Tanking in 2024

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Looks like thats where they are headed. Go draft heavy, cut dak. Roll with lance, get a top 5 pick in 2025. Im all in
I don't know why every year some fans have this same reaction during the first few hours of free agency.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
While I been joking heavily about the FA period. I think we are smart to wait and see what comes to us.

We don't have to get the most expensive, we need the best FIT. While I would've liked a "big name" RB, we still paying Zeke $7Ms this year, so we could only do so much. We can let that come to us, plus put good resources towards it in the draft...

I need to see what they gonna do at OL, LB, and DL/DT. Those are the positions that we need to shore up the most...

But I'ma get these jokes off too lmbo

bigE79

Reaction score
There is a Caleb in almost every draft. I would look to cut dak. You can’t trade him. Nobody will take on that salary and he has to agree. Trade Micah parsons for max value. Go draft heavy. Only guy I would sign is lamb. They not winning a Super Bowl next year folks I know some of you a few of you youngsters are like Jerry you just want to be relevant. But I grew up in the 70’s and expect super bowls
Amen... great post..I miss the 70s

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
This is why hiring good ole friend Mike Zimmer is a joke. He’s not going to come in here and demand any players. He’s happy with collecting a paycheck and back where his grandkids live.

Brax

Reaction score
Looks like thats where they are headed. Go draft heavy, cut dak. Roll with lance, get a top 5 pick in 2025. Im all in
To early for that statement you need to wait a few weeks before you can make that statement

bigE79

Reaction score
Tank, don't tank,is there really a difference with this team, cause every year ends the same regardless.

Cowboys93

Reaction score
*Coaching staff all on 1 year deals
*No extension for Dak (Yet)
*No extension for Lamb (Yet)
*Just $9M in cap space
*Need new starters at DT, LB, RB, C, LT, slot CB, 3rd WR

Tank is probably too strong of a word as they should be able to play somewhere in that 7-10 wins range on the high end talent they have. What we don't see is any indication that this team will truly make moves to improve the roster over 2023. Jerry/Stephen do seem pretty content with being pretty mediocre this year. There is still some time, but I think they're closer to tank mode than all in mode. Hope they prove me wrong.
You see it

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Dez says we are in rebuilding mode:

If so, that would explain the no-brainer extension of Dak right now. Sigh

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I guess over paying when FA begins is the best way to do business now.
they lost me at the part they said ALL IN and then proceed to miss out on all the top RBs available.

they’ll definitely get a vet RB, next week.

dallas loves cheap vet players who fold like a lawn chair in crunch time and have no impact when it counts.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
if this team loses Dak....for no draft picks, it would cement this is a dead franchise
this exactly..it would prove they are the worst FO maybe ever..in a QB starved league you work the contract so wrong you get nothing for him...

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Look I’m the last guy to defend this front office but it’s a little early to say we aren’t “doing anything”. The first FA guys out of the gate were never going to be “affordable” for this team.

Plus big names don’t always = big performance. I’m going to wait and see before declaring this FA period a disaster. Don’t worry, there will be plenty of time to dish that out if it’s warranted.
I see this exact statement every year. How the first wave of free agents aren't worth it and we can't afford. And talk themselves into how it doesn't matter if we didn't get one of them. There are tiers in free agency. The first tiers of players are the most impactful and best chance to improve your team. It's the same concept of the draft. You are less likely to get good performance out of the later rounds players. There's a reason why we haven't been to the conference championship round in almost 30 years. We have no idea how to balance roster management i.e. draft, free agency, trades, when to cut bait, when to extend. We seem to give out huge contracts to homegrown draft picks who probably don't need to stick around and pass on better players in free agency.

We picked Gallup over Amari Cooper a few years ago and that failed miserably. We extended Zeke when it was a terrible move. And they didn't learn their lesson and doubled down and used the franchise tag on Pollard coming off injury. There's a fine line to balance all of this and that is the #1 responsibility of a GM. Thing is, we don't have a real one and the job responsibilities of the "GM's" we have clash with their superior job responsibilities of being the owner.

Creeper

Reaction score
If they were tanking, why sign Trent Sieg? LOL.

But seriously, I don't think they are trying to tank. I think something else is going on. Maybe Dak and CeeDee are balking at extensions? Without the extensions, they can't create the space they need to sign players. They can do some restructures but the real meat will come from extending Dak and CeeDee. I have wondered whether CeeDee would sign an extension this year, or let his contract expires to test free agency. I said if he does not sign an extension the best thing Dallas can do is trade him now while he has some value. If Cee Dee tests free agency next year you all know the Cowboys will not match his highest offer. I suppose they could franchise tag him but that is expensive and his tag number all hits the Cap the same year.

Also, doesn't it seem like the Cowboys are deliberately not creating CAP space before or during free agency to send a message to the fans? Even if they don't want to sign a top free agent, why wait to create CAP space. It seems deliberate to me. Another slap in the face?