchise him again. people *****ing cause they're only making an average of the top 5 in their field no, i don't have a lot of pity for. sure he wants long term security, we all do. i *do* think he's worth what is being offered. but if we're a few million apart then great, he can go to california or something and lose any 10% gain to taxes and cost of living.

not a lot of pity in my heart for people negotiating $20mil a year deals for their salary. part of the game, i get it. i don't begrudge them at all. i'm just not going to get into the antics of emotion people do around it.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
or franchise him again. people *****ing cause they're only making an average of the top 5 in their field no, i don't have a lot of pity for. sure he wants long term security, we all do. i *do* think he's worth what is being offered. but if we're a few million apart then great, he can go to california or something and lose any 10% gain to taxes and cost of living.

not a lot of pity in my heart for people negotiating $20mil a year deals for their salary. part of the game, i get it. i don't begrudge them at all. i'm just not going to get into the antics of emotion people do around it.

What emotion? I wasn't aware he had asked for anyone's pity.

BatteryPowered

Reaction score
If the report is correct that he wanted $20 million and when the team met that amount they upped it to $22.5...then I say hold tight. Try to get the trade done with Miami and draft what you can for depth.

Also, if the rumor is true that he will not have the surgery until he gets his contract...wait until late June and remove the franchise tag. Then you can tell his agent "Since he doesn't want to play under the tag a second season, we have removed it. The offer from the team is $18 a year (keeping the current guarantee amount in place). If he wants that he can sign. Otherwise, he is free to negotiate with other teams. Oh, that's right, FA is basically over, the draft has come and gone and your client won't be ready for the start of the season. Gee...that sucks. Have a good day."

kskboys

Reaction score

They've offered him 20 mil/season. That is paying him.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Underperforming the last 25 years hasn’t hurt the bottom line for this team one bit, nor has the NFL felt any hurt. Salary cap is going up. There are players you have to pay, and your star DE is one of them.
People get so upset about what the PLAYERS are making/asking for. They lose sight of the fact that the OWNERS are making BILLIONS...and if they paid the PLAYERS less...the OWNERS would not pass that savings on to the fans.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yes, if TV contracts go down and NFL revenue goes down, then the salary cap will go down...…...nobody is disputing that.

You know what? Tank and his agent dont give a dam about that right now, its not their problem. They are looking at what the salary cap is TODAY and looking around the league and seeing what players with similar stats to Tank are getting paid TODAY and will negotiate a new contract accordingly. They will tell you its not their problem what the cap is three years from now, you are paying Tank what the market rate is TODAY.

Your move, what is your reply to Tank and his agent?

It hasn't changed and I said, two years ago that DLaw was about money so there is no revelation in this post, to me. I already suspected this, which is why I was in favor of trading him to being with.

If you don't give a flip about anybody else, then go ahead and work out a trade DLaw and DLaw's agent. Go see what somebody will pay you. But know this, when you come back, your contract will be lighter then the original offer of 20 a year.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
People get so upset about what the PLAYERS are making/asking for. They lose sight of the fact that the OWNERS are making BILLIONS...and if they paid the PLAYERS less...the OWNERS would not pass that savings on to the fans.

I think you are completely 100% wrong here. We are not stupid. We understand that owners are making money. We also understand that all that money is being driven by the fans. We know all this. What we also know, and more importantly, care about is the cap. The cap is finite. You can't go over it and we understand that our team has a lot of good young players getting ready to come up for contracts. You can't take the position that you pay the players whatever they want. You can't do that because if you do, then you end up losing some of them and, you have no cap to make needed changes going forward. It's a recipe for disaster. Either you want to win, as a fan or you don't. Either way, we are not stupid and we understand the dynamics. It's not about who is making what money, we all know that none of us are making that money. It's about the team and how we go forward and continue to improve so that we can win.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree, it totally goes against the market mechanics of fair compensation for both the player and the team to tag a player more than once.

In the new CBA, the players should demand that a player either can only be tagged once, or if he is tagged again the cost is astronomical. Like a 50% increase to do a second tag. So if you tag a player for $20 million a season and you want to tag him again, its now $30 million a season.

That would put a stop to these type of problems we are having with DLaw right now.

The tag already has an escalator so the player already gets compensated if they get tagged for multiple seasons.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
i said people - not DLaw.
Still, I don't see emotion from either the fans or dlaw, other than the people saying trade him because he wants to get paid – based entirely on hearsay from people that aren't a part of those conversations.

you should put a goal of comprehension ahead of sarcasm.

lol, you're barely communicating in english, apologies if it's hard to understand you.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
At this point I just meet Dlaws demands.

You dont let a top player like that walk. If you dont like his contract after next season, trade him and get a valuable asset back in return. Like the Giants did with Odell and Steelers with Brown

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I'm so over this. Take care of business one way or the other so this can be old news.

I have a bad feeling that fruitless negotiating is going to continue until it's too late for everyone involved to come out ahead. DLaw wont have his contract, Dallas wont be able to get a 2019 pick out of him, DLaw's delayed shoulder surgery will drop his 2020 pick trade value, etc.

Just get ready, this whole thing is going to end in an anticlimactic disaster that no one is happy with. Just a gut feeling, could be wrong.

One multiyear long wet fart of a nonstarter story, that's what this will be.
I agree.

Look what just happened with the Steelers.

2 of their biggest stars just forced ridiculous trades off their teams because the teams said no.

Their fans must have just freaked.

Their team has been set back probably 3 years after the dust settles.

I do not want to see this happening in Dallas.

But who knows?