Tavon Austin said he did what he was supposed to do on the punt

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree.

50 reporters: "Why didn't you take all those easy yards???"

Tavon Austin: "I was told to fair catch"

50 posters on this site "I knew Jason Garrett worshipped Satan!!!"
Has nothing to do with the conversation. This is about accountability.

Garrett, or a member of Garrett's staff, told Austin to fair catch the ball. Then said he didn't because everyone and their blind granny saw that there was an easy 20 yards for the taking on that punt so it made the call, thus Garrett, look stupid. Instead of owning it and just saying "yeah, it's kind of the protocol in that situation to have your returner fair catch it so that's what we did," which would have been accurate and the right thing to do, he goes out and says, "oh no, that wasn't us telling him that, that was all him! It was his fault!"

Garrett is a gutless sack and he should be ashamed of himself.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score

This reaction by someone, possibly the ST coach, now makes me think Austin either made the decision or misinterpreted his instructions.

Then again, it could be a random Cowboys employee on the sideline.

Gaede

Reaction score
That's a fireable mistake, IMO. We could've won the game right then and there. But we played it safe, like we always do. Garrett's cowardice has cost this team countless games.

GMO415

Reaction score
You don't put Austin back there unless you gonna return shhhhh

Reactions: CWR

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
According to Jeff Cavanaugh on 103.5 the fan. Tavon Austin told him “I did what I was told to do” on the punt return......

Garret is trying to cover his pale ginger behind.

Not according to Garrett , he said he was given a choice to run the ball or signal a fair catch .

Garrett said Austin decided a fair catch.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's the weirdest part of it. In that situation, if you are going to just fair catch the ball then why not go for a punt block?
I talked about this earlier, and there really are several points against going for the block. The first is obviously that punt blocks are rare. The second is it would greatly increase the odds of a game ending roughing penalty. And finally, with the punter backed up so deep in is own territory, there is a good chance a blocked punt would go out the back of the end zone anyway, and 2 points wouldn't help us.

I think the right choice was to tell Austin to return the punt if he was confident of a big return, or fair catch and conserve time if not. Accordingly, the only question is whether this is how the team layed it out for Austin, or if he was told to fair catch no matter what. We really don't know.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score

This reaction by someone, possibly the ST coach, now makes me think Austin either made the decision or misinterpreted his instructions.

Then again, it could be a random Cowboys employee on the sideline.

Can't be sure from that distance, but it looks like linebackers coach Ben Bloom.

irishline

Reaction score
The film room should interesting when this tape is played. The punt was poor, a return looked to be in place and Austin could have easily gotten OOB after a decent return inside the 40.

He didn't have to get out of bounds. It was a punt and change of possession. The clock was going to stop anyway.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not according to Garrett , he said he was given a choice to run the ball or signal a fair catch .

Garrett said Austin decided a fair catch.

Of course, what Garrett said was that Austin was told to only return the punt if he was confident he could run North/South for a significant gain, and otherwise fair catch the punt to conserve time. Saying he did what he was told may have simply been saying he made the choice that he was asked to make.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
The receivers were blocking on 2nd and 2 play also. There was no pass option.

Went back and listened to it again, they did say the 2nd down they blocked and 3rd down Witten ran a slant against their pro bowl safety... I stand corrected.

CWR

Reaction score
You see the arrow and the coach's reaction?

Yeah. If I had to guess they probably told him if hes going to return it he better be positive its worth the rub.

Or somewhere between him, Garrett and special teams coach there was a complete break down in communication.

I still dont think hed have made that choice without the coaches planting that seed. The way he reacted and the press conference differ from what Garrett said. Someone is full of crap or they need to work on their communication skills.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Has nothing to do with the conversation. This is about accountability.

Garrett, or a member of Garrett's staff, told Austin to fair catch the ball. Then said he didn't because everyone and their blind granny saw that there was an easy 20 yards for the taking on that punt so it made the call, thus Garrett, look stupid. Instead of owning it and just saying "yeah, it's kind of the protocol in that situation to have your returner fair catch it so that's what we did," which would have been accurate and the right thing to do, he goes out and says, "oh no, that wasn't us telling him that, that was all him! It was his fault!"

Garrett is a gutless sack and he should be ashamed of himself.

Jerry will still expect these players to give it their all for a coach who is willing to scapegoat them and throw them under the bus to save himself. smh