Video: Tape Really Shows Sam Williams' Talent

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Williams will be one the of rookies I will keep an eye on more than others for his development. He is the right replacement to bring along to replace unreliable Gregory.
Have a few 2nd year players also to look at for development and better play.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
We stole this guy. To me, he is the best DE in the entire draft. I haven't seen anyone, still need to look at Thibs, who has his ability.

RDE probably has the highest positional value on the Cowboys defense. Thibs was the top player on their board so I suspect he was their top RDE prospect, but it wouldn't surprise me if Williams was their second.

Although Jermaine Johnson was rated higher on their board than Williams, they may very well have taken Williams over Johnson if given the choice. Johnson may be more of a Dlaw type of DE to them. Williams is more like Gregory, which is the type of player they want at RDE.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
His first step looks good, or the Tackles he was going against were bad. I don't see a pass rush arsenal from him yet. Only speed to power. And definitely not a 1-2 down player. I see a situational 3rd down rusher current day. Needs to get stronger.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Dan Quinn isn't a miracle worker yall make him out to be.
Best football coach in the building since Wade Phillips.

Maybe neither was a great HC, but they knew their defensive game and how to get the most out of their guys and motivate them in that manner.

Not saying Quinn is the greatest ever, but I trust him to get pressure somehow with what we have.

Ken

Reaction score
His first step looks good, or the Tackles he was going against were bad. I don't see a pass rush arsenal from him yet. Only speed to power. And definitely not a 1-2 down player. I see a situational 3rd down rusher current day. Needs to get stronger.
Disagree with all of that.

Even in these clips he was literally pushing OTs into the qb...

Not sure how much stronger anyone needs lol.

He is fine with his hands and his inside charge is going to be deadly on the next level.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Thats’s fine because he doesn’t need to fill a starting role. If he does nothing else but rush the passer as a rookie I’d be fine with that.
I think that is more of a realistic expectation. People expecting another Parsons type impact will be disappointed.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Sam just needs to be the designated pass rusher this season. Along with Fowler and Armstrong that should be more the enough to replace Gregory. I agree with you about expectations. The Fans need to put more expectations on Gholston, Joseph, Osa and the rest of 2021 draft class. That class will actually be the key to our season.
Yes, 2nd year players should take the next step in their development, Hopefully, they got stronger and a more understanding of Quinn's system.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Parsons was an exception. I remember Lawrence's rookie season, back when he was a sack artist. Expecting similar numbers for Williams, although he'll probably have more sacks in the 1st half of the season than Lawrence did.
If I remember, DLaw missed half of the season and his 1st sack came against the Lions in the playoffs.

reddyuta

Reaction score
speed rushers make immediate impact even in the first year,its how they develop thats more important.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Disagree with all of that.
Even in these clips he was literally pushing OTs into the qb...
Not sure how much stronger anyone needs lol.
He is fine with his hands and his inside charge is going to be deadly on the next level.

So a pass rush 3rd down guy at Ole Miss is gonna play all 3 downs in the NFL? BC in college he lacked the power to stuff the run in the SEC? Have you ever seen him play? He literally is nothing but a pass rush guy.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think that is more of a realistic expectation. People expecting another Parsons type impact will be disappointed.
I'm not even sure how often Fowler is going to see 1st and 2nd down with Armstrong and his 6.5m salary around, and Williams is behind Fowler for now.

I think Quinn will make use of all these guys in dime packages and get pressure.

Understanding exactly how is above my level of knowledge, I just trust that he will make it happen.

Think Strahan/Tuck/Kiwanuka/JPP all rushing at once. Stole a couple of SB that way.

Maybe....Parsons/Lawrence/Williams/Fowler.

Getting home with four is the key to success!!

Ken

Reaction score
So a pass rush 3rd down guy at Ole Miss is gonna play all 3 downs in the NFL? BC in college he lacked the power to stuff the run in the SEC? Have you ever seen him play? He literally is nothing but a pass rush guy.
Have you seen him play???

He literally never comes off the field. He also played end in a 3-3-5 defense where a lot of the time he was head up or inside shade on the tackle.

It is overblown severely the knock on him vs the run.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Best football coach in the building since Wade Phillips.

Maybe neither was a great HC, but they knew their defensive game and how to get the most out of their guys and motivate them in that manner.

Not saying Quinn is the greatest ever, but I trust him to get pressure somehow with what we have.
I wasn't impressed with his niners gameplan.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Dan Quinn will be right there with De Williams to get him acclimated and developed, just like he did with Micah Parsons. I'm not worried about what kind of a work ethic Williams might have, since Quinn is so very proactive about developing his most talented players. That's not to say his work ethic isn't good or anything of the sort. He'll be subjected to a very active training regimen, with Quinn right there to make sure he gets exactly that. :)

DonaldM

Reaction score
I'd rather have Reggie White, plus I read where Eli said he is overrated. Can't find it...

He is quick.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
A couple of things to note: Sam did relatively well against Charles Cross and Evan Neal. Directly below is Williams' game against Cross. Below that, is his entire game against Neal.

Anyway, xwalker pointed out how Sam would have been a first round pick if not for his off-the-field issues. But he seems to be past that part of his life.

I sense he's probably a hard worker, and his skillset will only improve.

As days go by, I realize Williams is probably the most talented player we drafted, by far. I'm looking forward to watching him.

It's a good game. Look out for Dontario Drummond on the Ole Miss offense. He's also on our roster. Could be a good pick up.

A couple of things.
1. Wins mostly with Speed off Edge.
2. Can get run out of plays.
3. he does not use his LONG arms enough.... he gets bullied and run out of plays. He's Got heavy hands when he uses his long arms but for some reason he does not use them that much in this game and the OT gets in to his Chest and controls him. NOW he did have some plays where he won but IMO not as many as he was stonewalled.

So All in All i think he's a mirror of Gregory in year 1 because i saw same things with him. IF he can learn a counter inside move and Dan Teach the kid to always use those Crazy long arms he's going to be unstoppable. He's Got the Tools and Heavy hands to really do some damage but he's just got a lot of learning to do still. I think 1st year rotational Pass rusher. 2nd year if he learns the nuances of the game and starts doing them sky's the limit on him.