Tanor Bortolini C Wisconsin

Gambit

Reaction score

He's been one the guys along with Limmer and Turner I've been saying will be a good pick up later rounds if we miss out at C earlier.

He's played 4 of 5 of OL spots and if we double dipped and took him in rd 5 I'd not be upset in the least.

McMicah

Reaction score
Ugh!!! 31.5” arms….yikes. That alone that make him a no go for some teams even at center

1942willys

Reaction score
Ugh!!! 31.5” arms….yikes. That alone that make him a no go for some teams even at center
That is NOT that short. You will find a number of excellent centers and guards with relatively sort wingspan. Jason Kelce has 32.5 arms so you say one inch makes this guy a loser
It is at TACKLE where it is critical

McMicah

Reaction score
That is NOT that short. You will find a number of excellent centers and guards with relatively sort wingspan. Jason Kelce has 32.5 arms so you say one inch makes this guy a loser
It is at TACKLE where it is critical
Ryan Kalil is the only OL since like 2010 to make a pro bowl or make all pro with shorter than 32” arms. It might not matter but there’s a statistical trend that does not correlate success with arms shorter than 32”

1942willys

Reaction score
Ryan Kalil is the only OL since like 2010 to make a pro bowl or make all pro with shorter than 32” arms. It might not matter but there’s a statistical trend that does not correlate success with arms shorter than 32”
stats lie
let me give you an example
Gil Brandt admitted they passed on Mike Singletary in the draft because he was ONE HALF INCH below the minimum level they had
Think on that
a trend is a trend until it is not; never let it enslave you

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
stats lie
let me give you an example
Gil Brandt admitted they passed on Mike Singletary in the draft because he was ONE HALF INCH below the minimum level they had
Think on that
a trend is a trend until it is not; never let it enslave you
No, that’s not how that works.

Every data set has outliers. The existence of an outlier doesn’t negate predominance of the data.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
I care less about his ability run and more about can he hold his ground powerful DT's.
These notes are from mfldraftbuzz. Saw similar elsewhere:

• His hands aren’t violent enough to stand pass rushers up early in the down, and Bortolini generally plays with poor balance.
  • Can struggle to stay engaged, especially on the second level. His hand placement can be sloppy, costing him power.
  • He’ll give effort, but doesn’t generate much power at the point of attack. He’s not the type of interior blocker who can re-establish the line of scrimmage, instead relying on angles and technique to win.
Not surprising comments. You would have to figure the trade off for all that quickness is strength/power. There’s a reason he’s not an early projection.

Chasing6

Reaction score
No, that’s not how that works.

Every data set has outliers. The existence of an outlier doesn’t negate predominance of the data.
Number one data point should come from game film and competition level. Not from the combine.

Chasing6

Reaction score
These notes are from mfldraftbuzz. Saw similar elsewhere:

• His hands aren’t violent enough to stand pass rushers up early in the down, and Bortolini generally plays with poor balance.
  • Can struggle to stay engaged, especially on the second level. His hand placement can be sloppy, costing him power.
  • He’ll give effort, but doesn’t generate much power at the point of attack. He’s not the type of interior blocker who can re-establish the line of scrimmage, instead relying on angles and technique to win.
Not surprising comments. You would have to figure the trade off for all that quickness is strength/power. There’s a reason he’s not an early projection.
If JPJ could somehow fall to us at 24, I think it would dramatically change our running game overnight.

Then we resign Tyron, after he explores free agency and we send in GM Jeruh to clean up Stephen's mess.

Part of me is thinking GM Jeruh is intentionally making team decisions in an attempt to put more pressure on Dak to negotiate. It sounds like Dak is willing to negotiate.

I believe that is why we were hearing frustration from CD and Micah's families. They believe their big pay day is being helped up by Dak.

Dak has plenty of money and wants to win. Just get to the table and figure it out and if you can't then move on. Doing nothing and waiting, is another idiotic approach by GM Jeruh. This may have worked prior to the salary cap, but not today. To many other decisions are tied to this one decision.

GM Jeruh, not signing Tyron, extending CD or Micah is all on GM Jeruh, he can try to blame it on Dak's contract all he wants. He created and signed Dak's last contract.

Stop playing games and act like a real GM.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Number one data point should come from game film and competition level. Not from the combine.
Of course, but that’s stating the obvious and arguing a point nobody made.

However, dismissing a bell curve of data that shows a historical trend is foolhardy.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Of course, but that’s stating the obvious and arguing a point nobody made.

However, dismissing a bell curve of data that shows a historical trend is foolhardy.
I disagree. The combine is to confirm what you see on the field. If you see test results that don't match production it is just potential.

They're plenty of great test tackers. If you don't understand the game I don't care how fast you are. If your first step is in the wrong direction then you become slow.