Tank and Cowboys far apart. Rejects new offer

revospeed

Reaction score
Let him Latrell Sprewell or Vince Young himself out of the league.

He received some bad advice. He’s essentially putting his house on the market with poor plumbing and letting everyone know that he won’t get the plumbing fixed until he’s recieved offers well above the market value.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Underperforming the last 25 years hasn’t hurt the bottom line for this team one bit, nor has the NFL felt any hurt. Salary cap is going up. There are players you have to pay, and your star DE is one of them.

What's your point? I mean, are you saying that fans will just continue to take it? If you are, I think you are wrong. Numbers across the board are down in the NFL. Is it still making money? Yes, but it's not growing. In fact, it's dropping and has been since 2016. This ride is not going to last, the increases in cap are numbers, based of projections. At some point, it will cave in on itself, if viewers continue to tune out.

In short, you don't have to do anything and that includes paying unrealistic contracts out to unreasonable player demands.

RamziD

Reaction score
What's your point? I mean, are you saying that fans will just continue to take it? If you are, I think you are wrong. Numbers across the board are down in the NFL. Is it still making money? Yes, but it's not growing. In fact, it's dropping and has been since 2016. This ride is not going to last, the increases in cap are numbers, based of projections. At some point, it will cave in on itself, if viewers continue to tune out.

In short, you don't have to do anything and that includes paying unrealistic contracts out to unreasonable player demands.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...ey-than-ever-and-things-have-never-been-worse

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/am...anthem-protests-revenue-tv-ratings-attendance

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...-gained-back-viewers-but-lost-attendance/amp/

TV ratings started to come back up in 2018. Bottom line is team revenues are still increasing year after year, even during that 2 year downswing. So, there is more than enough money to pay your stars. Once the salary cap stops going up each year, contract numbers will level off too.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...ey-than-ever-and-things-have-never-been-worse

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/am...anthem-protests-revenue-tv-ratings-attendance

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...-gained-back-viewers-but-lost-attendance/amp/

TV ratings started to come back up in 2018. Bottom line is team revenues are still increasing year after year, even during that 2 year downswing. So, there is more than enough money to pay your stars. Once the salary cap stops going up each year, contract numbers will level off too.

There is a contract in place so the ratings will not effect revenue until the contract is up for renewal but come on, you have to understand that a 5% increase over a drop of 8% in 2016, another drop of 9.7% in 2017 is not proof that a rise of 5% from a decreasing number is improvement but by all means, let the players go ahead and believe what they want to. In fact, I believe that the numbers have been either falling or stagnant since something like 2013. This thing runs out once fans leave and it becomes less profitable. That's just economics but believe what you will.

RamziD

Reaction score
There is a contract in place so the ratings will not effect revenue until the contract is up for renewal but come on, you have to understand that a 5% increase over a drop of 8% in 2016, another drop of 9.7% in 2017 is not proof that a rise of 5% from a decreasing number is improvement but by all means, let the players go ahead and believe what they want to. In fact, I believe that the numbers have been either falling or stagnant since something like 2013. This thing runs out once fans leave and it becomes less profitable. That's just economics but believe what you will.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/195257/revenue-of-the-dallas-cowboys-since-2006/

Total Revenues

2014: $620M
2015: $700M
2016: $840M
2017: $864M

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
No he isn’t. Most of his big games last year came against really bad teams and it also didn’t hurt that we played the Giants twice. 5 of his 10.5 sacks last year came against the Lions and Giants. Of the playoff teams we played against in the regular season he had a total of 0.5 sacks, that half sack coming against Seattle.

Question: Who's the last player the Cowboys have had that had 10 sacks in a season?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

RamziD

Reaction score
As paid out according to the existing contracts correct? Do you understand that ratings are a problem and while there was a 5% increase in viewership last year, that's still significantly down? Do you believe that TV contracts are going to continue to be increased if ratings continue to go down, yes or no?

If there is a consistent pattern of ratings going down, yes it will be a problem for negotiating future TV deals. As it stands, they went down for 2 years and are now picking up, so there isn’t really a pattern there.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If there is a consistent pattern of ratings going down, yes it will be a problem for negotiating future TV deals. As it stands, they went down for 2 years and are now picking up, so there isn’t really a pattern there.

This is not a matter of a decline for just two years but whatever. At best, the market is flat and in reality, it's in decline but I won't argue the point with you any longer.

Let him try to get his 23/24 million. I don't think it's going to happen but I guess we'll see.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Yep. They have the Billionaire Bumpkins painted into a corner. This is what happens when a 'front office' is run by Jed Clampett and Son. Just......brutal.

Agreed...………..this is why you dont let your star players play on the tag. You either give then an extension or you trade them.

