Teams are trying to convince themselves qb is good enough

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Meh...... Mahomes is clearly better than Dak, but he didn't have worthless Garrett for a leader either. I'm curious to see if McCarthy is able to mold him into something before cutting ties altogether.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Mahomes is on another level at the moment, thought the same about Jackson until the playoffs. Everyone is searching for that elite QB, but season over season there's probably only 2-4 of those guys that emerge. Guys that can carry their team no matter the talent around them. Good enough QBs, there's probably another 10 guys after the top ones that are good players that can get it done with a good supporting cast. I would say Dak is in that camp.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Meh...... Mahomes is clearly better than Dak, but he didn't have worthless Garrett for a leader either. I'm curious to see if McCarthy is able to mold him into something before cutting ties altogether.
I think he will do things to help. I wonder how much MM will lean on our run game. Let Dak make some plays and drive the bus. It just works and there is no big deal. Get us a better Defense and a real ST.

tm1119

Reaction score
It’s more than 1/2 the league, its more like 3/4 of the league that don’t have a QB that is a truly “elite SB QB”. But as others have already said...what’s the alternative? Tank unlike you find the perfect QB in the draft? How many of those are even available over a decade?

Every team that doesn’t have the top 5/6 QB’s can’t be hopeless. Teams need to find the right coaching staff with the right supporting cast of players around the QB to win.

Kwyn

Reaction score
This is great. Collin hit it on the head. He says that half the teams in the league are trying to convince themselves that their QB is good enough. The bears...... yep. Remember the chiefs with Smith? The would say he is good enough... and as Colin said... no he isnt.

And here we are trying to convince ourselves Dak is good enough. Did you watch Mahomes? Sad part is what else do you do?

Here is a list of teams who are “trying to convince themselves their QB is good enough to win a SuperBowl”

All of them except for
  • Patriots - Brady
  • Steelers - Roethlisberger
  • Seattle - Wilson
  • Jacksonville - Foles
  • New Orleans - Brees
  • Green Bay - Rodgers

Denver would be on this list but they’ve moved on from Flacco

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak is good enough, his numbers in 2019 were better than any of the other QBs that teams are trying to convince themselves are good enough.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
If Dak has a season like this next year what do you think they should with him? I don't just mean pure numbers either I mean real good against the sorry teams and mainly eh against playoff level teams.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Colin says this with a straight face. Meanwhile one of the teams in the Super Bowl has a pretty highly paid QB who threw 8 passes in the NFC title game and isn’t elite in any way shape or form?

ok then

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Going back to 2000 here is the QBs who have won a title:
Kurt Warner HOF
Trent Dilfer Possibly greatest defense ever
Tom Brady GOAT?
Brad Johnson one of top 10 defenses in nfl history?
Brady
Brady
Big Ben 1st Ballot HOF
Peyton Manning 1st ballot HOF
Eli Manning... cant explain this
Big Ben
Drew Brees 1st ballot HOF
Aaron Rodgers 1st ballot HOF
Ei Manning.... anamoly I can not explain
Joe Flacco great defense
Russel Wilson
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning GREAT defense
Tom Brady Nick Foles
Tom Brady

So out of the previous 19 SB winning teams there are 4 QBs on that list that will not be or are not already in the HOF. Of those 4 teams, only 1 team did not have a HOF qb or a GREAT defense, and that was the Iggles 2 years ago.

Eli Manning is avg as avg can be.... he will be in the HOF, but I dont think he is HOF worthy. BUt those numbers are what they are. If you dont have a HOF type QB behind center, you better have a GREAT DEFENSE. Look at the 2 teams in this years SB, one is surely on a HOF trajectory, and the other has a great defense.

so where does that put us? On the outside looking in.

Last edited:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
There is no choice. Not enough elite to go around. You get a good one and hope you can build around his strengths. Dak hasn’t hit his ceiling yet but likely close to it. Other teams have qb that aren’t getting better other than what comes with experience. I think that is the difference in what we have with Dak. He was talking about cousins and some other qbs, notice he didn’t mention Daks name.

We have a winning formula here. Let Dak be some what of a bus driver. Hand the ball off and let Dak make some plays and throw the ball around and he is good at the deep pass. You can’t ask him to put the team on his back every week and throw 40 times a game and you have a elite RB and O-Line so you don’t have to. It’s common sense of a HC and staff to realize that. Give us a better Defense and a actual ST and we are in the playoffs this year.

