Technical explanation of why Dez runs bad routes?

vlad

Reaction score
Thank you to all that have contributed to this thread.

Skillit

Reaction score
This isn't about Witten- but if you watch him run routes, as slow as he is (usually covered by a SS or even a nickel back in 3rd down situations) he is slickity- slick when he needs to get open.

He leans, looks, jogs, stutters, explodes and jump cuts at the precise moment the progression comes to him....and he gives the QB a window.

Dez just doesn't do that.

wssaustin

Reaction score
His 40 is probably around 4.65 now, and he is not shifty. Does not matter what route he runs.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
His 40 is probably around 4.65 now, and he is not shifty. Does not matter what route he runs.

Well I believe Irvin was about only 1/10 of a second faster, but could get seperation on any route, break tackles and take it the distance.

River82

Reaction score
Well I believe Irvin was about only 1/10 of a second faster, but could get seperation on any route, break tackles and take it the distance.

When Michael Irvin played the world record for 100m was over 10 seconds. Today it's 9.58. People have become faster and what the standard was 50 years ago isn't the same standard today

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
When Michael Irvin played the world record for 100m was over 10 seconds. Today it's 9.58. People have become faster and what the standard was 50 years ago isn't the same standard today

I assume this doesnt include Mr Bryant.

T-RO

Reaction score
Carter in his wildest dreams wasn't better than T.O stop it. It took Carter like over 7 times to get picked up for HOT. And hell if Calvin couldn't run routes sign me up for another WR who couldn't run routes.

Chris Carter wasn't the only HOF WR to criticize Megatron's route running. Jerry Rice did too, though CJ got a bit better in later years.

Jerry Rice on CJ
"When you're so dominant in college and you're such a big body, you're so physical and so unstoppable, you don't focus on just the little things."

I know it seems inconceivable to a devoted fan-boy that Dez doesn't run good routes...but the reality is he doesn't. He's been widely criticized for it by experts for years.

SkinsFan28

Reaction score
Running good, crips routes means....

1. Running a route as it was drawn up without rounding things off or getting off path
2. Getting in and out of starts, stops, and cuts quickly
3. Executing your fakes well
4. On option routes...reading the D so you know what you are supposed to run and then doing it
5. Being on time. Receivers should be along particular points along the route at particular times.
6. Running your routes with consistency
7. Always knowing your job and doing it
8. Being competent in running all routes on the tree

Dez fails in a number of these areas.

There are other things of course a good receiver does: high-point the ball, come back to the quarterback, shielding the defender, catch with your hands not body, run-after-catch. Some of these Dez does quite well...others not so well.
That's a really good breakdown. Often reading posts it's opinion/back and forth/etc. Yours was a very well summarized point of fact for the OP and for me as well. Thank you.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chris Carter wasn't the only HOF WR to criticize Megatron's route running. Jerry Rice did too, though CJ got a bit better in later years.

Jerry Rice on CJ
"When you're so dominant in college and you're such a big body, you're so physical and so unstoppable, you don't focus on just the little things."

I know it seems inconceivable to a devoted fan-boy that Dez doesn't run good routes...but the reality is he doesn't. He's been widely criticized for it by experts for years.

When you're 6-5, 240 and run a 4.3 forty, does route running even matter?

Dez is 6-2 and ran a 4.52 forty and it looks like he couldn't break 4.6 in the forty now.

Dez is not Megatron or even remotely close to being Megatron.

JBond

Reaction score
can someone qualified (coach, player, etc) please explain to me why Dez runs bad routes? (Or does he not) Is he not accurate in his depth, does he read coverage wrong, etc...? He seems bad at getting off the line, seems like he just chops his feet. Is he not quick enough?

I really have no idea and want to get educated, thanks!
I believe Dez is lazy. Watch how he plays when he is not the number one option. I have watched run plays this year where he doesn't even bother to leave the line of scrimmage if the run is going the other way. His crappy attitude will tip defenses.

TheHerd

Reaction score
When you're 6-5, 240 and run a 4.3 forty, does route running even matter?

Dez is 6-2 and ran a 4.52 forty and it looks like he couldn't break 4.6 in the forty now.

Dez is not Megatron or even remotely close to being Megatron.

This is why most outstanding physical specimen athletes are terrible coaches.

You want to know someone good to learn from? Find the guy or gal who sucked the first 4 years they were doing something, then became great. Or just became great despite being slow/short/thin/weak, whatever.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is why most outstanding physical specimen athletes are terrible coaches.

You want to know someone good to learn from? Find the guy or gal who sucked the first 4 years they were doing something, then became great. Or just became great despite being slow/short/thin/weak, whatever.

Ted Williams.

Mike Singletary