Nothing good comes from playing on the tag because the player gets pissed he is risking his career on a one year contract and if he does preform and doesn't get hurt, then he wants even more than the tag price. The team realizes paying above the tag price would make said player dam near the highest paid at his position in the entire league and they balk. Then bad feelings start seeping to the surface as the team makes the player out to be greedy and the player makes the team out to be cold hearted because if he would have gotten hurt the team would not be resigning him at all.

Just a bad situation all around, and not just in Dallas either. Go look at how the Cousins fiasco in Washington unfolded with him playing on the tag 3 consecutive seasons.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
This deal doesn’t get done until the market provides some new comps. It’s pretty obvious.

The problem is that waiting might make the problem worse. What if the comparison we are waiting for is higher? I mean, if the reports are true and DLaw wants $22 million and we say no. Well, we wait and we wait and all of a sudden Javon Clowney in Houston signs a massive deal for $23 a season.

DLaw says, "Clowney had 9 sacks last year, I had 10.5 so if he is worth 23 then I am worth 24".

So his new asking price just went up from $22 mill to $24 mill all because we waited for a comparison. See my point?

Beaker42

Reaction score
Agreed...………..this is why you dont let your star players play on the tag. You either give then an extension or you trade them.

Nothing good comes from playing on the tag because the player gets pissed he is risking his career on a one year contract and if he does preform and doesn't get hurt, then he wants even more than the tag price. The team realizes paying above the tag price would make said player dam near the highest paid at his position in the entire league and they balk. Then bad feelings start seeping to the surface as the team makes the player out to be greedy and the player makes the team out to be cold hearted because if he would have gotten hurt the team would not be resigning him at all.

Just a bad situation all around, and not just in Dallas either. Go look at how the Cousins fiasco in Washington unfolded with him playing on the tag 3 consecutive seasons.
A player shouldn’t be able to be tagged more than once. It all goes to he** after that one season.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
As paid out according to the existing contracts correct? Do you understand that ratings are a problem and while there was a 5% increase in viewership last year, that's still significantly down? Do you believe that TV contracts are going to continue to be increased if ratings continue to go down, yes or no?

Yes, if TV contracts go down and NFL revenue goes down, then the salary cap will go down...…...nobody is disputing that.

You know what? Tank and his agent dont give a dam about that right now, its not their problem. They are looking at what the salary cap is TODAY and looking around the league and seeing what players with similar stats to Tank are getting paid TODAY and will negotiate a new contract accordingly. They will tell you its not their problem what the cap is three years from now, you are paying Tank what the market rate is TODAY.

Your move, what is your reply to Tank and his agent?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
A player shouldn’t be able to be tagged more than once. It all goes to he** after that one season.

I agree, it totally goes against the market mechanics of fair compensation for both the player and the team to tag a player more than once.

In the new CBA, the players should demand that a player either can only be tagged once, or if he is tagged again the cost is astronomical. Like a 50% increase to do a second tag. So if you tag a player for $20 million a season and you want to tag him again, its now $30 million a season.

That would put a stop to these type of problems we are having with DLaw right now.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem is that waiting might make the problem worse. What if the comparison we are waiting for is higher? I mean, if the reports are true and DLaw wants $22 million and we say no. Well, we wait and we wait and all of a sudden Javon Clowney in Houston signs a massive deal for $23 a season.

DLaw says, "Clowney had 9 sacks last year, I had 10.5 so if he is worth 23 then I am worth 24".

So his new asking price just went up from $22 mill to $24 mill all because we waited for a comparison. See my point?

Yep. That’s what’s going on. Which is why Tank would be stupid to sign before Clowney does. He’s a better player. He knows Clowney will get a lot more than Dee Ford got. Dallas has no leverage until the other deals are on the books. All they could do is offer something stupid and hope he takes it. That doesn’t help anybody.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Yep. That’s what’s going on. Which is why Tank would be stupid to sign before Clowney does. He’s a better player. He knows Clowney will get a lot more than Dee Ford got. Dallas has no leverage until the other deals are on the books. All they could do is offer something stupid and hope he takes it. That doesn’t help anybody.

Yeah, good point.

I was kinda hoping that DLaw would give the team a hometown discount, but I cant fault him for wanting to get the most money he can. All it takes is one play and his career could be over, so he has to maximize his earnings while he can. Unlike some others, I dont take this type of stuff personally or get offended by it, its just the business side of the NFL and sometimes the business side is unpleasant.

jnday

Reaction score
Negotiations are just crazy in sports these days. Life funds...I mean life finds a way haha!
Yeah, it really needs to stop. They should put a cap on how much each position can make. They could pass the savings to the ticket prices.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
It's already too late to try replace his production so they better hope they work out a deal or he signs the tag or Dallas will get nothing.