TD Jourdan Lewis gave up was garbage

J-man

Reaction score
Not defending Lewis on his poor effort but I need someone to clarify the rule for me.

Is Allen aloud to run towards the goal line while in motion? Because he clearly does that on this play. He comes across the formation and as he runs towards the sideline he starts to gain ground towards the goal line. Making it almost impossible for any trailing DB to stop him from being open on that route. I thought it was illegal for a player to move "forward" while in lotion, is it not?

Ken

Reaction score
The TD pass that Jourdan Lewis gave up near the goal line was a product of trash effort and technique.

On the play, Keenan Allen goes into motion toward the right sideline. Lewis is in man coverage and lazily follows him in motion trailing 2-3 yards behind him. Ball is snapped and Allen runs a simple flat pattern in the endzone for an easy score because Lewis is effectively beaten in coverage before the ball is snapped.

Zero excuse for this weak sauce.

Book is out on Lewis...make him run with the motion and he falls asleep.

Remember last year in the first Eagles game, did the same and the TV and football simps blamed Micah.

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
We have dumb and lazy players all over the place, safety was supposed to be a strenght of this D and in the SanFran game Kearse and Dono crapped the bed big time.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The route Allen ran was simple or did he just make it look simple? I don't blame JLew for getting beat. Allen ran a great route.

Carson

Reaction score
Book is out on Lewis...make him run with the motion and he falls asleep.

Remember last year in the first Eagles game, did the same and the TV and football simps blamed Micah.

Imagine making $5 million dollars a year to put in this effort

Reactions: Ken

Carson

Reaction score
The route Allen ran was simple or did he just make it look simple? I don't blame JLew for getting beat. Allen ran a great route.
We won’t honestly know, not knowing the real concept and design of the scheme.

But 99.9% it’s a simple man concept and he’s just lazy chasing.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I’m shocked he’s still on the team. Could have saved $5m cutting him. Izzy is a far better option at a fraction of the price

Carson

Reaction score
I’m shocked he’s still on the team. Could have saved $5m cutting him. Izzy is a far better option at a fraction of the price
On paper, he’s the best slot option outside of Bland.

With Bland moving outside it pushed him back into a starting role.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Not defending Lewis on his poor effort but I need someone to clarify the rule for me.

Is Allen aloud to run towards the goal line while in motion? Because he clearly does that on this play. He comes across the formation and as he runs towards the sideline he starts to gain ground towards the goal line. Making it almost impossible for any trailing DB to stop him from being open on that route. I thought it was illegal for a player to move "forward" while in lotion, is it not?
Yeah, he angled forward and I don't think that is legal.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Later in the game Bland knocked down a 4th and goal TD pass on a beautiful play . Problem is Joseph & Wright washed out high in the draft other then Bland as depth it’s back to the drawing board for CB’s come 2024 .

RonWashington

Reaction score
The 1st rounder from Dolphins got for Joseph was torched for a TD right after he came in earlier in yr luckily called back for a penalty . It’s a small sample of snaps I wonder if he could work his way into dependable depth sometime this yr .

FVSTONE

Reaction score
The TD pass that Jourdan Lewis gave up near the goal line was a product of trash effort and technique.

On the play, Keenan Allen goes into motion toward the right sideline. Lewis is in man coverage and lazily follows him in motion trailing 2-3 yards behind him. Ball is snapped and Allen runs a simple flat pattern in the endzone for an easy score because Lewis is effectively beaten in coverage before the ball is snapped.

Zero excuse for this weak sauce.

The Cowboys could have ran that play with 10 players on the field, because Lewis was flat out dogging it on that play.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
It looked like he wasn't expecting the ball to be snapped so fast and just kind of casually followed him, expecting him to get set.

When I first saw the play I thought it may be an illegal motion on the Chargers because you can't get a running start running towards the line. After review he did drift slightly forward, but the Chargers timed it well and poor effort by Lewis.

Robster8989

Reaction score
LOL this is funny but so true. Look at the best offenses in the NFL and you see the same thing. Tons of pre snap motion at a high level of intensity.
Exactly.
Moving players around pre snap can snuff out what the D is doing.
Maybe they're showing cover 2 but motions show them to be in man.
Stuff like that.
It's why the Niners players seemed to know exactly what we were doing. They did, lol.
We don't disguse anything.
You can also use motion try to create a mismatch, which is exactly what this motion with Allen accomplished on this play.
And Lewis's effort was pathetic. They were on the 1 yard line, dude may want to show some urgency.
Luckily we tightened it up and pulled the game out.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We won’t honestly know, not knowing the real concept and design of the scheme.

But 99.9% it’s a simple man concept and he’s just lazy chasing.
I don't see "lazy" in JLew. I see a good route being ran.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
He’s used to guarding Cowboys motion in practice and jogging seems like their only method so he was probably shocked to see someone running before the snap.
Probably true....but you gotta realize...this is on Quinn. He gets away with his reactionary defense a lot....because of the pass rush. That's Quinn not being in the right scheme right there...

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I think you have to understand the game a little better to criticize a play as lazy or weak sauce. There was a strong possibility Allen was gonna go back in motion again on the other side, which is what makes it a difficult play for the slot CB. What should have happened on the play is for all DBs to communicate and switch to a combination of man/zone, where Gilmore takes the outside (so Allen), and the other 2 CBs divide into a zone/man coverage on the two middle slots.
THIS. Lewis pauses as if his instincts are telling he will cut back inside or serve as a screen to open someone else up. So, no many good excuses, but I wouldn't say "no excuses..."