Twitter: Teams make a mockery of the salary cap

Dre11

Reaction score
Well it helps when the qb is going to retire and does a solid favor.

There was an article a few weeks ago with this exact scenario being played out.

All in favor competent gm though.

It does help, but you also know he's getting something out of it, he's not just doing them a solid.

Dre11

Reaction score
You realize this is doing exactly what people have said Dallas can do with multiple contracts in order to add about 60m in cap space? Cap space is rarely an issue these days, even when the cap gets reduced 20m.

Exactly, it's why I say they can go get anybody they want in Free agency, even when they sign Dak. Yet we have people crying about signing Dak

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
There are all these posts about NO not being able to keep anyone or get under the cap. Their GM was interviewed and he not only said he wasn't worried, but that they are looking into adding free agents. The cap can be manipulated people. This isn't anything new. How else do you think teams can keep paying multiple guys huge deals? We are paying Cooper, Zeke, Martin, Tyron, Tank and Jaylon AND of course at the very least carrying Dak's franchise tag.This group alone would be taking up half this year's cap...yet we will be able to make deals. The decision to make huge outside deals is less about the cap and more about the team wanting to make a run.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
You realize this is doing exactly what people have said Dallas can do with multiple contracts in order to add about 60m in cap space? Cap space is rarely an issue these days, even when the cap gets reduced 20m.
Agreed. Teams find a way to get around it. We can restructure. Resign dak and put low cap hit. Frees up 35 million for example unlike last year

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I laugh every time I see some sports person say the NFL is the only sport with a hard cap. They're not cap managers, they're cap manipulators.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I would assume that Brees isnt the first, but could be wrong, never thought about it before but quite brilliant and soon to be trending if so.

Basically Brees has zero worries financially, and he still receives his remaining contract, just a nice gesture upon departure, helps alleviate the Saints cap strain.

What a noble gesture from a future HOF that considers millions as we consider thousands... lol yet I applaud both parties in this agreement.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I laugh every time I see some sports person say the NFL is the only sport with a hard cap. They're not cap managers, they're cap manipulators.
The smart teams just keep rolling it forward, the cap is never finite if the term is exploitable... forever

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yet we have folks here crying about the cap and who we can afford. Maybe we need to get smarter people to handle the cap.

first off since when were we in this position ie the DC FO?

secondly dak stands to make twice that and Brees is twice the player , irony, also dak wont help the DC fo even with team friendly deal..wow the ironys thick on HOF QBs helping their teams with contracts when our 1 playoff win qb is holding us hostage..

lastly and most importantly the DC FO know how to dal with the cap and you do NOT..saying they need a new cap person is phreaking Joke. Seriously man the media and yourself get all your info through well the internet, most all using statements amnd turning them into narratives..the DC never claim to be in any postion where the cap will hurt building this team in the future , they get creative all the time..

so stop acting as if you somehow know the inner workings of the cap and the DC FO because you read twitter and the internet..

good for drew and the saints now chill the freak out..you are an armchair internet GM that actually knows squat..go get job with the DC and let us know whats really going on..

dont take the Jonses trying too be smart with contracts as them being cheap or clueless..we look around the league at these so called smarter Gms with the qb drafts and , big deals , then get fleeced with trades..

get over it..
phreaking fans are clueless..can we get new ones? pretty sure the Jonses running more then one billion dollar business have far more smarter employees to handle these issues and dont need your opinions..fact less BTW..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well it helps when the qb is going to retire and does a solid favor.

There was an article a few weeks ago with this exact scenario being played out.

All in favor competent gm though.
let dak know what favor means..can he spell it? Team friendly? oi know Brady and Bree's can...lol:muttley::rolleyes:

Knotamus

Reaction score
Here’s what people need to remember ab the cap.

In a current year.. Yes, there’s always different ways to manipulate and/or restructure a players contract in order to free up additional cash for FA’s and what not..

But.. when teams make a habit of this process and restructure MULTIPLE players for MULTIPLE years.. the dead money and back loaded payments do catch up with them. They are then tying there hands in the future. They end up releasing players and taking the hit for a year or two. The Cowboys did this not too long ago in late 2000’s. Back when we were in “Financial Hell”. The financial hell part of it all is.. you end up paying big money to aging players and/or players not even on the team any more.

Hence the reason, why so many teams in recent years..loaded up there teams with big contracts to make a SB run (I.e. The Saints). I’m sure the Saints were trying one last run with Brees bc the knew they could take the hits the following years when Brees is gone and they are rebuilding talent with a rookie QB.

I don’t have a problem with one or two players restructured like this, but it tends to start a trend.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Exactly, it's why I say they can go get anybody they want in Free agency, even when they sign Dak. Yet we have people crying about signing Dak

I agree Dre.

the salary cap essentially allows teams to borrow money from future years..... interest free.

People are obsessing over the QB contract too Much. When it isn’t the issue plaguing the team.

the issue that’s plaguing the team is they have been whiffing on defensive players in the draft for years now.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the jones are pocketing a lot of that money from the cap i know they say they arent but they are until people realize that the jones care less about winning and making money this is what the dallas cowboys are going to be the glory days of the cowboys are over until jerry and son no longer run this team the daughter would be the one who should take over at least she would hire real nfl people to run the team

Bigdog

Reaction score
Knowing the league they would take money away from the Cowboys if they did this. Remember what the WFT and Cowboys did I the uncapped year 2010. Is still don’t understand how you can be penalized for being smarter than the other 30 teams.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

People cry about Dak and the salary because they can no longer point to has play on the field.

ITS ALL THEY GOT. These are the same clowns that never said a peep about Dak's contract while he was getting paid 1 million per year his first 4 years. The same clowns that said records dont count and stats do, now say the opposite because they cant handle the shame of Dak making them look like no talent football clowns.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I would assume that Brees isnt the first, but could be wrong, never thought about it before but quite brilliant and soon to be trending if so.

Basically Brees has zero worries financially, and he still receives his remaining contract, just a nice gesture upon departure, helps alleviate the Saints cap strain.

What a noble gesture from a future HOF that considers millions as we consider thousands... lol yet I applaud both parties in this agreement.
win/win