TE: Schoonmaker & Washington

gtb1943

Reaction score
They must have really been spooked about TE and reached when clearly they could have traded back 10 slots or so and still got him.

It amuses me all those screaming about Mayer and we got a poor mans mayer. Though that might not be really fair, I am not worried about his age. I think he can be a good solid TE.
But that is all.

As Catch 17 kept whining, a meh pick.

MC8828

Reaction score
Can you show me where he was projected 4th-5th round? Struggling to find that. I see a 2nd-3rd projection.

I’m not loving this pick, but sure seems like I see a ton of posts from people I hardly see around here spouting stuff that doesn’t seem close to factual
He was a 4th round projection on numerous sites. I havent seen a 2nd rounder anywhere. Show me that one…..

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was a 4th round projection on numerous sites. I havent seen a 2nd rounder anywhere. Show me that one…..
Rankings for Schoonmaker:
(3rd round is 65 thru 96)
These are 3 of the more accurate draft media historically and on average, after round 1, they're only accurate within about +/- 1 round.
The nfl.com rankings are far less accurate historically.

McShay 71
Kiper 78
Brugler 90

cnuball21

Reaction score
I don't know how Shoonmaker will turn out but it looks like this is typical - give Jerry 2nd round pick to gamble, so he stays out of rest if the draft picks
We should be banned from taking TEs in the 2nd haha.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
No, he was expected to go before #90.
Just looking at espn's rankings he was ranked #71 (-13 value) which in itself isn't a big deal in round 2

Grades will vary so much from team to team that he easily could have been a +13 value on our board

But then we look at what *actually* happened afterwards...

Jacksonville takes Brenton Strange (TE), espn's 68th ranked prospect with the 61st pick

Green Bay takes Tucker Craft (TE), espn's 61st ranked prospect with the 78th pick

All in all, if this is the guy you want, you take him at 58

And most of the people criticizing the pick would have applauded us if we took Darnell Washington at #58 and declared it a value because espn ranked him 39th...but hindsight tells us he lasted until after our third round pick

Macnalty

Reaction score
Terrible pick at #58 they get a C- grade could have been an A grade with OG O'Cyrus Torrence
I cannot give out a grade at this point in time, I do know we do not have the complete story only what they want us to know. Training camp will give us the answer. I do trust McClay so I feel confident till training camp shows us something different.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're right. We could have waited and signed him as a UDFA.
I don't love the pick, but it's incorrect to say that it's way out of line with where the player would have been pick otherwise.

The draft media generally do their evaluations the 1st year that a player is eligible for the draft.

If the player stays in college longer, they generally don't go back and review that player in detail unless it's a projected 1st round pick.
- If you look at something like Brugler's "The Beast" there is an incredible amount of information about a larger number of players.
- It's difficult and probably not worth it to go back and re-review all players.

This is not like the pre-McClay pick of Claiborne where the team didn't do their homework on the player.
- They studied the TEs extensively.
- The TE coach (Lunda Wells) went into great detail on local sports talk radio about the player after the pick was made.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Even if you want to say he was in the 70-80 prospect range…no excuse for taking him at 58. Not about Schoonmaker vs Washington, it’s about Schoonmaker vs the 15 or so prospects on the board better than him
We aren't picking BPA, we're picking on traits to finalise a championship team. In the first two rounds we've drafted the two players we see as best improving the run game (both sides of the ball).
The FO are looking at roster weaknesses (possibly in light of what was the real reason for the 9ers loss).

cnuball21

Reaction score
We aren't picking BPA, we're picking on traits to finalise a championship team. In the first two rounds we've drafted the two players we see as best improving the run game (both sides of the ball).
The FO are looking at roster weaknesses (possibly in light of what was the real reason for the 9ers loss).
Yea they’ve made it blatantly clear they’re drafting for need this year.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I'm not convinced that Torrence is significantly better than Chandler Zavala and Anthony Bradford...
Yep Torrence is the evidence that proves we aren't drafting any player just to fill a need.
Don't understand how they can pass Torrence at 58.
Because they didn't like him? Prefer Risner? Prefer in-house options? Think there's a better option available later?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yea they’ve made it blatantly clear they’re drafting for need this year.
Which is fair if the team's on the verge of taking the next step....especially when last years season ended in a manner that highlighted specific glaring problems.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Which is fair if the team's on the verge of taking the next step....especially when last years season ended in a manner that highlighted specific glaring problems.
The worst part to me is even if they only want to draft needs still feel like they’re reaching and better options are available…not overall, like better options at need only positions.

tm1119

Reaction score
I agree…and that’s just not a good strategy going into the draft imo. But that’s what happens when you have a front office that refuses to use free agency to fill holes and you’re forced to use the draft for need.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The worst part to me is even if they only want to draft needs still feel like they’re reaching and better options are available…not overall, like better options at need only positions.
Agree, but the alternative view is that he was exactly the type of player we needed and so to ensure we signed him we had to go early.
Last year we were 'left with Ferguson' as we missed the run on TE's, I suppose the FO saw the blocking/catching TE was essential to help facilitate (word of the day) of how we want to play.

Brooksey

Reaction score
There was a better than good chance Schoon wasn't going to be available in the 3rd round when we picked.

If you want the guy bad enough, you take him when you can, yes we took him a little early but this is MM's guy for his offense. Everyone including McClay and Jones know there were higher ranked players
for OTHER positions, they said it at the PC.

They wanted a dual threat TE who can play right away and got him