Technical explanation of why Dez runs bad routes?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
can someone qualified (coach, player, etc) please explain to me why Dez runs bad routes? (Or does he not) Is he not accurate in his depth, does he read coverage wrong, etc...? He seems bad at getting off the line, seems like he just chops his feet. Is he not quick enough?

I really have no idea and want to get educated, thanks!

Hes not very smart.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
His 40 time was 4.52, that is not slow.

erod

Reaction score
Running good, crips routes means....

1. Running a route as it was drawn up without rounding things off or getting off path
2. Getting in and out of starts, stops, and cuts quickly
3. Executing your fakes well
4. On option routes...reading the D so you know what you are supposed to run and then doing it
5. Being on time. Receivers should be along particular points along the route at particular times.
6. Running your routes with consistency
7. Always knowing your job and doing it
8. Being competent in running all routes on the tree

Dez fails in a number of these areas.

There are other things of course a good receiver does: high-point the ball, come back to the quarterback, shielding the defender, catch with your hands not body, run-after-catch. Some of these Dez does quite well...others not so well.

I would add to this that Dez doesn't cut at the proper time. If a route is called for an 8-yard out, he'll run it 7, 9, 10 yards......the QB isn't sure. So they can't run timing routes with him.

But the primary problem is #4 on your list. Great receivers run option routes according to defenses. Dez simply can't do that. He doesn't get it.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
I don't know why Dez doesn't run good routes? It isn't an effort or talent issue because he has gives tons of that. I think it has to be mental

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
He's not a bad route runner. It's a common misconception drawn up by whomever in the media played off from his rookie year where almost every WR needs work on their route running.

Dez's issues are mostly with his hand technique and how to win those hand fighting battles and avoid getting slowed up or knocked off his route. And when he doesn't practice, he gets rusty with that and that is what usually hurts him.

When I hear somebody say that Dez is a bad route runner, it's pretty easy to dismiss them because it's clear they are just going off an old narrative without actually watching and dissecting technique.

YR

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
I don't know how "qualified" I am outside of spending countless hours watching All-22, but the biggest issue I see is Dez tends to run to contact. Part of that is his identity, he wants to be a physical guy. The other part of it is the guy really hasn't matured as a player on the field the last several years.

Most receivers use crisp routes and head fakes to gain separation whereas Dez runs to contact, tends to body up the defender and then extend his arms for a catch.

I think part of it also has to do with the route tree we run, the lack of double moves, the reliance on hesitation instead of said double moves and overall poor fundamentals as a unit (the WR's). I think Dooley definitely has to shoulder some of the blame.

So in essence he's never going to be "open" Dak just needs to trust him and throw the ball away from the defender and let Dez use his body and strength to come down with the ball.

T-RO

Reaction score
He's not a bad route runner. It's a common misconception drawn up by whomever in the media played off from his rookie year where almost every WR needs work on their route running.

Dez's issues are mostly with his hand technique and how to win those hand fighting battles and avoid getting slowed up or knocked off his route. And when he doesn't practice, he gets rusty with that and that is what usually hurts him.

When I hear somebody say that Dez is a bad route runner, it's pretty easy to dismiss them because it's clear they are just going off an old narrative without actually watching and dissecting technique.
YR

Even Hall-of-Fame receiver Chris Carter has called out his route-running. I guess a hall-of-fame receiver doesn't know the art of receiving.:rolleyes:

kwcool619

Reaction score
I don't know how "qualified" I am outside of spending countless hours watching All-22, but the biggest issue I see is Dez tends to run to contact. Part of that is his identity, he wants to be a physical guy. The other part of it is the guy really hasn't matured as a player on the field the last several years.

Most receivers use crisp routes and head fakes to gain separation whereas Dez runs to contact, tends to body up the defender and then extend his arms for a catch.

I think part of it also has to do with the route tree we run, the lack of double moves, the reliance on hesitation instead of said double moves and overall poor fundamentals as a unit (the WR's). I think Dooley definitely has to shoulder some of the blame.

Exactly.

Jstopper

Reaction score
Even Hall-of-Fame receiver Chris Carter has called out his route-running. I guess a hall-of-fame receiver doesn't know the art of receiving.:rolleyes:

Chris Carter calls out every wr he used to FLAME Calvin Johnson and swore he couldn't run good routes when he was playing and he thinks and said recently he was better than T.O. as well. He has a sort of jealous complex with any top wr he analyzes

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Dez gets lousy releases off the line. He's slow and predictable off the snap. Greg Jennings (former NFL receiver) said on FS1 that Dez leaves his chest exposed; making him easy to jam and throw off his route.

What's frustrating about this is how talented Bryant is. He's a big, explosive target that can make acrobatic grabs and gain yards after the catch. But over the past two or three years his fundamentals have gone into the trash.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Technical explanation. He was babied by the FO and never forced to become the best player that he could have been. Irvin and Pearson were pushed and forced by economics to be better or lose their jobs. Bryant was/is a spoiled example of modern day sports and money...nothing more. No excuses for what he is. A lazy front runner that never got past being strong and fighting for job balls. The sooner his kind are gone from Dallas...the better. Learn.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Technical explanation. He was babied by the FO and never forced to become the best player that he could have been. Irvin and Pearson were pushed and forced by economics to be better or lose their jobs. Bryant was/is a spoiled example of modern day sports and money...nothing more. No excuses for what he is. A lazy front runner that never got past being strong and fighting for job balls. The sooner his kind are gone from Dallas...the better. Learn.

Irvin was a self-motivated player. He was always the hardest worker on the team. That's why he got away with being the hardest party guy on the roster.

I've read books where it was confirmed Irvin would be out to even 4 a.m., and still be the first guy in the weight room the next (or same?) morning.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Irvin was a self-motivated player. He was always the hardest worker on the team. That's why he got away with being the hardest party guy on the roster.

I've read books where it was confirmed Irvin would be out to even 4 a.m., and still be the first guy in the weight room the next (or same?) morning.
Agreed. Pearson was a hard, hard worker that had tp prove himself every year.

haleyrules

Reaction score

Irvin was motivated to be better than Rice and to be the best WR in the NFL. That is not a Bryant quality. He is a lazy, lazy player in spite of the clubs "spin" on him.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Irvin was motivated to be better than Rice and to be the best WR in the NFL. That is not a Bryant quality. He is a lazy, lazy player in spite of the clubs "spin" on him.

I don't think Dez is lazy in the classic sense, he's just not a very smart football player. And I like Dez, so it pains me to say so. It's the truth. His big contract and reputation has him thinking he's still as good as he's always been; so he's not working on the "little things". I want to see the game changer we saw from 2010-14.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
He's not a bad route-runner. Not even in the slightest. Ignore the people who say differently.

You are right. Dez does run good routes. As I said earlier, his problem is he can't get good releases off the line. There's no quick twitch explosion off the snap, there's no creativity. It's like he just jogs off the ball and tries to build speed as he goes. That's why the Janoris Jenkins' and Patrick Petersons' of the NFL eat him up.

If Dez can clean that up, he'll get open for Dak a lot more often.