Tavon Austin said he did what he was supposed to do on the punt

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I wish he would have ignored the coaching staff and ran it back, but then I remember how the coaching staff or Linehan punished Cooper for talking about how he and Dak had to change up a bad, conservative play call. (Which worked for a big pass play). So I wonder if Garrett and this coaching staff is so stuck in their ways that they would have punished Tavon in some way for not listening to them.

I'm sick of these coaches not utilizing a players best talents and wasting away well played games by a Cowboys QB. :facepalm:
he benched randall for scoring a td, because he ad libbed and jumped over the pile.
Had he not leaped it would not have been a td and they take a fg.
JG and his coaches care more about players doing as they are told than winning games and making plays.
They chewed on randle on the sideline , after he scored the td, and that should be done in locker room if at all.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
At this point, who are you going to believe? Garrett who is on the verge of losing his job, or Tavon who risks fallout for lying in that situation?

I beg to differ, Garrett is on the verge of getting a contract extension ; and Tavon will soon be cut for saying what he said .

Im not even joking .

Jerry says its not about winning, its about not worrying about whats said to the press . <--- radio quote .

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
he benched randall for scoring a td, because he ad libbed and jumped over the pile.
Had he not leaped it would not have been a td and they take a fg.
JG and his coaches care more about players doing as they are told than winning games and making plays.
They chewed on randle on the sideline , after he scored the td, and that should be done in locker room if at all.
But then we wouldn't have seen it happen, and it would've been another "Garrett doesn't hold the players accountable!"

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Worst part of that stupidity is they run three short outs to gain a total of nine yards. Meanwhile they probably could have gotten fifteen or more in less time with Tavon who is on the roster to make plays in the return game.
yeah but JG goes with what most coaches do, what is safest and ordinary.
The truth is in that situation the team any team can rarely get a td, hail marys rarely work.
The best thing to do is go all out to block the punt, and then if no block return it too.
Or go all out for a return.

I will say this again, tavon called fair catch so quick, the Minn players stopped running and so did cowboy players,
so it looked more open than it would have been had he not called FC.
But the chances of a return for td, and the blocking of a punt are greater than doing the hail mary, and that is just IMO.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Had to go on my top 10 list of furious NFL moments. Only because it was so inexplicable. We had a guy back there who is capable of going all the way, and he had 15 yards of cushion! How stupid do you have to be? Was it so important to save time for 2 screens? Piss poor coaching. NO player worth a damn would make the decision. It was all on Garrett.

I'm sure there will be a lot of press on this in the coming week. The way I read the quotes is that the ST Coach told Austin to FC, which he took as an absolute. I take Garrett's comments as meaning that if the play breaks so you have that much open field in front of you, you shake off the sign and take the return while getting out of bounds so you don't run the clock out. Garrett is saying a Veteran player needs to make that decision and adjust to the play.

Its like calling an off tackle run to position for a FG on the hash mark you want. The RB knows to get to that side and get down so a TO is called. But if every defender falls down and you have clear sailing to the end zone, you don't take a knee because the play was called for one yard to that side of the field.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Also the real messup was when they were 1st down in redzone, and decided to run elliot 2 times then throw to him lol.
that was when they lost the game, that was really dumb, so who was behind that?
Kellen? JG? Dak?
I would have been passing, and or having dak run. they needed the td there not the fg, and it was like they were playing
for the fg. being conservative.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Yes,that’s the problem. A bunch of micro managed bullcrap where common sense should be applied.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The ONE thing Garrett had going for him was his relationship with the locker room. If he betrayed that after the game yesterday and sold his guys out to free himself from blame......IT'S OVER for him!

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I'm sure there will be a lot of press on this in the coming week. The way I read the quotes is that the ST Coach told Austin to FC, which he took as an absolute. I take Garrett's comments as meaning that if the play breaks so you have that much open field in front of you, you shake off the sign and take the return while getting out of bounds so you don't run the clock out. Garrett is saying a Veteran player needs to make that decision and adjust to the play.

Its like calling an off tackle run to position for a FG on the hash mark you want. The RB knows to get to that side and get down so a TO is called. But if every defender falls down and you have clear sailing to the end zone, you don't take a knee because the play was called for one yard to that side of the field.
part of being a good hc is having your team and each player prepared for these scenarios, and clearly the team and tavon
were not prepared.
Also you cant tell the guy to run it if he thinks he can, you have to tell them to either run it or FC in that situation.
A player has to call FC before the ball starts down, and to analyze the field before that is near impossible.
And for this situation it IMO would be better to just tell him to return it, all you need is enough time for 1 play. and the clock stops
when he is tackled, and no return is going to take 35 seconds.
On the hail mary 3 dallas players in the endzone, and none of them got to the ball which dak did good putting in the endZone.
Only jarwin made a good attempt but I think he jumped too early.
And it was a standard attempt, nothing innovative.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Guys, Garrett answered this question ; directly .

He said Austin decided to fair catch it , on his own . Its clearly taped .

KB1122

Reaction score
I'm more or less in favor of us fair catching as much as we do. For every big return you get, you're going to get 4 or 5 penalties and a fumble here and there. But it doesn't ever look better than that play. And I don't understand investing money in a brand name kick returner if fair catching is going to our default policy. That's what I don't get.

The big thing here is that Garrett is coaching us like we're a Super Bowl favorite. We're not. We might be good enough to get there if we peak at the right time. But we're going to have to take risks to get there. Otherwise we're going to be 9-7.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
In Garrett's press conference right now he changed his tune saying the coaching staff didn't do a good enough job communicating to Tavon to take advantage of opportunities if it presents itself (still spreading the blame).

BTW, Dallas media sucks... Ask a question Garrett jumps around the answer using antiquated coaches speak avoiding the actual question and the person asking the question moves on to the next question instead of asking the tough follow up questions.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Austin should have used his judgement. Whether he was told to fair catch or not.. He had a huge lane and would have been either a TD or no longer a must Hail Mary.. JG not trusting his players.

Zman5

Reaction score
Went back and listened to it again, they did say the 2nd down they blocked and 3rd down Witten ran a slant against their pro bowl safety... I stand corrected.

On the 3rd down play, had Dak passed the ball, CWilliams could have been called for ineligible receiver downfield penalty. He was about 3-4 yards down field from the LOS run blocking.
All the OL were right at the LOS but him.

Kaiser

Reaction score
A player has to call FC before the ball starts down, and to analyze the field before that is near impossible.

You are right, but it does seem like on that play Austin would know he had room even early on in the play.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You are right, but it does seem like on that play Austin would know he had room even early on in the play.
That is true , if Minn expected a block and was slow to get down field, but if tavon was told to FC it, then he had to do that.
We dont know what he was told, I dont believe JG or what he says.
The thing is IMO I think as HC you tell tavon to run it back no matter what, get a return, because there is a better chance of
a return for td on a punt than to try for a hail mary.
As a HC in that situation , I would go for the block and for the return or just the return. Hail marys rarely work.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
yeah but JG goes with what most coaches do, what is safest and ordinary.
The truth is in that situation the team any team can rarely get a td, hail marys rarely work.
The best thing to do is go all out to block the punt, and then if no block return it too.
Or go all out for a return.

I will say this again, tavon called fair catch so quick, the Minn players stopped running and so did cowboy players,
so it looked more open than it would have been had he not called FC.
But the chances of a return for td, and the blocking of a punt are greater than doing the hail mary, and that is just IMO.

yes they did slow down, but even at full speed I think he has ten yards of open field before he would have been touched. Fifteen yards there would have probably been a cake walk for Austin.