Technical explanation of why Dez runs bad routes?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I don't know how "qualified" I am outside of spending countless hours watching All-22, but the biggest issue I see is Dez tends to run to contact. Part of that is his identity, he wants to be a physical guy. The other part of it is the guy really hasn't matured as a player on the field the last several years.

Most receivers use crisp routes and head fakes to gain separation whereas Dez runs to contact, tends to body up the defender and then extend his arms for a catch.

I think part of it also has to do with the route tree we run, the lack of double moves, the reliance on hesitation instead of said double moves and overall poor fundamentals as a unit (the WR's). I think Dooley definitely has to shoulder some of the blame.

Dallas doesnt seem to have problems running double move routes with Butler. I just think Dez is a one trick guy. I think he's lazy in the study and development department and relies more on his natural ability. Thats why the better CBs in the league have very little problem in shutting him down. Because they know how hes going to come at them and they adjust to use that to get him off balance. He scares none of the top CBs in this league. They seem to cover him easily in one on one.

haleyrules

Reaction score
I don't think Dez is lazy in the classic sense, he's just not a very smart football player. And I like Dez, so it pains me to say so. It's the truth. His big contract and reputation has him thinking he's still as good as he's always been; so he's not working on the "little things". I want to see the game changer we saw from 2010-14.
He had the big season on the back of Murray. He is too lazy. The club made their usual mistake..let substance walk and signed sizzle. They paid for the error. Bryant has ability. He can score a TD in any game he wants. He was never disciplined early in his career. He could have been much ,much, more.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Dallas doesnt seem to have problems running double move routes with Butler. I just think Dez is a one trick guy. I think he's lazy in the study and development department and relies more on his natural ability. Thats why the better CBs in the league have very little problem in shutting him down. Because they know how hes going to come at them and they adjust to use that to get him off balance. He scares none of the top CBs in this league. They seem to cover him easily in one on one.

If the Cowboys can get a receiver with Butler's speed and moves into Dez Bryant's body, they'd have an unstoppable passing game. Butler has height but he's nowhere near as strong and physical as Dez.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
If the Cowboys can get a receiver with Butler's speed and moves into Dez Bryant's body, they'd have an unstoppable passing game. Butler has height but he's nowhere near as strong and physical as Dez.
Maybe if Dez would just put in the time he does to social media we wouldnt have to hope the team could find one.

perrykemp

Reaction score
He had the big season on the back of Murray. He is too lazy. The club made their usual mistake..let substance walk and signed sizzle. They paid for the error. Bryant has ability. He can score a TD in any game he wants. He was never disciplined early in his career. He could have been much ,much, more.

I may not agree with your whole post, however, I do agree that it's highly unlikely Dez is going to get any better going forward.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While this may be true, another poster brought up a good point - Dez is better horizontally than vertically these days. If they used him properly, he would probably average 6-8 catches a game and be able to use his strength to break tackles for bigger plays.
They run him vertically to keep him from screwing up other receiver's routes and to minimize the type of routes where his screw-ups cause INTs.

I've seen him get very close to other receivers which is not how routes are designed. That basically takes him and another receiver out of the play.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would add to this that Dez doesn't cut at the proper time. If a route is called for an 8-yard out, he'll run it 7, 9, 10 yards......the QB isn't sure. So they can't run timing routes with him.

But the primary problem is #4 on your list. Great receivers run option routes according to defenses. Dez simply can't do that. He doesn't get it.
:hammer:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think Dez is lazy in the classic sense, he's just not a very smart football player. And I like Dez, so it pains me to say so. It's the truth. His big contract and reputation has him thinking he's still as good as he's always been; so he's not working on the "little things". I want to see the game changer we saw from 2010-14.
If he is not expecting the ball, he half-arse runs and sometimes doesn't run at all.