Look at what the niners did this year. You think garopolo is elite.. Lol.
Jimmy G is not elite, but the defense is.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
It’s more than 1/2 the league, its more like 3/4 of the league that don’t have a QB that is a truly “elite SB QB”. But as others have already said...what’s the alternative? Tank unlike you find the perfect QB in the draft? How many of those are even available over a decade?

Every team that doesn’t have the top 5/6 QB’s can’t be hopeless. Teams need to find the right coaching staff with the right supporting cast of players around the QB to win.
I agree with what you are saying. The message I kind of take away though is that teams need to stop getting married to mediocre QBs. Like any other position if you come across an upgrade go get that player. If someone falls to you in the draft take him. Quit thinking you're set at qb, giving out long term high dollar deals, and keep your options open. After all Brady, mahomes, Rodgers, jackson, wilson none of these guys were #1 picks, I'm not even sure any were top 10 picks.

I'm in the camp that would try to draft a qb every year. Maybe not in the first round, but target a guy I like, get him and see if he cant be developed.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Mahomes is good but one of the greatest? As Bill Parcells would say let’s put the HOF anointed oil away for now. I’ll admit he has the skills set to be one of the greatest but that doesn’t make you great until he has proven it. He needs to win SBs to be discuss as one of the greatest. Although he is fun to watch.
considering he is in his 2nd season as a starter... how many SBs should he have? lol..... make no mistake, he is great, we all know it. You can say well he hasnt proven it yet blah blah blha... but that is because he is young.

I remember watching Michael Jordan.... we all knew he was GREAT within his 1st two seasons.... but it took him 6 before he won anything. Didnt change the fact he was GREAT!

Kwyn

Reaction score
Going back to 2000 here is the QBs who have won a title:
Kurt Warner HOF
Trent Dilfer Possibly greatest defense ever
Tom Brady GOAT?
Brad Johnson one of top 10 defenses in nfl history?
Brady
Brady
Big Ben 1st Ballot HOF
Peyton Manning 1st ballot HOF
Eli Manning... cant explain this
Big Ben
Drew Brees 1st ballot HOF
Aaron Rodgers 1st ballot HOF
Ei Manning.... anamoly I can not explain
Joe Flacco great defense
Russel Wilson
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning GREAT defense
Tom Brady Nick Foles
Tom Brady

So out of the previous 19 SB winning teams there are 4 QBs on that list that will not be or are not already in the HOF. Of those 4 teams, only 1 team did not have a HOF qb or a GREAT defense, and that was the Iggles 2 years ago.

Eli Manning is avg as avg can be.... he will be in the HOF, but I dont think he is HOF worthy. BUt those numbers are what they are. If you dont have a HOF type QB behind center, you better have a GREAT QB. Look at the 2 teams in this years SB, one is surely on a HOF trajectory, and the other has a great defense.

so where does that put us? On the outside looking in.

is it easier to build a great defense or find a HOF QB?

Honestly interested in your opinion

Kingofholland

Reaction score
In the history of football, there has NEVER been a QB good enough to win it all without really good talent around them.

Everyone needs some talent, but elite QBs can turn nobody receivers into stars and always have their team playing competitive football.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Ok?? Tell me one QB that is as good as Mahomes. The only QB who has beaten him so far in the playoffs is Tom Brady. Who cares about Mahomes. He is in the AFC. If we ever have to face him in the playoffs, well then we would be in good shape.
Tell me how many QBs in the NFC are way ahead of Dak? I hope you don't mention Jimmy G, who makes Trent Dilfer look like Joe Montana. There is no QB better than him in our division.

Wilson? Rodgers? I could give you those, although they don't put tons of fear in you any longer.

We have a good enough QB to win if we would actually supply him a good scheme and coaching. And a solid defense. Our defense is bottom of the league terrible.
you just did exactly what the point was.... qualifiers.

He is good enough IF IF IF.... if we give him a great defense. If we give him a great coach. If we give him a great run game. If if if..... well yeah, give him the 2000 ravens defense and he is probably good enough.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
ok 2 questions
1. How many Mahomes are in the league?
2. When was he drafted? I believe it was in the top 10.

to say the only way you can win a superbowl is with him then the other 31 teams need to fold their tents now. How is a team who finishes 8-8 or better ever going to get a great QB?

Oh and by the way he wasn’t the first QB taken in the draft so even if you had a high draft pick it’s not assured.
no doubt... drafting QBs is like playing the lotto. Ryan Leif anyone????

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The biggest problem is having to overpay for a player because of need. The QB position is the most glaring area for that squeeze.