Tanking is one of the most cowardly things a team could do

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's exactly what tanking is. It's not going out and whiffing on tackles. You have the wrong idea. It's a team that needs to have an eye on getting better the following season if they're already out of playoff contention. Some seem to think it's about purposely throwing games. Or players going half speed. That's ridiculous.
I disagree. Again tanking it’s something you do on purpose. In order to get achieve something when the season is over. Trying to get better it’s just that trying to get better

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's exactly what tanking is. It's not going out and whiffing on tackles. You have the wrong idea. It's a team that needs to have an eye on getting better the following season if they're already out of playoff contention. Some seem to think it's about purposely throwing games. Or players going half speed. That's ridiculous.
Make no mistake about it my cowboy brother. That’s exactly what some of these fans wants the team to do. Lose on purpose

starfan1

Reaction score
We must be watching different games. mahomes took over and the chiefs were nowhere near a SB. They were nothing more than a solid team that could be anywhere from 8-8 to 11-5 and MAYBE win 1 playoff game and then they were gonna be done. The Chiefs won 12 games 1 time in the previous 11 seasons prior to Mahomes...... they have won 12-14-12 in the three since he took over.

Starting in 2015 and moving to 2020 here are the chiefs points per season: 25.3, 23.8, 25.6, 34.8, 29.9, 28.5.

Take a guess the season Mahomes took over.

Starting in 2015 and going to 2020 this is the Chiefs Points allowed per game: 17.4, 19.4, 21.2, 26.2, 20.2, 22.8

So defense actually has allowed more points since Mahomes took over. The year he took over, the defense was statistically WAY worse as far as points per game.... and yet when they had the number 1 defense as far as points allowed in 2015, they made it through 1 wildcard game and got the boot. No elite QB and statistically you arent gonna do well.
I’m not taking anything away from Patrick’s growth and he’s a good qb but they couldn’t get by NE and Brady till the d stepped up. My point is Alex smith had them in playoffs 4 years straight 2013-17 yes 1 win and they screwed the pooch in a game they should have won with Indy if I remember correctly . Reid’s a good coach and they had talent

Patrick is a good qb much better than Alex but yes he had a few breaks along the way if not for San frans stupidity he has no SB wins

I actually thought last years team was better but losing those lineman were killer

tanking is dumb and not something players consider

lk8701

Reaction score

Yeah. Tanking is about playing younger players and reserves. I expect those players to give 100% effort.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The one thing I have learned is there is no proven method. Every outcome has an outlier in the NFL. Miami sucked it up for Tua just like Indianapolis did for Andrew Luck. But the Dolphins sure looked pretty good last year and primed to do it agin this year.

not to mention there sitting pretty nice in the first round of this years draft.

Don’t forget the Cowboys sucked it up last year and have nothing to show for it....
The Dolphins looked pretty good......... when Fitz was playing. They looked like crap when Tua played.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I’m not taking anything away from Patrick’s growth and he’s a good qb but they couldn’t get by NE and Brady till the d stepped up. My point is Alex smith had them in playoffs 4 years straight 2013-17 yes 1 win and they screwed the pooch in a game they should have won with Indy if I remember correctly . Reid’s a good coach and they had talent

Patrick is a good qb much better than Alex but yes he had a few breaks along the way if not for San frans stupidity he has no SB wins

I actually thought last years team was better but losing those lineman were killer

tanking is dumb and not something players consider

They couldnt get by NE......... in Mahomes rookie year.....bahahahahahahhahahah
Mahomes took over, and the Chiefs are 1 game away from 3 straight SB appearances, and it didnt have a damn thing to do with the defense, which was worse after he took over.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
These tanking threads are embarrassing to any adult with a job. If that sentence needs explained to you...:rolleyes:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
These tanking threads are embarrassing to any adult with a job. If that sentence needs explained to you...:rolleyes:
I only wished my Sixers had tanked when they had a chance.... they might have been able to get the best big man in the NBA... of they did.

And they currently have the 2nd best record in the east.... yea, tanking never works.

kskboys

Reaction score
Even more cowardly is calling people cowards just because they have a different thought process than you.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last time we were winning championships we had one of those.
Yep...you gotta go back a LONG time...a different era...in fact 2-3 era's ago. Things don't work like that anymore. It's why I can't comprehend the philosophy of losing on purpose for a phantom pick that would likely be either a bust or a drain on the team.

