Tank the season to go after Trevor Lawrence at QB? Thread **merged**

kevm3

Reaction score
We can sign Dak for 40 million a year and draft a defensive player. But it will get us nowhere.

We can maybe build a good solid team over time but this is the equivalent of the Chiefs passing on Mahomes because they needed defense.

Lawrence has potential to be an electric franchise changing player.

Continuing with Dak and paying him 40 million I think locks us into being a mediocre team for 3 seasons at least.

So Trevor Lawrence is going to throw for 550+ yards and 40 points a game?

phildadon86

Reaction score
But drafting a rookie QB, AND passing up on a defensive stud will get us where we need to go? :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao:

Delete your account. You have zero credibility.
The best part is. We are going to build slowly. Wouldnt we then have to pay Trevor as well? lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
if i represented trevor lawrence and the cowboys somehow were able to draft him, i'd recommend he refuse to sign and re-enter the draft the following year.
Yep, I wouldn't want my son playing for this franchise. They even make good football players not want to play.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So Trevor Lawrence is going to throw for 550+ yards and 40 points a game?

Bozo just got done saying that the defense is the worst in history, then comes to the conclusion that drafting a defensive stud wont help. LOL :lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao:

SackMaster

Reaction score
Hardy har har.. Just dial 1 800 QB.. Har Har im so funny.

You can win with Dak. As long as you put him in a optimal situation like he started out in here or a situation like the 49ers were in a year ago.

You pay him 40 million? I predict a lot of mediocrity.. I'd rather be sitting where we are now then clawing for 9 or 10 wins and a wildcard game if we're lucky. I've seen enough of that brand of football.

We can either make a move like the Chiefs did drafting Mahomes or make a move like the Vikings did giving all the money to Cousins.

If we pay Dak all I will see on this forum is people making excuses for the team around him not being good enough all the while so happy he signed his team crushing contract.
Is Dak Mahomes? No. But he is WAY better than Cousins.

Signing Dak, a player that can more than produce, would not be a "team crushing contract". It's signing big contracts to guys that DON'T PRODUCE, like Jaylon, Crawford, Lawrence and Zeke, that are "team crushing".

But I just can't help but think, you predicted that Dalton would be as good as Dak .... so let me say, when it comes to your predictions about Dak .... well, they don't amount to crap.
:thumbup:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
But drafting a rookie QB, AND passing up on a defensive stud will get us where we need to go? :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao:

Delete your account. You have zero credibility.

QB's on rookie deals are going to and winning Superbowls constantly.

2021 is a wash regardless.. We're going to be bad again next season.

Did you already forget how trash this team was this year with Dak?

Rookie defenders will have almost no impact on the outcomes of games.

Dak will just keep us in the mediocre range.

dckid

Reaction score
Forget trying to win Sunday Night. Forget trying to win the division this season. Our Superbowl at this point is Trevor Lawrence..

Unfortunately... We may have watermelon kicked away our chance at an elite quarterback. 2 wins might be too many.

We have a couple of problems.

1. The team pushing these players to try and win these games.

2. The Jets are showing no signs of winning a game.

I'm struggling to find 1 win on this schedule.

Nov. 1 at Kansas City Chiefs
Nov. 9 New England Patriots
BYE
Nov. 22 at Los Angeles Chargers
Nov. 29 Miami Dolphins
Dec. 6 Las Vegas Raiders
Dec. 13 at Seattle Seahawks
Dec. 20 at Los Angeles Rams
Dec. 27 Cleveland Browns
Jan. 3 at New England Patriots

Hopefully the Jets will bring back Darnold and do their best to let him prove his value and the team pulls together and wins 3 games somehow.

Dallas needs to start Ben Dennucci.. Garret Gilbert.. Whoever.. Keep this Oline that might be the worst in history in place and let the defense do the rest.

We also need Justin Fields to have a really good season.. Like hopefully much better than Lawrence type of season. Lawrence struggling wouldn't be the worst thing too to help build the hype for Fields.

Then hopefully on draft day we can do whatever it takes to possibly move up a spot or 2 and get Lawrence. I'm sure Lawrence's agent would put a ton of pressure on the Jets to not select him as well if Dallas and Jerry Jones come calling.

This draft can send us 1 of 2 ways.. We either stay on the path of mediocrity and draft some "stud" defensive guy that has little impact on the outcomes of games or we turn this thing around and bring an electric player inside this building that is so desperately needed.

Right now this franchise needs hope and there is no hope on the way. With Lawrence in the house everything changes.

Potential elite QB for 5 years on a rookie deal is the way forward. Signing Dak and overcoming all of the other obstacles required for him to win a Championship just seems like wishful thinking.
I agree with you!!.. Just two weeks ago I posted a thread about how we should take advantage of this opportunity to tank and the moderator moved my thread, everyone was up in arms.
The fact of the matter is we should not even try to win one more game.
Move on from Dak, save that 40 million and reset this organization. This team will again go through a mini rebuild.
Dak will be fine, he will sign with the Saints or Pats, or Steelers or Colts, there are a number of teams where he can go and do well.
Signing a QB to a 40 million dollar per year deal makes no sense for this organization.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know, I stay away from the "generational talent" hype as much as possible.

Better yet, lets look at some of the best QBs in the NFL in the modern era:
  • Tom Brady - 6th Round Pick
  • Aaron Rodgers - 24th overall? Teams were mixed if he was better than Alex Smith or not
  • Patrick Mahomes - 10th overall? 2nd QB taken? The guy was taken after Mitch Tribisky, who went 2nd overall
  • Russell Wilson - 3rd Round pick
  • Drew Brees - 2nd Round pick

NO ONE called any of the above, QBs "generational talents". Yet each one of them has been considered by the majority of people as the best QBs in the NFL at some point in their careers.

