Teams are trying to convince themselves qb is good enough

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Ok?? Tell me one QB that is as good as Mahomes. The only QB who has beaten him so far in the playoffs is Tom Brady. Who cares about Mahomes. He is in the AFC. If we ever have to face him in the playoffs, well then we would be in good shape.
Tell me how many QBs in the NFC are way ahead of Dak? I hope you don't mention Jimmy G, who makes Trent Dilfer look like Joe Montana. There is no QB better than him in our division.

Wilson? Rodgers? I could give you those, although they don't put tons of fear in you any longer.

We have a good enough QB to win if we would actually supply him a good scheme and coaching. And a solid defense. Our defense is bottom of the league terrible.

You conveniently left out our offense. Which there was nothing wrong with our offense but if it weren't for our offense, Dak wouldn't have had the numbers he did. You would be lying to yourself if you didn't agree with that statement.

Elite QB's can work around...

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Dak is good enough, his numbers in 2019 were better than any of the other QBs that teams are trying to convince themselves are good enough.
if you are good enough... try to finish above 8-8.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
This is hilarious. People are saying or acting like if your team doesn't have Mahomes than they don't have a real QB or a good one. Someone else pointed out that Mahomes didn't win the Super Bowl last year and this year the 49ers with Garappolo who only threw EIGHT pass in the entire NFC championship game could beat Mahomes and the chiefs. A QB in a NFC championship game only threw 8 passes completing 6 or 75% of his passes and scored 37 points.

Maybe it's time to stop thinking that the QB is the thing that determines whether a team wins or loses and start to realize it's the entire team.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Here is a list of teams who are “trying to convince themselves their QB is good enough to win a SuperBowl”

All of them except for
  • Patriots - Brady
  • Steelers - Roethlisberger
  • Seattle - Wilson
  • Jacksonville - Foles
  • New Orleans - Brees
  • Green Bay - Rodgers

Denver would be on this list but they’ve moved on from Flacco

Jacksonville-Foles? He’s been an awful they may move on from him.

John813

Reaction score
Our problem is we are looking at paying Dak TOP dollar and I just don't think he is a TOP quarterback.

He's good, but not "Most Expensive in the Entire League" good.

OT
I have to wonder how much different the new CBA will be.

Honestly, I wish they would drop the rolling cap and bring in bird rights for re-signing players. Can keep it straight forward and say you can go over the cap X amount for your own draft picks. Or Day 1/day 2 picks. So, going to overpay your "home grown" talent won't hurt as much and would put a better emphasis on keeping your players. Not like free agency is loaded every year with top talent.

I agree he isn't worth being the highest paid, but I have to imagine by next year he won't be near the top. But back to the CBA, I assume Jones has a decent guess on what to expect there, so hoping that he can get a deal done so this doesn't drag into the time needed to lock up other guys they want to keep.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
is it easier to build a great defense or find a HOF QB?

Honestly interested in your opinion
thats a great question. I dont have an answer... how about they are about equally as hard? If it were easy to build that great defense, every team in the league that doesnt have that elite qb would say.. hey, lets just build a great defense.... yet we dont see great defenses very often.

The thing about the great QB is that at least when you hit with one, you have him for 12 years or so. The great defense is dont with 3-4 years. Look at Seattle.
When you look at the list that I just provided.... the teams on that list with the great defense only made the SB that one time. The team with the great qb is usually on my list multiple times. That list is the same QBs over and over for the most part. I didnt even put the SB LOSER on that list. I suspect it is full of those same QBs...

Swanny

Reaction score
This is great. Collin hit it on the head. He says that half the teams in the league are trying to convince themselves that their QB is good enough. The bears...... yep. Remember the chiefs with Smith? The would say he is good enough... and as Colin said... no he isnt.

And here we are trying to convince ourselves Dak is good enough. Did you watch Mahomes? Sad part is what else do you do?
There's no other options. There's not enough good QBs for the NFL.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Jacksonville-Foles? He’s been an awful they may move on from him.
His point was that if they have won a SB they were in fact GOOD ENOUGH, thus is why Foles was on the list.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
if you are good enough... try to finish above 8-8.

You’re putting that 8-8 all on Dak? Try looking at the defense and the inconsistent running game we had this past season. When your QB is having a pass for 400 yards each week to win games there’s something wrong.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
His point was that if they have won a SB they were in fact GOOD ENOUGH, thus is why Foles was on the list.

Foles didn’t win a Super Bowl with the Jags. He was dreadful in 2019. He was 0-4.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
You’re putting that 8-8 all on Dak? Try looking at the defense and the inconsistent running game we had this past season. When your QB is having a pass for 400 yards each week to win games there’s something wrong.
I love it..... I just remember Romo getting blames when we lost to Denver after putting up 51 points. Now its.... 8-8 isnt all on Dak.

Look at every game we lost and tell me which games Dak played well in the ENTIRE game. Getting down by 30 and then putting up 270 yards and 3 tds in the 2nd half doesnt impress me much.

