Tanking in 2024

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
All coaches are under contract, however those 1 year deals do matter. It shows a lack of faith Jerry has in his coaches. For a team that has a history of culture issues and a narrative that the owner undermines his head coaches this is a major red flag IMO.

Agreed that Tank is the wrong word, but I see a front office that seems more focused on 2025 than 2024.
No they really do not matter. The cowboys aren't offering up big contracts to free agents anyway. Whoever they sign has to be ok on a 1 or maybe 2 year deal anyway. That is how it's been for a few years. They aquire guys on really small deals and then they may extend them. Cooper being the last one I recall getting more than a 2 year extension that they brought in.

lk8701

Reaction score
Should've tanked the previous season so we could've drafted Caleb Williams

Blitzen

Reaction score
Every years a new year. Giving up is easy and why it’s so popular here. You all want everything NOW!

This sounds ironic. The bulk of people here have been fans since the 80’s or before. The team has not made the NFCCG since 1996. And your claim is people are IMPATIENTLY wanting more playoff success (need for immediate gratification). Do you make this stuff up as you go?

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
Should've tanked the previous season so we could've drafted Caleb Williams
There is a Caleb in almost every draft. I would look to cut dak. You can’t trade him. Nobody will take on that salary and he has to agree. Trade Micah parsons for max value. Go draft heavy. Only guy I would sign is lamb. They not winning a Super Bowl next year folks I know some of you a few of you youngsters are like Jerry you just want to be relevant. But I grew up in the 70’s and expect super bowls

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
No they really do not matter. The cowboys aren't offering up big contracts to free agents anyway. Whoever they sign has to be ok on a 1 or maybe 2 year deal anyway. That is how it's been for a few years. They aquire guys on really small deals and then they may extend them. Cooper being the last one I recall getting more than a 2 year extension that they brought in.
I think you're right but that's the problem lol. There have been years I didn't mind the lack of activity in free agency because I felt the roster was close enough to compete. Those years you could improve by hitting on an impact draft class or an under the radar free agent. This year though they seem to be significantly further away from competing with the better teams in the NFC. Filling the eight-Ish positions they need to with bargain bin FAs and a draft feels closer to tanking than it does competing in my mind....In reality what the Cowboys are doing is probably more accurately described as complacency, however it's complacency while trending down.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think you're right but that's the problem lol. There have been years I didn't mind the lack of activity in free agency because I felt the roster was close enough to compete. Those years you could improve by hitting on an impact draft class or an under the radar free agent. This year though they seem to be significantly further away from competing with the better teams in the NFC. Filling the eight-Ish positions they need to with bargain bin FAs and a draft feels closer to tanking than it does competing in my mind....In reality what the Cowboys are doing is probably more accurately described as complacency, however it's complacency while trending down.
It doesn't help with last years draft class being mostly question marks. What they do with mazi is way more important than who they sign as FA.

StarLord

Reaction score
They want that horizon as clear as possible for 2025. No Dak, no leftover coaches, and they are minimizing their number of holdover vets with long-term deals.
I wish this was the case.. but I fear the ludicrous Dak extension is on the way.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
It doesn't help with last years draft class being mostly question marks. What they do with mazi is way more important than who they sign as FA.
If they can get better production out of last years class then yeah I would agree that would be huge for 2024. I'm even one of the few pro Mazi guys around here, I don't view it as a good idea to just count on him making a leap though. Kind of the same with Overshown. I'm a fan, but hes still basically a 3rd round rookie coming off a major injury. Even the most optimistic person should not have super high expectation for these guys in 2024. One of the big issues IMO is they did something similar last year with guys like Tyron and LVE. Good players, but extremely injury prone and the Cowboys didn't have great plan Bs.

I just think the Cowboys really need to land 2-3 mid tier players replace what they've lost and then see improvement from other guys down the roster. If they can find a way to add those 2-3 players I may jump right back on the bandwagon, i've just grown pessimistic that they will.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Look I’m the last guy to defend this front office but it’s a little early to say we aren’t “doing anything”. The first FA guys out of the gate were never going to be “affordable” for this team.

Plus big names don’t always = big performance. I’m going to wait and see before declaring this FA period a disaster. Don’t worry, there will be plenty of time to dish that out if it’s warranted.
No time like the month of May to dumpster dive!
That's when the leftovers are prime for the taking.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Are there any studs in the 2025 draft to target?

List please
Quarterback-wise? No. so far not looking like a great draft.

A few defensive superstars though:
  • Deone Walker DT Kentucky - 6'6" and 348 lbs.
  • Will Johnson CB Michigan
  • Harold Perkins LB LSU
  • Travis Huter CB/WR Colorado

kumizi

Reaction score
I don’t think we’re tanking but it’s obvious we aren’t going all out to win this next season. With the current talent on the team, you can probably make the playoffs and get bounced in game one again.

Dallas seems to be doing a reset. Honestly not the worst idea and more people would be on board if Jerry hadn’t opened his stupid mouth and claimed they were all in.

shabazz

Reaction score
This sounds ironic. The bulk of people here have been fans since the 80’s or before. The team has not made the NFCCG since 1996. And your claim is people are IMPATIENTLY wanting more playoff success (need for immediate gratification). Do you make this stuff up as you go?
Self awareness has never been his strong suit....bless his heart