Target on Jason Garrett

cern

Reaction score
The one thing I think he brings to the table that Jerry refuses to is Will McClay as his GM in waiting.......is Will the answer? I have no idea but it's worth a try........the one we've had going on three decades certainly isn't the one, as has been proven many times.
I think you're right. while it was jerry who had the teary eyed meeting with dez, it was Stephen who convinced daddy it was time to move on. imo, garrett will be next. Stephen was furious with the coaching staff after the 2015 season. and I have a feeling the events of last year and the way things came down on jerry in his battles against goodell and the nfl in general had a far more stressful effect on our aging owner/gm than anyone can guess. a gold jacket one year, a slap in the face the next. the war on the eastern front was hard on jerry. I personally think Stephen's a sharp young man and the team will be better off with him at the helm.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
So now that Dez talked to Jerry, when is the Clapper's appointment?
It'll be after this year if he doesn't lead us deep into the playoffs. Like the OP noted, the spotlight is squarely on clapper now.

visionary

Reaction score
And the rest of the coaching staff, Dak, and anyone else there are questions about with regards to the entire makeup of the squad. This is Stephen's gig and as more time passes it becomes more clear. The only reason Jason Witten is still with the squad is because of his positive influence on everyone in the locker room and especially Dak.

They are hoping that the offense runs over other teams and if not, then wholesale changes are coming next offseason. I know everyone thinks it is hyperbole to say that Jason is ever on the hot seat, but I don't think Stephen is as buddy buddy with Jason as his dad. I think this could all end with a brand new coaching arrangement (depending on the season results).

I don't think Stephen really cares if the team gets smoked in the upcoming season-I think he actually cares about tearing some stuff down and beginning again if it means more post-season success. What say you?

Wake me up when he hires a GM :thumbup:

Blitzen

Reaction score
Wake me up when he hires a GM :thumbup:

His name is Will McClay. Jerry has been keeping the seat warm for quite awhile (hoping that a SB would happen so that he can officially retire and flip off Jimmy one last time on national TV).

Reaction score
Jerry might be a poor general manager or football guy. That can be debated for the next 29 years, just like it has for the last 29 years, but don't forget which of Jerry and Stephen is a self-made billionaire who has at times demonstrated moments of brilliance. The other is just the son of a billionaire who has no track record of personal success in or out of football. I was excited for the Stephen era, but I think he suffers from the same affliction as a lot of children of rich parents. He has no idea what it is to be to low man on the totem pole. No concept of working for someone in a capacity where you can be fired. No experience being desperate. A charmed life leads to a distorted view of real life for real people. I think we're seeing signs of this play out in the public forum. The dude just doesn't know or care about social perception. Now, under his "leadership" the Cowboys can be identified as a team that treats their players badly (according to other players in the league). If the Cowboys wanted to cut Dez and move on, they should have done it the right way and tried to trade him or release him before the start of free agency. It's not like they just work up one day this week and had the idea to move on. Now to players in the league, the Cowboys are a mediocre team who are cheap and treat their players poorly when the club no longer has the better end of the deal. Compare that to a team with a reputation of still being mediocre but also being generous with their money and immensely loyal to their best players. NFL players, and most people, would consistently choose the latter. I'm not saying being loyal and stupid with your money is a winning formula, but I don't think being cheap and shady is either. It doesn't help when I add in a coach who is a probably a good leader, but a lousy game day coach. If I'm an honest sports fan, it is difficult for me to see this organization competing for anything any time soon.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Jason Garrett is gonna get a promotion, if anything. He's like family at this point

Rally

Reaction score
And the rest of the coaching staff, Dak, and anyone else there are questions about with regards to the entire makeup of the squad. This is Stephen's gig and as more time passes it becomes more clear. The only reason Jason Witten is still with the squad is because of his positive influence on everyone in the locker room and especially Dak.

They are hoping that the offense runs over other teams and if not, then wholesale changes are coming next offseason. I know everyone thinks it is hyperbole to say that Jason is ever on the hot seat, but I don't think Stephen is as buddy buddy with Jason as his dad. I think this could all end with a brand new coaching arrangement (depending on the season results).

I don't think Stephen really cares if the team gets smoked in the upcoming season-I think he actually cares about tearing some stuff down and beginning again if it means more post-season success. What say you?

Lame duck coaching staff. Confidence is deminishing.

cern

Reaction score
Stephen's sharp as hell. those unable to see this might not be as sharp as they think. I look forward to the day daddy totally removes himself from the equation and turns over the running of the cowboys to Stephen.

visionary

Reaction score
His name is Will McClay. Jerry has been keeping the seat warm for quite awhile (hoping that a SB would happen so that he can officially retire and flip off Jimmy one last time on national TV).

So, did Mcclay meet with Dez and fire him today?
I must've missed it

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Garrett sucks.

He's your typical "corporate" man like Smithers of "The Simpsons".

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Stephen's sharp as hell. those unable to see this might not be as sharp as they think. I look forward to the day daddy totally removes himself from the equation and turns over the running of the cowboys to Stephen.
Seems like the same thing people have been telling me about Garrett for years. The only thing I want out of Stephen is to hire a real GM when he takes over.