Tanor Bortolini C Wisconsin

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I disagree. The combine is to confirm what you see on the field. If you see test results that don't match production it is just potential.

They're plenty of great test tackers. If you don't understand the game I don't care how fast you are. If your first step is in the wrong direction then you become slow.

The Combine is intended to provide a place for teams to run you through medicals, interview you, and see how you physically compete/measure against your peers running football-like tests.

There are endless examples of good/great players that produced at the college level but didn’t find success in the NFL. In fact, it can be argued every prospect invited to the Combine had some measure of productivity/success at the college level.

So why then do some of those good college players fail? Among many possible reasons, because they’ve maximized their physical abilities or don’t measure up to the athletic standards found at the professional level.

Last edited:

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Until you are pushed into your QB's lap.
Read the college scouting reports for some of your best centers in the league. Humphrey, Linderbaum, Kelce, even our old friend Connor Williams. All of them have a couple lines that basically say "will struggle with one-on-one bull rushes". And it just hasn't held them back in the pros.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Read the college scouting reports for some of your best centers in the league. Humphrey, Linderbaum, Kelce, even our old friend Connor Williams. All of them have a couple lines that basically say "will struggle with one-on-one bull rushes". And it just hasn't held them back in the pros.
Then we should resign Biadasz. Different offenses run different schemes. So yes, you can be successful a certain way. That is not the scheme we run.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Biadasz struggles with the bull rush. There are 3 projected Centers that do not. That can create space and immediately improve our run game.

And they're all projected to go earlier than Bortolini too.

I'm not saying this guy is a better prospect than a 320 lb dancing bear All-American like JPJ. He's a mid rounder, but he has traits that lead to disproportionately high success.

1942willys

Reaction score
We need a center that can dominate; and will not be bull rushed. Biadasz is neither and replacing him with a clone is stupid

Chasing6

Reaction score
And they're all projected to go earlier than Bortolini too.

I'm not saying this guy is a better prospect than a 320 lb dancing bear All-American like JPJ. He's a mid rounder, but he has traits that lead to disproportionately high success.
So you are interested in replacing Biadazs, with Biadazs.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
So you are interested in replacing Biadazs, with Biadazs.
For $1M a season on a rookie deal? Sure, I'll go on that ride again.

It's better than replacing Tyron with Matt Waletzko because we spent our 1st rounder on a center.

Chasing6

Reaction score

It's better than replacing Tyron with Matt Waletzko because we spent our 1st rounder on a center.
Don't be surprised when Tyron is back.

1942willys

Reaction score

replacing mediocrity with mediocrity sounds like Jerry
cheap way to go
after all Super bowls are meaningless when you got billions

Chasing6

Reaction score

Saves money, but does not fix the problem.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
replacing mediocrity with mediocrity sounds like Jerry
cheap way to go
after all Super bowls are meaningless when you got billions
Every NFL team has a finite amount of resources to allocate. So what kind of roster tradeoffs are you willing to make? Would you rather have a 1st round LT and a 5th round center, or a 1st round center and a 5th round LT?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Every NFL team has a finite amount of resources to allocate. So what kind of roster tradeoffs are you willing to make? Would you rather have a 1st round LT and a 5th round center, or a 1st round center and a 5th round LT?
We need to hit on a very high success rate regardless of who we are drafting. We seem to be good at evaluating OLineman early.

Keep doing what we are good at. An elite OLine helps the entire team.

Carson

Reaction score
We need to hit on a very high success rate regardless of who we are drafting. We seem to be good at evaluating OLineman early.

Keep doing what we are good at. An elite OLine helps the entire team.
Agreed. Would love Fautanu at 24. Follow it up with Benson in the second. 3rd you go BPA, Toss is Tanor later