Tashard Choice

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Givincer;2450099 said:
Why?

The guy's averaged 5 yards a carry in his limited opportunities.

I don't see any reason he's not going to get it done just fine. It's not like our offense is centered around our running game in the least, regardless.

If he can catch, and if he can pass block as well as he blocked Peterson in the game yesterday consistently, I don't see why he shouldn't be able to get the job done.

5 YPC is irrelevant seeing that much came against either bad teams or in garbage time

to believe strongly that our 3rd string back can come in and give us what we need as a starter against some of the best defensive teams in the league is wishful thinking.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
If you ask Choice who he thinks is more prepared to start the next bunch of games, he'd say Barber and I agree. I am glad to have Choice, but you resigned Barber for stretches like the one coming up, not for garbage teams like Seattle.

Givincer

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2450486 said:
5 YPC is irrelevant seeing that much came against either bad teams or in garbage time

to believe strongly that our 3rd string back can come in and give us what we need as a starter against some of the best defensive teams in the league is wishful thinking.

5 YPC is all we have to judge him on, since that's all the opportunities he's received... All we can judge the guy on is what we've seen him do, and what we've seen him do thus far is not too bad. What are you judging him on?

Like I said, our running game is not the focal point of this offense; it's far from it. Therefore, I think our team can start our third string running back and not miss a beat, regardless of any fall off in production that takes place with our rushing game.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2450486 said:

Hang on for the ride. Wishful thinking is all you got, brother.............

dwmyers

Reaction score
jobberone;2450045 said:
I like him and I like the way he runs. But he's not a MB.

Nobody is the MB of the average Cowboy fan's imagination, not even Barber himself. His reputation is based on being rested in the 4th quarter. He's an excellent finisher. But his YPC this year is worse than Julius Jones YPC last year.

He's a small back and he needs to be rested. The only team I know of that spits at the curse of 370 and runs their small back 25+ carries a game is Pittsburgh.. and how healthy is Willie Parker these days?

I'm probably going to be a lonely voice here, but I'd start Choice and finish with Barber.

dwmyers

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2450486 said:
5 YPC is irrelevant seeing that much came against either bad teams or in garbage time.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Marion's rep was (and is) based on running for terrific yardage in "garbage time". His YPC as a starter is actually pretty mediocre (up to 3.9 YPC, now that I look).

If we're going to continue to run a small back into the teeth of rested defenses, it's nice to know that Choice can act as a finisher.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Givincer;2450637 said:
5 YPC is all we have to judge him on, since that's all the opportunities he's received... All we can judge the guy on is what we've seen him do, and what we've seen him do thus far is not too bad. What are you judging him on?

Like I said, our running game is not the focal point of this offense; it's far from it. Therefore, I think our team can start our third string running back and not miss a beat, regardless of any fall off in production that takes place with our rushing game.

no you can judge him on what other teams thought of him - e.g., his draft position. his 3.3 ypc in the preseason. his terrible fumble on the backward pass

he's a mixed bag - I don't see anything that says he can be the guy for us - that's not a knock on him. just a realistic evaluation. he's not a bad player but his role in the NFL is going to be backup who possibly can fill in as the 2nd guy in a rotation if someone is hurt.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dwmyers;2450683 said:
Pot. Kettle. Black.

Marion's rep was (and is) based on running for terrific yardage in "garbage time". His YPC as a starter is actually pretty mediocre (up to 3.9 YPC, now that I look).

If we're going to continue to run a small back into the teeth of rested defenses, it's nice to know that Choice can act as a finisher.

Big difference between Barber who had over 500 carries (reg and playoff) before this season and Choice who has had 30 so far, few of which have been in situations where the game outcome was in question.

Givincer

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2450859 said:
no you can judge him on what other teams thought of him - e.g., his draft position. his 3.3 ypc in the preseason. his terrible fumble on the backward pass

he's a mixed bag - I don't see anything that says he can be the guy for us - that's not a knock on him. just a realistic evaluation. he's not a bad player but his role in the NFL is going to be backup who possibly can fill in as the 2nd guy in a rotation if someone is hurt.

But by saying you "don't see anything that says he can be the guy for us" (for a few games...), you're saying that you are refusing to take into account the good he has done in his opportunities. And evidently you are only going to take into account the bad (his terrible fumble on the backward pass... that probably wasn't even his fault).

A realistic evaluation would take into account all he's done in the NFL in his limited opportunities. And like it or not, that includes his YPC and the job he did against Peterson. Also, if YPC matters in preseason, why doesn't it matter in the regular season? In my eyes, for our discussion, his YPC in the preseason is meaningless, because he's playing behind an entirely different line.

Essentially, what I think is Choice will not stop our offense from scoring 30-40 points a game. I just think it'd take a really really bad running back to do that to our team. And I don't think Choice is really really bad... there's no evidence of that.