Just 3 games.... did Dak play well against the Saints? Pats? and 2nd Iggles game?

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is great. Collin hit it on the head. He says that half the teams in the league are trying to convince themselves that their QB is good enough. The bears...... yep. Remember the chiefs with Smith? The would say he is good enough... and as Colin said... no he isnt.

And here we are trying to convince ourselves Dak is good enough. Did you watch Mahomes? Sad part is what else do you do?
I'm not a big Dak fan but I think he's good enough. I've been saying in other threads that a top running game and defense with a decent QB is more likely to lead to success than having an elite QB that has to throw it 50 times a game to win a shootout every week. Dak's a good, not great, QB. That's good enough to get the job done if the pieces are in place around him.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I'm not a big Dak fan but I think he's good enough. I've been saying in other threads that a top running game and defense with a decent QB is more likely to lead to success than having an elite QB that has to throw it 50 times a game to win a shootout every week. Dak's a good, not great, QB. That's good enough to get the job done if the pieces are in place around him.
did you look at my list? My list proves without a doubt, that you are far more likely to win because of a HOF qb than you are with a running game and great defense...... to about the tune of 70% or so more likely.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Never has there been a dynasty built around a good enough qb. All nfl dynasties have a hall of fame qb

Dynasties like cowboys, 49ers,Patriots ect

SackMaster

Reaction score
Everyone needs some talent, but elite QBs can turn nobody receivers into stars and always have their team playing competitive football.
Outside of Brady, who has "turned nobody receivers into stars" with any consistency?

All I read about, especially outside of Dallas, is how Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson and Ben Rothelistberger all needs offensive help to win in 2020. These are all Super Bowl winning, probably future HOF QBs that apparently can't just "turn nobody receivers into stars".

But for some reason, in Dallas, if the Defense is terrible, blame the QB. If the ST suck, blame the QB. If the WRs keep dropping balls, blame the QB. If the RB taps out after every 3rd or 4th running play, blame the QB. If the coach is completely unable to manage a game or prepare the team for big games, blame the QB.

I wish it was JUST a Dak thing. But this happened with Romo too and after 15+ years of hearing how it's always the QB's fault, it stops having any weight.

Is Dak, and was Romo, perfect? Absolutely not. They've made their fair share of mistakes that have cost the Cowboys games.

But for whatever reason, it was ALWAYS their fault even when it was not, and especially when it was obviously not their fault.

efh313

Reaction score
There is no choice. Not enough elite to go around. You get a good one and hope you can build around his strengths. Dak hasn’t hit his ceiling yet but likely close to it. Other teams have qb that aren’t getting better other than what comes with experience. I think that is the difference in what we have with Dak. He was talking about cousins and some other qbs, notice he didn’t mention Daks name.

We have a winning formula here. Let Dak be some what of a bus driver. Hand the ball off and let Dak make some plays and throw the ball around and he is good at the deep pass. You can’t ask him to put the team on his back every week and throw 40 times a game and you have a elite RB and O-Line so you don’t have to. It’s common sense of a HC and staff to realize that. Give us a better Defense and a actual ST and we are in the playoffs this year.

Look at what the niners did this year. You think garopolo is elite.. Lol.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Dak may never be an elite gunslinger. In fact, I’m pretty comfortable saying that’s not in the cards. But Dak IS a QB who likes to utilize the play action, meaning he’s not afraid to turn his back to the defense when he has to and he likes to tuck the ball and run.

We already know that statistically we are better in games when Dak runs. All of these things will help us next year to build a multifaceted run offense around Zeke where Dak will be asked to be more of a bus driver. Creative runs, more outside runs, spreading the defensive box, forcing them to think laterally even in run situations, and then freeing Dak up for a more controlled passing role because he doesn’t feel like he has to “do it all”.

Pure speculation, but a pretty decent plan imho.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mahomes is the exception, not the rule and we don't know where he will end up when he's been at it as long as the others considered in the elite category. When Marino was at his peak, anyone think he would go to one SB?

Good coaching recognizes the strengths and weaknesses of their QB and yes, most decide he's good enough...….providing everything else falls into place. That's really their job, make everything else fall into place.

The fact right now is there is only one Mahomes and he's the best in the NFL. What are teams to do, not go with their good enough QB?

Most of these teams either luck their way into a QB or play poorly enough like CIN to get the best one in this draft, at least that seems to be the case right now.

Once again, this is all about settling for Prescott as good enough and not going for a blue chipper. Well, I'd say the Cowboys have lucked their way into the last two.

Everyone using this "good enough" thing with Prescott. Do you stop to think that not keeping him and going for another might get not be good enough?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
your missing the point that I explained very clearly as far as what his point was.

I’m not missing the point, he made a bad point. The Jags are already convinced Foles isn’t the answer. He ended up getting benched for a rookie 6th round pick.