CFZ Team weaknesses as of mid April

kskboys

Reaction score
No. I’m a BPA proponent. Almost purely BPA.

I was just talking about holes that we need to fill. But reaching for need is a bad idea.
Pure BPA is even worse.

Man, there's simply so much that goes into drafting. It's not anywhere near that simple.

Reaching for need is bad. Just taking the guy you think is the higher rated is bad. Must do research and study.

kskboys

Reaction score
Because a lot of this fan base only wants negatives and to complain.

We could trade for a guy like Ja’Marr Chase and there would be 50 threads about his contract and is he worth it
Man, I've seen some of the strangest ideas/thoughts here. And what's really sad is when people just start reiterating crapp they heard somewhere.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Davis looked good in the limited opportunities he had last year. Don't see any reason not to consider him a valid part of the rotation.
Either believe that RB's are dime a dozen or that you want an elite back. Got to choose one.
Seems like Cowboys have warmed to idea of keeping OL strong and RB committee approach.

Verdict

Reaction score
Pure BPA is even worse.

Man, there's simply so much that goes into drafting. It's not anywhere near that simple.

Reaching for need is bad. Just taking the guy you think is the higher rated is bad. Must do research and study.
That’s why you evaluate players and build your board in the first place. If you go BPA you will end up with talented players on your team more consistently than if you do not.

Do you pass on Zach Martin to draft the next Taco just because you are “good at G” and have a need on the DL? Well, you can but it’s not a good idea.

If the next Rodgers or Brady is sitting there in the first when we are on the clock do you not take them because we have financially committed to Dak?

I realize BPA can put a team in a quandary if a WR is the top player on your board (like Detroit had it graded years ago) but do you pass on Calvin Johnson just because you have taken a receiver in the first round of the last two drafts (just giving a hypothetical).

You take the elite player and you fill in roster holes with trades, and free agency signings. That’s what BPA allows you to do.

Think about it this way:

Let’s say that BPA has us taking zero players at positions of need but stacks the strong positions even more. Do you want a team of Tacos or a team of Martins that you can’t quite make room for? Always go the BPA route or trade out of the pick.

If you are going to build almost exclusively through the draft you can’t afford to reach and miss on picks. Get a good player with every pick that you can. If you can’t do that, trade up or down.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
So we didnt play the bucs in the playoffs?
No. We played them in a meaningless game designed to drive revenue by being marketed as a playoff game.

When you play an 8-9 team, it's not a playoff game cause that team shouldn't be in the playoffs.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
OL and DL early and often please. Can find a startsble RB in the mid rounds. Trenches trenches trenches..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No. We played them in a meaningless game designed to drive revenue by being marketed as a playoff game.

When you play an 8-9 team, it's not a playoff game cause that team shouldn't be in the playoffs.
Bwaaaaaa!!!!!

Thats what i thought

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Bwaaaaaa!!!!!

Thats what i thought
Are you saying it wouldn't have been a huge upset for Tampa to win?

Are you saying beating an injury riddled team is something to brag about?

Are you saying losing teams should be part of the playoffs?

kskboys

Reaction score
That’s why you evaluate players and build your board in the first place. If you go BPA you will end up with talented players on your team more consistently than if you do not.

Do you pass on Zach Martin to draft the next Taco just because you are “good at G” and have a need on the DL? Well, you can but it’s not a good idea.

If the next Rodgers or Brady is sitting there in the first when we are on the clock do you not take them because we have financially committed to Dak?

I realize BPA can put a team in a quandary if a WR is the top player on your board (like Detroit had it graded years ago) but do you pass on Calvin Johnson just because you have taken a receiver in the first round of the last two drafts (just giving a hypothetical).

You take the elite player and you fill in roster holes with trades, and free agency signings. That’s what BPA allows you to do.

Think about it this way:

Let’s say that BPA has us taking zero players at positions of need but stacks the strong positions even more. Do you want a team of Tacos or a team of Martins that you can’t quite make room for? Always go the BPA route or trade out of the pick.

If you are going to build almost exclusively through the draft you can’t afford to reach and miss on picks. Get a good player with every pick that you can. If you can’t do that, trade up or down.
Taco was BPA. As was Jaylon.

I'm not saying don't use BPA, I'm simply saying there is a lot more to it than that. Ignoring BPA is dumb, but ignoring needs is also dumb.

And then there's trying to figure out BPA. Very seldom is there a clear BPA.

Good stuff, BTW. Always enjoy good back n forths!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DanA

Reaction score

I'm not saying don't use BPA, I'm simply saying there is a lot more to it than that. Ignoring BPA is dumb, but ignoring needs is also dumb.

Taco was a symptom of a dogmatic coaching room. In no way, shape, or form did Taco look a better player than TJ Watt in College but TJ Watt would have required thinking creatively and that wasn't on the cards.

roarr

Reaction score
It’s a long time until opening day, and we still have the draft and post draft free agency to go prior to the start of the season. But as of right now, today here are my concerns:

DT (marginal starters and almost no depth)

QB (is it going to be good Dak, or Bad Dak who shows up and I don’t think Cooper Rush is very good in spite of his win total last year)

RB. I would be saying the same thing even if we had kept The Ewok as I think he is done. As of today, Pollard still can’t play. Davis and Dowdle don’t move the needle at all. We need two good playable RBs.

OL. Tyron is done. We have a hole at G and Steele hasn’t come back yet.

So, as I see it we somehow need to come out of the draft or post draft free agency with:

2 DT
2 RB
QB
OT
OG

We seriously need to add a starting quality player at 1 DT, 1 RB, 1 OT, 1 OG

We need potential starters at:

1 DT, 1RB, QB,

I love what the team has done and if the team goes BPA all the way through the draft it will not hurt my feelings at all. But some how, some where, some way, these legitimate holes need to be filled if we want that elusive SB win. I don’t think we get there otherwise.
Our biggest need is LBer... you're way off. We don't need RB, or OT, or QB... DT in later rounds. WR and CB are bigger needs.

Verdict

Reaction score

I don’t mind when people have divergent points of view. That’s what makes this place interesting. It seems like as a general rule you and I agree more often than we disagree.

Verdict

Reaction score
Taco was a symptom of a dogmatic coaching room. In no way, shape, or form did Taco look a better player than TJ Watt in College but TJ Watt would have required thinking creatively and that wasn't on the cards.
We REALLY blew that one as a team, didn’t we?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

As you say when creating the Board it's all about evaluating the PLAYER and then (as I take it from @xwalker) we evaluate how these players factor into scheme's and other preferences.
But getting a good player isnt necessarily the BPA, especially when the rankings are close. BPA, isnt the holy grail, especially when the player evaluation deems one player over another when factoring in developmental projections, positional value or even need. eg Cine was our BPA and we took Tyler.

I dont know about the revisionist way of looking at past drafts, for instance Zierlein was extremely high on Taco (over Watt), but granted the first word he uses is "Inconsistent". A lot depends on the rationale of the pick.