Video: Tavon's first workout as a Cowboy

Swanny

Reaction score
Tiki Barber used to have fumble-itis and changed the way he held the ball and was a beast from there on. I have yet to see anyone else use this method. Will we wait until he loses a few fumbles in key situations before we address it? or will we be proactive about it?
Use The method? Carrying the ball high and tight is extremely common. I doubt that Austin hasn't had this drilled into his head already. For some bad habits are tough to break. Here's to hoping he can break that habit this year.
Just Googled Austin and boy does he like yo carry that ball away from his body

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Use The method? Carrying the ball high and tight is extremely common. I doubt that Austin hasn't had this drilled into his head already. For some bad habits are tough to break. Here's to hoping he can break that habit this year.
Just Googled Austin and boy does he like yo carry that ball away from his body

There's high and tight and there's high and tight. Tiki carried it almost on his shoulder .

I agree that Tiki is probably the first name to come up when you want to teach a smaller guy with fumble problems though .

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
The dudes a stud. You can't teach that type of speed. i noticed he had to slow down for several of those passes.....hope the timing will be defined by the end of TC.

Do you even know who was throwing him the ball? In must of these individual drills it’s not a QB. It’s usually the position coach or some random assistant.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Coaching in regards to fumbles is tricky.

Some coaches don't want the player to think about fumbling because of how it can get in their heads.

Other coaches have them carry a ball everywhere, use the bands on the ball and have them run through players lined up on both sides trying to dislodge the ball.

Jimmy Johnson once said he always used positive reinforcement telling the back to hold on to the ball as opposed to telling him not to fumble. May seem like a minor difference but as psychology major Jimmy believed in positive reinforcement

dfense

Reaction score

Some coaches don't want the player to think about fumbling because of how it can get in their heads.

Other coaches have them carry a ball everywhere, use the bands on the ball and have them run through players lined up on both sides trying to dislodge the ball.
I would tell him "if you fumble, I will cut you." That worked good for Jimmy.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Everything we hoped Dunbar would be.. Austin does better. Period. Great pickup for a 6th round flyer.
well other than his fumbling issues i was unaware of until CZ people alerted me to it.. if he does this a lot early on I promise you he will be benched and Thompson and Bease will be utilized in the same way.. we cant put up with players who make mistakes that cost us games consistently..I heard he fumbles a lot , maybe he can get this fixed..

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I've never played for a Coach who didn't want me to fear laying the ground on the ball. I wished I would have meet one of those guys.

LOL.........

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

Their was a guy 5 or 6 years older than me who was a high school running back football star,,, he was going in for the game winning TD ( as usual) and fumbled,,, well ,the team lost& he laid in bed for 3 days& wouldn't come out of his room cuz' he was so crushed at his perceived failure & the ridicule he'd face at school,,,, later on ,I'd went to his wedding ( he'd said me & his little brother could spend the weekend over at his new place with his wife& he'd get us drunk sometime) about 3 months later ,,,,I'd attended his funeral ,as he was killed on the drilling rig,,,Dennis was a cool dudeo_O

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Their was a guy 5 or 6 years older than me who was a high school running back football star,,, he was going in for the game winning TD ( as usual) and fumbled,,, well ,the team lost& he laid in bed for 3 days& wouldn't come out of his room cuz' he was so crushed at his perceived failure & the ridicule he'd face at school,,,, later on ,I'd went to his wedding ( he'd said me & his little brother could spend the weekend over at his new place with his wife& he'd get us drunk sometime) about 3 months later ,,,,I'd attended his funeral ,as he was killed on the drilling rig,,,Dennis was a cool dudeo_O

I knew a guy named Dennis that died due to a drilling rig accident. His Dad was a High School football coach.

What town were you in?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
well other than his fumbling issues i was unaware of until CZ people alerted me to it.. if he does this a lot early on I promise you he will be benched and Thompson and Bease will be utilized in the same way.. we cant put up with players who make mistakes that cost us games consistently..I heard he fumbles a lot , maybe he can get this fixed..

That's why he lost his punt returns job last season with the Rams, too many fumbles. He was replaced by Pharaoh Cooper and his blazing 4.63 40 time.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
The dudes a stud. You can't teach that type of speed. i noticed he had to slow down for several of those passes.....hope the timing will be defined by the end of TC.

You think Zeke will appreciate some speed to run linebackers out of his way now and then? If they are gonna back the box, we need someone who can get behind them.