Speaking of the Colts, they drafted Andrew Luck, and he was considered a "generational talent", to replace the "broken down" Peyton Manning. Yet, Luck never got to the Super Bowl and only made it to a single AFCCG while Manning got to 2 more Super Bowls with the Broncos.

I guess replacing a "very good QB" with a "generational talent" didn't quite work out for the Colts.

Just sayin'

Brees and Wilson were viewed as too small. Brady is an anomaly. Romo was an anomaly. You typically don't find greatness at QB beyond round 1. That is not the same as saying it never happens.

If you haven't seen Lawrence play much or watch him and can't tell the difference between him and anyone else, then fine. He would have been the top pick in the draft the past 2 years and will be this coming April. He's about as close to a sure thing (barring an injury) as the NFL has seen since Manning.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Bozo just got done saying that the defense is the worst in history, then comes to the conclusion that drafting a defensive stud wont help. LOL :lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao:

But then they'll have the nerve to make fun of Jerry as if their plan would work better. These guys make Jerry look like a genius.

lkelly

Reaction score
Ok. Sure. Let me know when Dalton puts up a 400 yard game. Your judgement of QBs is laughable at best. Stop typing.
Not that I'm advocating for Dalton in any way (other than he seemed to be a good insurance policy back before the Cowboys and the rest of the world fell apart), but to answer your question...

Dalton threw for 418 against Seattle week 1 of the 2019 season. John Ross lead the team in receiving yards and Tyler Boyd had the most catches. I don't believe A.J. Green played.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Not that I'm advocating for Dalton in any way (other than he seemed to be a good insurance policy back before the Cowboys and the rest of the world fell apart), but to answer your question...

Dalton threw for 418 against Seattle week 1 of the 2019 season. John Ross lead the team in receiving yards and Tyler Boyd had the most catches. I don't believe A.J. Green played.
So one game. Last season. Dak did it how many times this year? Behind a garbage OL. Thats the point im making

phildadon86

Reaction score

Nick Bosa says hello. You really are clueless arent you?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Oh goodie, so then all we have to do to win a championship is get a rookie QB? Well........I got news for you BOZO...........were about to start one next week!!!! :lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with you!!.. Just two weeks ago I posted a thread about how we should take advantage of this opportunity to tank and the moderator moved my thread, everyone was up in arms.
The fact of the matter is we should not even try to win one more game.
Move on from Dak, save that 40 million and reset this organization. This team will again go through a mini rebuild.
Dak will be fine, he will sign with the Saints or Pats, or Steelers or Colts, there are a number of teams where he can go and do well.
Signing a QB to a 40 million dollar per year deal makes no sense for this organization.

We haven't tried to win a game. This team has been mailing it in since week 1.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Is Dak Mahomes? No. But he is WAY better than Cousins.

Signing Dak, a player that can more than produce, would not be a "team crushing contract". It's signing big contracts to guys that DON'T PRODUCE, like Jaylon, Crawford, Lawrence and Zeke, that are "team crushing".

But I just can't help but think, you predicted that Dalton would be as good as Dak .... so let me say, when it comes to your predictions about Dak .... well, they don't amount to crap.
:thumbup:

Funny thing is i'm still confident Dalton could be solid if the team around him wasn't garbage.

I stand by what I said about Dalton. I do think he would get Dak like results in the end.

Dak may make things prettier but neither guy overcomes things. They go as the team go.

Jimmy Johnson echoing my opinion on Dalton vs "sackmaster" monday morning QBing it doesn't change my mind..

I know what Dalton is as a player. He's solid. The team around him right now is on an entire different level of bad and guess who wouldn't overcome it either? Dak..

When is the last time Dak beat a good football team?

phildadon86

Reaction score
Oh goodie, so then all we have to do with win a championship is get a rookie QB? Well........I got news for you BOZO...........were about to start one next week!!!! :lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
Micah Parsons changes our entire defense. And hes a linebacker. But sure. Lets get a QB when we have one who was breaking records to start the season lol. I love the "rookie defenders dont affect outcomes of games" Nick Bosa?

I used San Fran as an example and guess who didnt respond? Good old Catch.

Jimmy got paid. Got hurt. Sat a year. They drafted Bosa and where did San Fran finish the season last year? Super Bowl right? God its like common sense doesnt factor in for some people here.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Funny thing is i'm still confident Dalton could be solid if the team around him wasn't garbage.

I stand by what I said about Dalton. I do think he would get Dak like results in the end.

Dak may make things prettier but neither guy overcomes things. They go as the team go.

Jimmy Johnson echoing my opinion on Dalton vs "sackmaster" monday morning QBing it doesn't change my mind..

I know what Dalton is as a player. He's solid. The team around him right now is on an entire different level of bad and guess who wouldn't overcome it either? Dak..

Why would anyone take anything you say seriously?

phildadon86

Reaction score

LOL. You really want to die on that hill do you? Dalton put up less than 50 yards of offense yesterday in a half of football.

Dak won us a playoff game. Something Dalton still has yet to do in his career. You sound like a babbling idiot. Just stop. Its embarrassing.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
LOL. You really want to die on that hill do you? Dalton put up less than 50 yards of offense yesterday in a half of football.

Dak won us a playoff game. Something Dalton still has yet to do in his career. You sound like a babbling idiot. Just stop. Its embarrassing.
:lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer: