TD Jourdan Lewis gave up was garbage

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Well that's called scheming a guy open. The second they know it's man coverage, there are no other reads.
Was gonna say, isn't there a 25 page thread going somewhere about how motion helps an offense? LOL

Biggest thing I'd like to see is if same play was run pre-injury. Would like to see Jordan's speed vs today.

Carson

Reaction score
It's clear Lewis didn't know who is was responsible for. He is looking at Ekeler and didn't switch until Herbert committed to the pass.
I am not a coach so I cannot argue what he was supposed to do. But he has his back turn trailing Allen the entire time

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The TD pass that Jourdan Lewis gave up near the goal line was a product of trash effort and technique.

On the play, Keenan Allen goes into motion toward the right sideline. Lewis is in man coverage and lazily follows him in motion trailing 2-3 yards behind him. Ball is snapped and Allen runs a simple flat pattern in the endzone for an easy score because Lewis is effectively beaten in coverage before the ball is snapped.

Zero excuse for this weak sauce.

I completely agree. He showed very little effort getting out there. Disturbing to see this from a guy like Lewis.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I think you have to understand the game a little better to criticize a play as lazy or weak sauce. There was a strong possibility Allen was gonna go back in motion again on the other side, which is what makes it a difficult play for the slot CB. What should have happened on the play is for all DBs to communicate and switch to a combination of man/zone, where Gilmore takes the outside (so Allen), and the other 2 CBs divide into a zone/man coverage on the two middle slots.
Are you kidding me? It was crystal clear where the play was going. Lewis was half speed getting there and showed absolutely nothing that would suggest he thought Allen was going to go back. Further after the TD he hurdles Allen and jogs off the field. Total apathy. It was a garbage effort and clowns like you that make excuses under the guise that you are so knowledgeable is pathetic.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I didn’t say he played it perfectly. But if you watch the nfl, you will literally see this in every game
You are better than that. That was garbage effort against the opponents top receiver.

CWR

Reaction score
The TD pass that Jourdan Lewis gave up near the goal line was a product of trash effort and technique.

On the play, Keenan Allen goes into motion toward the right sideline. Lewis is in man coverage and lazily follows him in motion trailing 2-3 yards behind him. Ball is snapped and Allen runs a simple flat pattern in the endzone for an easy score because Lewis is effectively beaten in coverage before the ball is snapped.

You're not wrong. That was piss poor effort. What exactly was he expecting? That's terrible, and should get him benched. Unacceptable period.

CWR

Reaction score
Was gonna say, isn't there a 25 page thread going somewhere about how motion helps an offense? LOL

Biggest thing I'd like to see is if same play was run pre-injury. Would like to see Jordan's speed vs today.

But it wasn't due to a lack of speed. He was jogging, it was just crap effort.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Better effort and he’s taking that for 6. Herbert threw it without really even checking the coverage. I think it’s assumed he will be open early in the route. 1-2 steps better coverage and a quick break and he’s gone.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
But it wasn't due to a lack of speed. He was jogging, it was just crap effort.
I'm referring to the people who disagreed with OP and stated all the factors he was looking at. Still requires quick speed to respond if you're giving yourself room for 2-3 possible directions until you know it's happening.

But... half effort/full effort, not diagnosing play correctly, being too cautious on what could happen, being singled out as the corner coming back from injury, whatever the reason..... all the more proof on how motion helps an offense. Don't make it easy for them. Modern NFL play calling.

Reactions: CWR

Praxit

Reaction score
..relax guys, he picked up the read little to late.

Yeah it sucks, but its learning lessons. Better now, than post season.

Nav22

Reaction score
I also love how Lewis jumped over Allen to avoid any contact.

God forbid you collide with the WR and risk jarring the ball loose!!!
:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think you have to understand the game a little better to criticize a play as lazy or weak sauce. There was a strong possibility Allen was gonna go back in motion again on the other side, which is what makes it a difficult play for the slot CB. What should have happened on the play is for all DBs to communicate and switch to a combination of man/zone, where Gilmore takes the outside (so Allen), and the other 2 CBs divide into a zone/man coverage on the two middle slots.
What would have been the better thing to do IMO is simply for Gilmore and Lewis to understand there to switch responsibilities. If Gilmore is told that you have the outside receiver when the ball is snapped no matter who that player is and Lewis that he has whoever is in the slot, Gilmore could have gone with Allen as soon as he crossed to the outside and Lewis coming across could have picked up Gilmore's man. Simply a two-man switch instead of possibly confusing the rest of the defense.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
What the clip I posted doesn’t show is pre-snap confusion on Lewis’ part. He was late picking up Allen out of the huddle and what you see in the clip is him lolligagging across the formation.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Lool, wrong.

Imagine watching that play and thinking Lewis played it perfectly.

You mirror the receiver and try to be in a position to be squared up at the snap to match the route where he takes you. You don’t trail so far behind out of fear of giving up inside leverage that you concede the outside.

When you trail the receiver as Lewis did you automatically give up outside leverage and it results in backyard pitch and catch between the QB and receiver.
Right?

.. If the play is indefensible why is ir not run 100% of the time. This was a very lazy effort by #2

CTcowboy203

Reaction score

It really was pathetic…and so obvious and telegraphed. I hate when people say “I saw this play coming “ from there couch but this was so blatant I couldn’t believe how far behind the play developing he was.

That play made me livid.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Must be your first time watching an nfl game lol

Happens damn near every week

Not to mention it’s easy to sit on your *** talking smack. If Lewis sprints to follow him and Allen cuts inside - he also is beaten easily

You should probably sit this one out

Huge difference between being in position in case Allen cuts inside and being so deliberately behind the play and out of position. You couldn’t be more wrong

conner01

Reaction score

No way to get there in time. It’s a play you just can’t cover if they are in motion and that’s why teams use motion

conner01

Reaction score
He’s coming off injury. I wondered would there be some rust there. He came back soon as Diggs got hurt. Lewis is a DOG. He was never the biggest guy but effort and toughness I never questioned. So I’m wondering what the issue here is.
He plays the run better than anyone in the secondary

conner01

Reaction score

Motion create space. Not every team uses motion but the 49ers, Fins, chiefs use it a lot. Makes it really hard to double team a WR and gets you a free release off the line. We are near the bottom of the league in motion but lamb is really effective in motion and we used it much more last year