Technical explanation of why Dez runs bad routes?

vlad

Reaction score
can someone qualified (coach, player, etc) please explain to me why Dez runs bad routes? (Or does he not) Is he not accurate in his depth, does he read coverage wrong, etc...? He seems bad at getting off the line, seems like he just chops his feet. Is he not quick enough?

I really have no idea and want to get educated, thanks!

texbumthelife

Reaction score
can someone qualified (coach, player, etc) please explain to me why Dez runs bad routes? (Or does he not) Is he not accurate in his depth, does he read coverage wrong, etc...? He seems bad at getting off the line, seems like he just chops his feet. Is he not quick enough?

I really have no idea and want to get educated, thanks!

I don't know how "qualified" I am outside of spending countless hours watching All-22, but the biggest issue I see is Dez tends to run to contact. Part of that is his identity, he wants to be a physical guy. The other part of it is the guy really hasn't matured as a player on the field the last several years.

Most receivers use crisp routes and head fakes to gain separation whereas Dez runs to contact, tends to body up the defender and then extend his arms for a catch.

I think part of it also has to do with the route tree we run, the lack of double moves, the reliance on hesitation instead of said double moves and overall poor fundamentals as a unit (the WR's). I think Dooley definitely has to shoulder some of the blame.

T-RO

Reaction score
Running good, crips routes means....

1. Running a route as it was drawn up without rounding things off or getting off path
2. Getting in and out of starts, stops, and cuts quickly
3. Executing your fakes well
4. On option routes...reading the D so you know what you are supposed to run and then doing it
5. Being on time. Receivers should be along particular points along the route at particular times.
6. Running your routes with consistency
7. Always knowing your job and doing it
8. Being competent in running all routes on the tree

Dez fails in a number of these areas.

There are other things of course a good receiver does: high-point the ball, come back to the quarterback, shielding the defender, catch with your hands not body, run-after-catch. Some of these Dez does quite well...others not so well.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
I don't know how "qualified" I am outside of spending countless hours watching All-22, but the biggest issue I see is Dez tends to run to contact. Part of that is his identity, he wants to be a physical guy. The other part of it is the guy really hasn't matured as a player on the field the last several years.

Most receivers use crisp routes and head fakes to gain separation whereas Dez runs to contact, tends to body up the defender and then extend his arms for a catch.

I think part of it also has to do with the route tree we run, the lack of double moves, the reliance on hesitation instead of said double moves and overall poor fundamentals as a unit (the WR's). I think Dooley definitely has to shoulder some of the blame.
I think Dez have been watching witten lol. He is saying how is someone so slow getting open. Looked at tape. See witten lean and pushes defenders around. So Dez is mimicking him....lol....ok that was a reach or is it?

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
Running good, crips routes means....

1. Running a route as it was drawn up without rounding things off or getting off path
2. Getting in and out of starts, stops, and cuts quickly
3. Executing your fakes well
4. On option routes...reading the D so you know what you are supposed to run and then doing it
5. Being on time. Receivers should be along particular points along the route at particular times.
6. Running your routes with consistency
7. Always knowing your job and doing it
8. Being competent in running all routes on the tree

Dez fails in a number of these areas.

There are other things of course a good receiver does: high-point the ball, come back to the quarterback, shielding the defender, catch with your hands not body, run-after-catch. Some of these Dez does quite well...others not so well.
Great points, also would add DESIRE.

Steve Largent wasn't fast or close to it, but was ALWAYS OPEN, sometimes by 5 yards. The reason why, precise and perfect route running. He couldn't get open on speed, but worked his keister off on his route running as all of the great ones did and do.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is not a good offensive scheme for the skills of these players. That is the reason why.

They take players on offense and defense and try to mold them to the system. Not making the system fit to the players skills.

Is not a coach if a good coach supposed to put players in situations that gets the most out of their strengths.
This coaching staff can not do that. Or not as often as they should anyway.
Against lesser opponents this system may work, but against better teams it doesn't. Even against average teams it doesn't.

Time and time again we get shown up by lesser players but that team has good coaching. Look how many 2nd team QBs have success against us. Subpar OL, yeah they can pass protect against us as well.

GB missing like what, 10 players, but we still can't stop them. Or allow their D to stop us.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
One I think the scheme is part of the issue.

I don't feel like they move Dez around enough or create for him in the way that they should.

Two I agree with tex in that I believe being a physical receiver is just what Dez has been, probably from High school, and he got used to that being more then enough. To just bully people on the field and make plays.

In the NFL you gotta do more than just bully to be great. I think Dez has been, at times, great and can be great again. But the offense is going to have to be more creative with him and I just don't see that happening.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Not being rude, but you don't really need the most technical break down for this.

He's just not quick, nor fast, and he is sloppy in and out of his breaks.

It just doesn't put a DB in a bad position.

Carson

Reaction score
Not being rude, but you don't really need the most technical break down for this.

Agreed.

Zero separation

Verdict

Reaction score
Great points, also would add DESIRE.

Steve Largent wasn't fast or close to it, but was ALWAYS OPEN, sometimes by 5 yards. The reason why, precise and perfect route running. He couldn't get open on speed, but worked his keister off on his route running as all of the great ones did and do.

Great post. Jerry Rice also says HELLO!

dwreck27

Reaction score
I had two buddies that told me he earned every cent of his paycheck against Green Bay....

I laughed

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score

:hammer:

csirl

Reaction score
Poor route running impacts on the QB- means he hesitates and has to check before throwing at Dez. I dont think Dez is capable of running the type of quick in/out where the QB can throw unsighted.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
I like Dak but he sucks throwing the deep ball. Dez would still be Dez if Romo were QB. Not trying to slight Dak

While this may be true, another poster brought up a good point - Dez is better horizontally than vertically these days. If they used him properly, he would probably average 6-8 catches a game and be able to use his strength to break tackles for bigger plays.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Poor route running impacts on the QB- means he hesitates and has to check before throwing at Dez. I dont think Dez is capable of running the type of quick in/out where the QB can throw unsighted.

The pattern that Dez ran to get the td against Arizona is the ones he should run a majority of times, that was against zone. He ran a crossing route and settled in an opened area where he caught the ball and ran. If this would have been man coverage he would have kept running across the field.