Tank the season to go after Trevor Lawrence at QB? Thread **merged**

phildadon86

Reaction score
This poster has said Dalton can get Dak like results because Dalton has done that throughout his career.

Jimmy Johnson echoed the same thing.

Dalton is not a good enough player to perform on a team that can't block, can't play defense, and also has just QUIT. He's the only guy on this team fighting right now.
So was Dak. Difference is Dak was performing. Dalton is failing. Like he did in Cincy. I also love how you completely ignored the fact that if Trevor is who you say he is. He will need to get paid too. In 5 years. When the floor for a QB deal is likely 50 million a year. LOL. Do you not see how your method is dumb or do I need to point it out further for you.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yep, sure does work for EVERY team. It's so easy to dial 1-800-Quarterback to find a new one. Hell, I hear Amazon Prime will deliver one the NEXT day.

If you think that "overpaying" Romo is the reason the Cowboys did not win a Super Bowl ..... well .... I guess I will throw that in with the other "great" hot takes like "There will be no drop off between Dalton and Dak". Ya. You NAILED that one.
:facepalm::muttley:

But I say screw it. I HOPE you get what YOU want. Just so I can sit back and start reading your posts about the next QB Dallas should draft after Lawrence is not "elite enough" to win.

The JOY!!!!
:laugh:

Hardy har har.. Just dial 1 800 QB.. Har Har im so funny.

You can win with Dak. As long as you put him in a optimal situation like he started out in here or a situation like the 49ers were in a year ago.

You pay him 40 million? I predict a lot of mediocrity.. I'd rather be sitting where we are now then clawing for 9 or 10 wins and a wildcard game if we're lucky. I've seen enough of that brand of football.

We can either make a move like the Chiefs did drafting Mahomes or make a move like the Vikings did giving all the money to Cousins.

If we pay Dak all I will see on this forum is people making excuses for the team around him not being good enough all the while so happy he signed his team crushing contract.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The cowboys aren’t going to get the #1 pick
yeah I figure they win 2 at most, and we already have 2 wins.
And pretty sure they want lawrence too.
also it isnt easy to tank, but our players might be real good at that! and our coaches too.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So was Dak. Difference is Dak was performing. Dalton is failing. Like he did in Cincy. I also love how you completely ignored the fact that if Trevor is who you say he is. He will need to get paid too. In 5 years. When the floor for a QB deal is likely 50 million a year. LOL. Do you not see how your method is dumb or do I need to point it out further for you.

If he's not elite then don't pay him.

There is a clear path to success in the NFL and paying the QB is not it.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
This is our problem. Top 5 pick and we go after the shiny star player instead of a need. CeeDee was my top choice but Im just a stupid fan; someone who actually has decision ability should have slapped Jerry's hand and told him that his grandkids are only kids. We sure could have added some defensive help instead of going after Zeke too.....Derrik Henry in the second round would have been nice.

Also all these players that are not playing up to the level of their contract need to go. Zeke, Tyron, Dlaw, Jaylon, just to name a few.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
How about we stop drafting on offense for once? That’s why our defense is as putrid as it is. Start spending first round picks on defense. Then we’ll start winning games. We need at least a average defense to win.
They drafted defense in the first round in 2015, 2017 and 2018. They drafted defense in the second round in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019 and 2020.

phildadon86

Reaction score
If he's not elite then don't pay him.

There is a clear path to success in the NFL and paying the QB is not it.
Ok. Sure. Let me know when Dalton puts up a 400 yard game. Your judgement of QBs is laughable at best. Stop typing.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
yeah I figure they win 2 at most, and we already have 2 wins.
And pretty sure they want lawrence too.
also it isnt easy to tank, but our players might be real good at that! and our coaches too.

We can't block.. We can't play defense.. The team has basically quit.. There is turmoil being leaked out of the building. We're down to a 7th round rookie QB.

I think Dallas at this point just needs to show up and they will take their L's.

It's funny watching these games because it was obvious Dalton was going to get strip sacked before we even started the game and how obvious was it that a defender would jump offsides early?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Ok. Sure. Let me know when Dalton puts up a 400 yard game. Your judgement of QBs is laughable at best. Stop typing.