His blocking is often very lazy.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Technical explanation. He was babied by the FO and never forced to become the best player that he could have been. Irvin and Pearson were pushed and forced by economics to be better or lose their jobs. Bryant was/is a spoiled example of modern day sports and money...nothing more. No excuses for what he is. A lazy front runner that never got past being strong and fighting for job balls. The sooner his kind are gone from Dallas...the better. Learn.
:hammer::hammer::hammer:

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Technical explanation. He was babied by the FO and never forced to become the best player that he could have been. Irvin and Pearson were pushed and forced by economics to be better or lose their jobs. Bryant was/is a spoiled example of modern day sports and money...nothing more. No excuses for what he is. A lazy front runner that never got past being strong and fighting for job balls. The sooner his kind are gone from Dallas...the better. Learn.

Boom!:hammer:

Irvin was hungry probably from day one out of the womb, and no one worked harder on the practice field. I used to have an VHS instructional tape of him running routes/etc, it was impressive watching him run and explain the different routes. Dez isn't close to being what Irvin was.

erod

Reaction score
He's not a bad route-runner. Not even in the slightest. Ignore the people who say differently.
Well, then Troy Aikman, Babe Laufenberg, Cris Collinsworth, etc, are all lying to us.

There's no crispness or consistency to his routes, and he doesn't understand option routes at all. Option routes are what make Antonio Brown so impossible to cover.

TheHerd

Reaction score

Wow, tell us how you really feel!

A lot of this is hard to argue though.

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
Well, then Troy Aikman, Babe Laufenberg, Cris Collinsworth, etc, are all lying to us.

There's no crispness or consistency to his routes, and he doesn't understand option routes at all. Option routes are what make Antonio Brown so impossible to cover.

Again. This is all false.

ilykdrama

Reaction score
I used to be a huge Dez fan. Not so much anymore. He didn't do anything, as much as just expose himself as a one trick pony who's just not very intelligent. His football IQ is pretty low and he continually only relies on athletic ability. Hence, doesn't understand the usefulness of good route running with the type of player he is.

T-RO

Reaction score
Chris Carter calls out every wr he used to FLAME Calvin Johnson and swore he couldn't run good routes when he was playing and he thinks and said recently he was better than T.O. as well. He has a sort of jealous complex with any top wr he analyzes

Calvin was the fastest and the biggest but that critique is correct: CJ couldn't run routes. And Carter was objectively better than T.O.

Hall of Fame for good reason.

Jstopper

Reaction score
Calvin was the fastest and the biggest but that critique is correct: CJ couldn't run routes. And Carter was objectively better than T.O.

Hall of Fame for good reason.

Carter in his wildest dreams wasn't better than T.O stop it. It took Carter like over 7 times to get picked up for HOT. And hell if Calvin couldn't run routes sign me up for another WR who couldn't run routes.

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
Dez gets lousy releases off the line. He's slow and predictable off the snap. Greg Jennings (former NFL receiver) said on FS1 that Dez leaves his chest exposed; making him easy to jam and throw off his route.

What's frustrating about this is how talented Bryant is. He's a big, explosive target that can make acrobatic grabs and gain yards after the catch. But over the past two or three years his fundamentals have gone into the trash.
He stopped producing once Dak stepped in. Dak simply can't sling the rock to Dez like Romo could.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
*Runs towards defenders
*Doesn't have good juke moves and fakes
Isn't very fast
*Scheme sucks
*Doesn't run option routes according to the defense
*doesn't have chemistry with dak like he did with Romo

Did I miss something?

DenCWBY

Reaction score
QUOTE="Nova, post: 7589085, member: 25021"]Not being rude, but you don't really need the most technical break down for this.

He's just not quick, nor fast, and he is sloppy in and out of his breaks.

It just doesn't put a DB in a bad position.[/QUOTE]
This. Dez is effective with outmuscling his opponents for the ball, not outrunning or outmaneuvering opponents.which usually leaves Dez in traffic. Dak is more apt to not throw in traffic like Romo did which is probably frustrating Dez since he's used to getting more looks in high traffic areas. Dak is obviously not comfortable in those scenarios and may never be. Just my take.