The damage to the psyche ...win ....could be very damaging. Take your best shot on the field and play the hand you are dealt. If you aren't adept enough to make a solid good pick at 10....how would 5 or 4 or 3 be any better?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So how else do you purposely ...lose? Oh...excuse me ,sorry...I mean "tank". :confused:

You have to have some sort of plan....what is it then?

Don't tackle
*Let* them score.
Don't score.

That's a bad thing to teach the kids.

Use a 3rd or 4th stringer as sacrificial lamb?

There's no other way, that I can think of. I'm all ears.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yup, tanking leads to nothing good

We would have Lawrence as a potential franchise quarterback and save 40 million against the salary cap

Yup, nothing positive about tanking........and as for ethics and morality, they when out the door some time ago
I’m glad you agree with me. Yes let’s win undeserving. Ethics and morality. It’s a way of life for me. You don’t want it fine.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They couldnt get by NE......... in Mahomes rookie year.....bahahahahahahhahahah
Mahomes took over, and the Chiefs are 1 game away from 3 straight SB appearances, and it didnt have a damn thing to do with the defense, which was worse after he took over.
Are you kidding me. It was the defense that beat San Francisco. Not Mahomes hail Mary’s five of them. He’s done he’s an overrated quarterback. Talk about blessed. They won’t even make the championship game this season

blueblood70

Reaction score
Are you kidding me. It was the defense that beat San Francisco. Not Mahomes hail Mary’s five of them. He’s done he’s an overrated quarterback. Talk about blessed. They won’t even make the championship game this season

no fracking way..

wow the dak slobbering obvious homer only make statement like that..jealous blind claws coming out..

I watched the SB and Mahomes was under fire and had more scramble yards then i have ever witnessed in my time and it was record i believe and yet those crazy falling down falling back nearly on the ground passes still ended up in catch zone and his players didnt catch them.

hes the best qb in the league by far..those crazy passes not only coming from scrambles DAK CANT MAKE but falling down and sideways body all contorted were as accurate as any pass Dak throws..

not knock on dak but on your ridiculous statements that Mahomes is over rated,,hes by far the best qb in the leabue..no doubt and im not TT fan and not KC Mahomes fan in any way..yet this dude is beyond special elite..Dak is not even in the same zip code talent wise..Mahomes also did this on a bad foots and coming off a concussion , did all he could with bad line and his players pulling a Patrick Crayton..

when the term elite generational moniker is used Mahomes name comes up every time Dak not once..Dak a solid starting qb can be great at times but very average as well

if anything that SB game displayed how special Mahomes is not the other way around..go back and watch those scrambles and where the balls ended up from the position he threw them in..smh if you cant recognize special like that , you dont need to be making opinions, EVER..

I would trade dak and our next 3 first rounders for Mahomes right now..

HungryLion

Reaction score
I think the NFL should hand out participation trophies at the end of the season. That will prevent teams from tanking.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In my opinion. It’s one of the most cowardly things a team could do. Nothing positive comes from it. It can destroy a locker room. It creates a losing mentality. All those people that want us to tank and lose games on purpose. What a waste it would’ve been. It would not have given us a better First round draft choice. Specifically because we’re going to be able to take the best Defensive player in this draft. I hope this such a great example of why you never tank . You just don’t know what the result of it is going to bring. Other than Negativity. Go cowboys hope you have a great draft
:clap::hammer::clap:

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Ill say my standard comments I occassionally repeat when it comes to tanking
first tanking is an owner/gm thing which could trickle to the coach, it is not a player thing
2nd I hate it unless we are talking about a one game tank. If you are down the the final regular season game and a loss can mean the difference between a top 3 pick and a top ten pick, or something like that, then "rest" your starters and hope you lose. You dont ask the players to drop passes or anything like that, just dont play the stars for that one final game. So to sum up - 1 game tank on final game Im fine with, anything more I am not fine with

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
This is sports.. Not a Mel Gipson movie.

You're looking to get a advantage somehow some way.

Teams have been tanking in all sports for a long time.. Does anyone care? No.. It's not a topic of discussion because nobody cares.

It sounds cool to say things like them being cowards or whatever but the goal of this sport is to win championships so whatever gets you to that goal is fair game.

Morale victories are for the Jones's who win nothing. Belichick will do whatever it takes to hold up a Lombardi.

So tanking was part of Belichick's plan? What about that season when they lost Tom Brady and still managed an 11 and 5 record with Matt Cassell at QB? Was that tanking?