Seven

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2450859 said:

You're kidding, right? You know that was a horrid "play" that ended in a interception. Tagging Choice for that is grasping. Far from a realistic eval.

3.3yds per attempt? You haven't seen what we have as back-up O-linemen? That's pretty kick-*** from what I've seen of that group. Far from a realistic eval.

Judging what other teams thought of him is ridiculous. Not one team thought Romo was worth a pick. Far from a realistic eval.

It's plain silly to say one can evaluate Choice, one way or the other. You have no proof just a bunch of obvious "means nothing" analogy. You annointing him back-up? Way to go out on a limb, big guy. He's only competing w/ Barber. :rolleyes:

Very far from a realistic evaluation..............

Seven

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2450486 said:

Yet 3.3 in pre-season is relevant?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Seven;2450887 said:
You're kidding, right? You know that was a horrid "play" that ended in a interception. Tagging Choice for that is grasping. Far from a realistic eval.

That play ended in a fumble. But hey, thanks for playing. That was on Choice. He's got to hold on to the ball.

Seven;2450887 said:
3.3yds per attempt? You haven't seen what we have as back-up O-linemen? That's pretty kick-*** from what I've seen of that group. Far from a realistic eval.

Against backup DL and LBs for another team? It is a limited amount of carries but it doesn't jump out and say "I can be a first string player"

Seven;2450887 said:
Judging what other teams thought of him is ridiculous. Not one team thought Romo was worth a pick. Far from a realistic eval.

Talk about grasping. Romo didn't come in and do anything his first few years. We aren't talking about what Choice could develop into. We are talking about where he is right now.

Seven;2450887 said:
It's plain silly to say one can evaluate Choice, one way or the other. You have no proof just a bunch of obvious "means nothing" analogy. You annointing him back-up? Way to go out on a limb, big guy. He's only competing w/ Barber. :rolleyes:

If you actually read my post, I was telling folks that evaluating Choice as ready to take a lead role was silly. People pointed to his YPC and certain positives. And I brought them back to earth by pointing out negatives. Fact is, Choice has been a mixed bag. And if he starts we are likely to see that same mixed bag rather than the positives that people focus on.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Givincer;2450885 said:
But by saying you "don't see anything that says he can be the guy for us" (for a few games...), you're saying that you are refusing to take into account the good he has done in his opportunities. And evidently you are only going to take into account the bad (his terrible fumble on the backward pass... that probably wasn't even his fault).

A realistic evaluation would take into account all he's done in the NFL in his limited opportunities. And like it or not, that includes his YPC and the job he did against Peterson. Also, if YPC matters in preseason, why doesn't it matter in the regular season? In my eyes, for our discussion, his YPC in the preseason is meaningless, because he's playing behind an entirely different line.

Essentially, what I think is Choice will not stop our offense from scoring 30-40 points a game. I just think it'd take a really really bad running back to do that to our team. And I don't think Choice is really really bad... there's no evidence of that.

Wow, you talk about a realistic evaluation but all you do is focus on the positives. That isn't a realistic evaluation -- it is ignoring the bad stuff.

You make excuses for his preseason average. But fail to point out that his regular season YPC comes primarily against beaten down defenses. Context cuts both ways. And we can go all day in either direction.

I really want to believe that Choice isn't going to stop us from scoring 30-40 points a game. But right now that is just wishful thinking.

Eskimo

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2450918 said:
More data = Better information.

But that data is collected playing with a different OL and without a gameplan.

When you see him on the field you can see he has great vision and agility and a bit of burst. How he does against NFL level tackling over the course of a while game and blitz pickup is still unknown.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Eskimo;2450944 said:
But that data is collected playing with a different OL and without a gameplan.

When you see him on the field you can see he has great vision and agility and a bit of burst. How he does against NFL level tackling over the course of a while game and blitz pickup is still unknown.

Of course much of his play in the regular season is against defense that has had its butt kicked and just wants to go home. So there's that too.

Eskimo

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2450963 said:
Of course much of his play in the regular season is against defense that has had its butt kicked and just wants to go home. So there's that too.

Like I said, we need to see more from him in real game situations but his preseason data is pretty irrelevant for statistical prognostication.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Eskimo;2450975 said:
Like I said, we need to see more from him in real game situations but his preseason data is pretty irrelevant for statistical prognostication.

Same argument can be made for his garbage time stats.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Wow ...... I am surprised some people are so determined to be down on one of our young guys.

He has played very good when he has been given a chance.

deepBLUE

Reaction score
i like choice...he's gonna do fine.

here's a question...(i am still crying in my beer about felix jones) why can't we sneak adam jones in once or twice, in a game...and let him run around the edge (or motion out for a pass)? his speed might catch defenses unawares, since they are expecting a battering-ram. this might mitigate the loss of felix, a little bit.