Twitter: Teams make a mockery of the salary cap

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yet we have folks here crying about the cap and who we can afford. Maybe we need to get smarter people to handle the cap.

One day fans and commentators are going to come to understand that teams can pretty much do what they want with the cap. It's not making a mockery, but simply using the flexibility that's built into it.

Every year, we get those who don't understand how a team can eat the dead money in a contract or afford to add more expensive FAs. Even this year, we've got those who can't see that no matter what the cap is set at, there are ways of structuring contracts and restructuring contracts to make them fit within that number.

When teams choose not to sign a player or free agent, it's more because they don't want to instead of they can't. They might not think he's worth what he's asking, but don't think that they can't clear space if they really wanted him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It’s so true.

the first couple of years. When the cowboys were winning games. All they said was “Dak can’t throw for more than 200 yards consistently”

now that Dak is one of the league leaders in yardage it’s “he isn’t winning enough games”

It’s all bull crap.

taking no time to actually think about 1. Why the team is actually losing games and 2. The fact that Dak wasn’t throwing for a lot of yardage in earlier years was because the game plan and way the games unfolded didn’t call for it.

This is why they are called trolls. They understand why we are losing games, but they are so pathetic and shamed, that all they can do is push their dumb agenda and find reasons to do so. Dak is making them look like fools, so why not play the fool?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Brees didn't have to do this. He had to agree to it. Clearly something our current QB is unwilling to do.

Career earnings:

Brees = $270 million
Dak = $36 million

Brees wasn't quite so accommodating when he was 27 years old. Now? He's 40 years old and exceedingly wealthy.

OldJarhead

Reaction score
I would still like someone to convince me that #4 is worth a multi year multi-million dollar contract (Brees/Mahomes/Rodgers). Without just giving me b/s stats from PFF or the new and improved stats a minute or whatever they are calling that Amazon crap. All I care about is what I see, and I have never cared for what I see from him from in the red zone when he throws the ball.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Career earnings:

Brees = $270 million
Dak = $36 million

Brees wasn't quite so accommodating when he was 27 years old. Now? He's 40 years old and exceedingly wealthy.

Still can't use this to say cap doesn't matter cause 1 guy decided to agree to a restructure. Can't guarantee the next guy will do that.

KB1122

Reaction score
The salary cap makes a mockery out of the salary cap. I would prefer ending it.

Creeper

Reaction score
Yet we have folks here crying about the cap and who we can afford. Maybe we need to get smarter people to handle the cap.

So Brees is going to retire. He can retire today and the Saints would save his entire salary right now but then they would have to take all his pro-rated bonus money as a hit in 2021. The Saints could also designate him a June 1 cut, allowing them to split the CAP hit into two years. But it looks like Brees doesn't want to be a cut, he wants to retire. So they came up with this deal where he takes a pay cut so the Saints can get under the CAP until June 1 when he will retire.

This is all legal under the CBA. We may not like it but I always thought that the league should allow CAP exemptions for players like Brees, or Emmitt or Aikman etc. guys who played a lot of years should get to retire with the team they spent all those year with instead of getting cut or having to find a new team for finish their careers.

At the same time, the Saints put themselves into a nasty CAP situation, and they had to know it was coming. They are $50 million over the CAP because they loaded their roster and pushed the bill out to 2021. Teams that do this should have to pay the price.

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
I know and understand exactly what I read, maybe you don't understand the thread

lol you really don't though. Who on the Cowboys is retiring? What does a June 1st accounting trick for a retired player have to do with anyone under contract for the Dallas Cowboys? That's right, absolutely nothing.

Dre11

Reaction score
lol you really don't though. Who on the Cowboys is retiring? What does a June 1st accounting trick for a retired player have to do with anyone under contract for the Dallas Cowboys? That's right, absolutely nothing.

As I said, you don't understand the thread, just say you don't and move on, I never said the cowboys had anyone retiring:facepalm:
the tread is about the cowboys doing some shrewd manuvering of the cap (not exactly what the saints did) to sign Dak and a couple day 1 free agents:huh:

people continue to say we cant afford Dak and sign free agents, that's false.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Still can't use this to say cap doesn't matter cause 1 guy decided to agree to a restructure. Can't guarantee the next guy will do that.

Show me where I said salary cap doesn't matter. I'll wait. :popcorn:

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
As I said, you don't understand the thread, just say you don't and move on, I never said the cowboys had anyone retiring:facepalm:
the tread is about the cowboys doing some shrewd manuvering of the cap (not exactly what the saints did) to sign Dak and a couple day 1 free agents:huh:

people continue to say we cant afford Dak and sign free agents, that's false.

And this is somehow proof, despite having absolutely nothing to do with Dak's contract situation? Just say you don't know what you're talking about and move on.

blueblood70

Reaction score
And this is somehow proof, despite having absolutely nothing to do with Dak's contract situation? Just say you don't know what you're talking about and move on.
he wont hes stubborn and that guy who is right 100% of the time no matter what.. thi thread was useless anyway as it hasn't applied nor will apply to the DC for very long time..not sure what the point was so ill say it was pointless..

teams have the cap issues all covered as they employ an army of lawyers and CPAs who have the knowledge , ie inside knowledge of their team and the nfl cap rules..billionaires are as smart as those they employee.. they got this 100% covered..