Tavon Austin said he did what he was supposed to do on the punt

BigCowboysHomer

Reaction score
Garrett blame miscommunication on Tavon Austin’s final fair catch

Austin was just following orders, or so he thought, when he raised his hand with no Viking anywhere close to him.

“We didn’t communicate that well enough,” Garrett said Monday. “In that situation, you’ve got a couple of different options. You can go try to block the punt. We decided not to do that. We decided that we thought there would be a good chance that we could get the ball around the 50-yard line. The biggest coaching point for Tavon was make sure you don’t bleed the rest of this time off by spending a lot of time trying to return the ball. So fair catch was a very viable option. The part of it that we didn’t communicate well enough was just simply if you do feel like you have a good return opportunity, take advantage of it. Catch it and go north and south and get as much as you could. We did a poor job as a staff making sure he understood that. Hopefully, we’ll learn from that experience.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...munication-on-tavon-austins-final-fair-catch/

Miscommunication or BAD communication from the head coach to a player on a key play?

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Tavon says that he wanted the ball in his hands. Which makes me believe that he would have returned the ball if it was his choice to do so. Between this and the fact that film shows a running play was called, despite Garrett saying that a RPO was called with Dak having the option to throw or keep it to himself, is proof that Garrett is intentionally trying to be misleading to save himself and is throwing players under the bus to do so.

If this team loses most of their remaining games and missing the playoffs, I can see them turning on Garrett or Garrett losing the locker room, after blaming the players to save himself. All the more reason for him to be fired.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Yeah. If I had to guess they probably told him if hes going to return it he better be positive its worth the rub.

Or somewhere between him, Garrett and special teams coach there was a complete break down in communication.

I still dont think hed have made that choice without the coaches planting that seed. The way he reacted and the press conference differ from what Garrett said. Someone is full of crap or they need to work on their communication skills.

That's another big problem with this broken team. There is absolutely little to no communication. Garrett never speaks on the sidelines. I remember watching a Sounds from the Sidelines video where Sean Lee had to tell the defense to over communicate (I think this was the Eagles game after their loss streak), meaning they probably never really communicated in the first place. Rod and Richard probably disagree on play calls, leaving the defense confused and looking inconsistent every week. Now this with Tavon, Garrett, and the ST coach. This team is very close to being what I consider a dumpster fire (besides the talent on the roster).

Reactions: CWR

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Dak still should have kept it ran hard right, he had a lane..enough blame to go around for this 4 point loss..i blame the defense..period..

Yeah, I'm sure that this is one of those plays that a QB wishes that he could have back to do over again. The defense shares the blame in the fact that they failed to step up right after the offense's 3rd TD drive. Could have swung the momentum if they had made a couple of stops after that drive.