This is how silly our fan base is.. They think Dak putting up 400 yards passing when we're down a million points is some kind of feather in his cap...

Guess what? Teams that throw a lot pass for a lot of yards.

Jameis Winston lead the league in passing a year ago.

I've always said Dak is a good solid player and any good solid QB with the weapons we have is going to throw for a ton of yards when we're down a million points and passing 60 times.

Any level headed football guy is going to tell yall that but you simple brained dudes on here our like" He said Dalton was gonna be good but he aint so he don't know nothin".

Jimmy Johnson said it too and if Jimmy Johnson was asked about it again he'd say the same things I have said.. Dalton is the Cowboys 4th or 5th problem right now.

Guess what else! Dak didn't overcome squat! WE were terrible with him!

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Lawrence is a generational talent. It would be like the Colts passing on Peyton Manning b/c they liked the incumbent Jim Harbaugh. Obviously drafting a new QB means a rebuild.
I am not saying pass on him. What I am saying that the dream that you put Lawrence in at quarterback without changing the players is not going to work. The dirty hit on Dalton showed what these players are about.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Think Lawrence wants any of this mess?

QB isn't the problem, Prescott is the only one with heart and he is the soul of this team, they're falling apart without him and his leadership.

Think Lawrence isn't going to get clobbered? Think Gallup and Lamb aren't going to drop passes? Think Cooper isn't going to play like he just got paid? Think that D will tackle better?

The problems with this team are not the QB, Lawrence would flounder with this team.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I look at us in the position San Francisco was a few years back. Jimmy g was hurt they did horrible and received a top 3 pick turning it into bosa. We can end up doing the same thing. Having Dak back and change the culture of the defense

phildadon86

Reaction score
This is how silly our fan base is.. They think Dak putting up 400 yards passing when we're down a million points is some kind of feather in his cap...

Guess what? Teams that throw a lot pass for a lot of yards.

Jameis Winston lead the league in passing a year ago.

I've always said Dak is a good solid player and any good solid QB with the weapons we have is going to throw for a ton of yards when we're down a million points and passing 60 times.

Any level headed football guy is going to tell yall that but you simple brained dudes on here our like" He said Dalton was gonna be good but he aint so he don't know nothin".

Jimmy Johnson said it too and if Jimmy Johnson was asked about it again he'd say the same things I have said.. Dalton is the Cowboys 4th or 5th problem right now.

Guess what else! Dak didn't overcome squat! WE were terrible with him!
This is how silly our fanbase is. Wanting to jettison a proven NFL starting QB for a Rookie. When we can get a blue chip LB or S or DL. Look at San Fran. Jimmy got hurt. Boom nick Bosa. Where did San Francisco end up last season? Superbowl right? Go figure. Your argument is destroyed again. What is Jimmy being paid? He got paid and was in a Superbowl and all it took was getting a great DEFENSIVE player.
We were within 3 points against Cleveland. We were in striking distance in every game with Dak. Without Dak this team has crumbled. And your favored son who was going to show us all just how mediocre Dak is couldnt even put up 50 yards of offense against Washington in a half of football. Stop.

Darkhound

Reaction score
AND WHO GUARANTEES our incompetente Front Ofifice will make wise daft choices?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Think Lawrence wants any of this mess?

QB isn't the problem, Prescott is the only one with heart and he is the soul of this team, they're falling apart without him and his leadership.

Think Lawrence isn't going to get clobbered? Think Gallup and Lamb aren't going to drop passes? Think Cooper isn't going to play like he just got paid? Think that D will tackle better?

The problems with this team are not the QB, Lawrence would flounder with this team.

Lawrence can run. He's also just simply far more talented than Dak.

Dak isn't the problem. He's also not the answer. WE need a lot around him.

I mean even in 2019 when the defense played incredible if the opposing offense score 12 we would score 9. That's just what he is as a player.

If we give up 50 and he throws 60 times he will put up 49.

When is the last time we beat a good team with Dak Prescott?

Dak Prescott is not the problem.. He's just unfortunately not the answer.

Alex Smith wasn't the problem with the Chiefs either.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Forget trying to win Sunday Night. Forget trying to win the division this season. Our Superbowl at this point is Trevor Lawrence..

