TD Jourdan Lewis gave up was garbage

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
He played it so poorly I was thinking he expected someone to switch men with him.

Creeper

Reaction score
It looked to me like he was expecting something else on that play and that's why he was not running full speed to catch up with Allen. But, yeah, if he sprints to the other side of the field he would have been in position to at least contest the catch.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you have to understand the game a little better to criticize a play as lazy or weak sauce. There was a strong possibility Allen was gonna go back in motion again on the other side, which is what makes it a difficult play for the slot CB. What should have happened on the play is for all DBs to communicate and switch to a combination of man/zone, where Gilmore takes the outside (so Allen), and the other 2 CBs divide into a zone/man coverage on the two middle slots.
Nonsense.

He could have contested the catch if he kept running at full speed.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The TD pass that Jourdan Lewis gave up near the goal line was a product of trash effort and technique.

On the play, Keenan Allen goes into motion toward the right sideline. Lewis is in man coverage and lazily follows him in motion trailing 2-3 yards behind him. Ball is snapped and Allen runs a simple flat pattern in the endzone for an easy score because Lewis is effectively beaten in coverage before the ball is snapped.

Zero excuse for this weak sauce.

This same play has happened throughout the season and needs to be fixed. Happened twice against the Chargers.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The TD pass that Jourdan Lewis gave up near the goal line was a product of trash effort and technique.

On the play, Keenan Allen goes into motion toward the right sideline. Lewis is in man coverage and lazily follows him in motion trailing 2-3 yards behind him. Ball is snapped and Allen runs a simple flat pattern in the endzone for an easy score because Lewis is effectively beaten in coverage before the ball is snapped.

I was hoping this was brought up in postgame or in Quinns presser. Just terrible effort there.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
When Diggs got hurt, the issue was not Bland replacing him on the outside. It was Lewis replacing Bland in the nickle.

He is garbage and is a big reason the pass defense has fell off

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
When Diggs got hurt, the issue was not Bland replacing him on the outside. It was Lewis replacing Bland in the nickle.

He is garbage and is a big reason the pass defense has fell off
He’s coming off injury. I wondered would there be some rust there. He came back soon as Diggs got hurt. Lewis is a DOG. He was never the biggest guy but effort and toughness I never questioned. So I’m wondering what the issue here is.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Have to agree that's an effort \ awareness issue that we see all too often on this team.

Herbert couldn't wait to get the snap when he say JL trailing that badly.

Having said that, it seems to me that in those situations a lot of other teams have an automatic switch so the outside corner goes with the motion guy leaving the trailing defender in good position to pick up that guy. At the very least, it seems to give the QB a last minute change to what he thinks he is getting & would cause a slight hesitation.

lopey

Reaction score
Should of been benched. Terrible effort. Tesm culture allows this crap to go on

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
He’s coming off injury. I wondered would there be some rust there. He came back soon as Diggs got hurt. Lewis is a DOG. He was never the biggest guy but effort and toughness I never questioned. So I’m wondering what the issue here is.
Lewis was getting toasted even before the injury. He cant run. Too slow to play DB

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you have to understand the game a little better to criticize a play as lazy or weak sauce. There was a strong possibility Allen was gonna go back in motion again on the other side, which is what makes it a difficult play for the slot CB. What should have happened on the play is for all DBs to communicate and switch to a combination of man/zone, where Gilmore takes the outside (so Allen), and the other 2 CBs divide into a zone/man coverage on the two middle slots.
Yes, I thought at first why is he going is slow motion. I believe he thought it was another players responsibility to cover him. And Lewis would stay in the middle for any coverage. Then when no player went to cover Allen, it was too late for him to get to him.

It was definitely some kind of miscommunication.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Lewis was getting toasted even before the injury. He cant run. Too slow to play DB
This is my concern. With Lewis and now apparently Gilmore, it's going to be a struggle to stay in man like Quinn prefers to do. If the DL doesn't get home, WRs will definitely be running free in the secondary on longer developing crosser and downfield routes.

visionary

Reaction score

Agree
Also as deep as he is in the EZ, he really has zero shot at stopping the bigger Allen

sbark

Reaction score
THey have now seen it several times, chargers borrowed it from 49rs, will see it agsin.

They need to, as ssid earlier, switch off, cannot be predictable in how they handle that goalline defense.
Their predictability is a curse

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's clear Lewis didn't know who is was responsible for. He is looking at Ekeler and didn't switch until Herbert committed to the pass.