Unfortunately... We may have watermelon kicked away our chance at an elite quarterback. 2 wins might be too many.

We have a couple of problems.

1. The team pushing these players to try and win these games.

2. The Jets are showing no signs of winning a game.

I'm struggling to find 1 win on this schedule.

Nov. 1 at Kansas City Chiefs
Nov. 9 New England Patriots
BYE
Nov. 22 at Los Angeles Chargers
Nov. 29 Miami Dolphins
Dec. 6 Las Vegas Raiders
Dec. 13 at Seattle Seahawks
Dec. 20 at Los Angeles Rams
Dec. 27 Cleveland Browns
Jan. 3 at New England Patriots

Hopefully the Jets will bring back Darnold and do their best to let him prove his value and the team pulls together and wins 3 games somehow.

Dallas needs to start Ben Dennucci.. Garret Gilbert.. Whoever.. Keep this Oline that might be the worst in history in place and let the defense do the rest.

We also need Justin Fields to have a really good season.. Like hopefully much better than Lawrence type of season. Lawrence struggling wouldn't be the worst thing too to help build the hype for Fields.

Then hopefully on draft day we can do whatever it takes to possibly move up a spot or 2 and get Lawrence. I'm sure Lawrence's agent would put a ton of pressure on the Jets to not select him as well if Dallas and Jerry Jones come calling.

This draft can send us 1 of 2 ways.. We either stay on the path of mediocrity and draft some "stud" defensive guy that has little impact on the outcomes of games or we turn this thing around and bring an electric player inside this building that is so desperately needed.

Right now this franchise needs hope and there is no hope on the way. With Lawrence in the house everything changes.

Potential elite QB for 5 years on a rookie deal is the way forward. Signing Dak and overcoming all of the other obstacles required for him to win a Championship just seems like wishful thinking.

Amazing how you changed your tune after just two games with your hero Dalton. Two weeks ago you were telling us all that Dalton would be better for the offense and defense than Dak and he would lead us to the playoffs. "Dalton Efficiency" I think you called it.

But.........................this will be just another thing in a long line of things you get completely wrong. Although I would be more than happy if we get the #1 pick.

But have your fun, I will be right there with you rooting for no wins and the #1 pick the rest of the way. Welcome to the tank wagon.

cern

Reaction score
if i represented trevor lawrence and the cowboys somehow were able to draft him, i'd recommend he refuse to sign and re-enter the draft the following year.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Lawrence is a generational talent. It would be like the Colts passing on Peyton Manning b/c they liked the incumbent Jim Harbaugh. Obviously drafting a new QB means a rebuild.
You know, I stay away from the "generational talent" hype as much as possible.

Better yet, lets look at some of the best QBs in the NFL in the modern era:
  • Tom Brady - 6th Round Pick
  • Aaron Rodgers - 24th overall? Teams were mixed if he was better than Alex Smith or not
  • Patrick Mahomes - 10th overall? 2nd QB taken? The guy was taken after Mitch Tribisky, who went 2nd overall
  • Russell Wilson - 3rd Round pick
  • Drew Brees - 2nd Round pick

NO ONE called any of the above, QBs "generational talents". Yet each one of them has been considered by the majority of people as the best QBs in the NFL at some point in their careers.

Speaking of the Colts, they drafted Andrew Luck, and he was considered a "generational talent", to replace the "broken down" Peyton Manning. Yet, Luck never got to the Super Bowl and only made it to a single AFCCG while Manning got to 2 more Super Bowls with the Broncos.

I guess replacing a "very good QB" with a "generational talent" didn't quite work out for the Colts.

Just sayin'

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We can sign Dak for 40 million a year and draft a defensive player. But it will get us nowhere.

We can maybe build a good solid team over time but this is the equivalent of the Chiefs passing on Mahomes because they needed defense.

Lawrence has potential to be an electric franchise changing player.

Continuing with Dak and paying him 40 million I think locks us into being a mediocre team for 3 seasons at least.

But drafting a rookie QB, AND passing up on a defensive stud will get us where we need to go? :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao:

Delete your account. You have zero credibility.