Tell me Again Why The Architect of 3 Super Bowls is not in the ROH?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There’s a long list. Some from Landry era and several from this era.

The ROH I’d argue has been diminished in Jethro era. He rarely has inducted anyone until it was clear they were entering the HOF.
Yeah its tough man because I feel like everyone that's in there belongs to be.....the guys I read and hear about from the past are in there...I was just wondering who he was missing out on......to me it should be elite company...surely anyone who is in the Hall should be in the ROH.

I can't really think of guys who should be in that aren't in but I do know that things will get tricky once its time for Witten, Ware and Romo get in......maybe less tricky or Witten and Ware because they will be in the Hall and we know Jerry isn't going to have them in the hall without being in the ROH.......Romo is a interesting case.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agree 100%.....its probably why in 2021 he thinks he's a football guy.........the gift and the curse lol.
My problem is some fans have given him a pass for life cause of his early success . Something we didnt provide Landry and wouldn’t have provided anyone else.

Unfortunately it’s provided him a means to continue his ways which is sending him the wrong message .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah its tough man because I feel like everyone that's in there belongs to be.....the guys I read and hear about from the past are in there...I was just wondering who he was missing out on......to me it should be elite company...surely anyone who is in the Hall should be in the ROH.

I can't really think of guys who should be in that aren't in but I do know that things will get tricky once its time for Witten, Ware and Romo get in......maybe less tricky or Witten and Ware because they will be in the Hall and we know Jerry isn't going to have them in the hall without being in the ROH.......Romo is a interesting case.
The fact he refused to induct Bob Hayes, Drew Pearson, Rayfield Wright and Gil Brandt until it became clear they’d be inducted into HOF speaks volumes to Jethro’s agendas.

And I wouldn’t necessarily agree that you need to be one of the greats in the league to be recognized as one of the Cowboys greats .

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Why is Jimmy Johnson so conspicuously missing from the Cowboys Ring of Honor after all these years? After all, he is the architect that built a 3x Super Bowl champion (Barry S. won that 3rd one with the foundation Jimmy already had in place).

- Perplexed in Dallas
There is no good reason
Especially since Jimmy and Jerry have buried the hatchet

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's a shame
Life is too short to hold grudges
I agree but these are two huge egos .

At this point I think it’s Jerry’s move . If he inducts Jimmy then that is the final piece. Until then I think we must believe Jerry still has issues.

Big_D

Reaction score
I mean its Dan Marino.....one of the best QB's of all time......trading him would've took balls.....

Still 35 years old in year 1. It was stupid to not ultimately prepare for a changing of the guard. New coach, new era, time to think long term and the QB decision basically killed that.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Still 35 years old in year 1. It was stupid to not ultimately prepare for a changing of the guard. New coach, new era, time to think long term and the QB decision basically killed that.
Oh I agree but I'm just saying a team is less reluctant to give up on a guy that's a lifer like that.

The only way a team would trade a lifer like that is if they asked for their release or to be traded. Its a little different with Hershel Walker.....he wasn't a lifer.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
My problem is some fans have given him a pass for life cause of his early success . Something we didnt provide Landry and wouldn’t have provided anyone else.

Unfortunately it’s provided him a means to continue his ways which is sending him the wrong message .
Nah he should be held accountable for sure for this organizations failures especially since he's been the GM during all of it. I'll always give him praise for the early success...probably more than the average fan.....but he's the only one responsible....he has it to where he wants all the praise....gotta get all the bad too.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The fact he refused to induct Bob Hayes, Drew Pearson, Rayfield Wright and Gil Brandt until it became clear they’d be inducted into HOF speaks volumes to Jethro’s agendas.

And I wouldn’t necessarily agree that you need to be one of the greats in the league to be recognized as one of the Cowboys greats .

Pearson was in the ROH long before he got into the Hall though wasn't he? I can't think of a scenario where a guy got in the Hall before the ROH......

The ROH is suppose to be for elite company right? All Time greats? What level of player do you think they should put in there?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Pearson was in the ROH long before he got into the Hall though wasn't he? I can't think of a scenario where a guy got in the Hall before the ROH......

The ROH is suppose to be for elite company right? All Time greats? What level of player do you think they should put in there?
Not long before on Drew. Thanks to Roger. But the rest weren’t inducted until it was known they were going into HOF.

Id argue Too Tall and Harvey Martin are worthy. Maybe Cornell Green.

Remember our first two inductions in Merideth and Perkins aren’t in HOF. And Chuck Howley and Lee Roy Jordan aren’t either. It’s taken Cliff Harris 40 years .

The bigger point is there are Cowboy greats who deserve induction without the HOF.

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score
Oh I agree but I'm just saying a team is less reluctant to give up on a guy that's a lifer like that.

The only way a team would trade a lifer like that is if they asked for their release or to be traded. Its a little different with Hershel Walker.....he wasn't a lifer.

You still have to be able to make the tough decisions and build for the future. So instead you have a guy from ages 35 to 39 and you just fizzle out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Nah he should be held accountable for sure for this organizations failures especially since he's been the GM during all of it. I'll always give him praise for the early success...probably more than the average fan.....but he's the only one responsible....he has it to where he wants all the praise....gotta get all the bad too.
He hasn’t been held accountable enough. I’d argue with record revenue we are sending him the wrong message.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Again, its only a matter of time.
Jerry seems to be paving the way lately, saying the right things.

Besides greatness, I assume you need a minimum of 5 years in the organization.
So no to Deion (who is in the Falcons ROH)
but it was already yes to Haley and will be yes to Jimmy eventually.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Says Drew got in the ROH in 2011? That's 10 years ago that's longer than I thought actually lol.
Yea it was rumored that Roger made a deal with Jethro for being the leader of North Texas Super Bowl.

Drew had been a long time critic of how our owner ran Cowboys football on his radio show with Charlie Waters for years.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Ironically, Jerry's first decision was the best one he's made in the 32 years of ownership.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Jerry's money built that team. The architect's design wouldn't have come to fruition without Jerry's money. If Jimmy would have built that team during the salary cap era then I'd give him more credit. But with the money Jerry was throwing around Barry Switzer could have built a Superbowl caliber team. Jerry gave Hershal Walker a million dollars just to accept the trade to Minnesota. It was Jimmy's vision, but Jerry's money made it come true.

So my credit split is....
Jerry) 70%
Jimmy) 30%
Go see the players Jimmy drafted in Miami and put them in Cowboys uniforms and you would have 10 more Super Bowls, 1 extra Hall of Fame players (that War Daddy Jerry is always talking about), and no one would have heard of Tom Brady. Jerry deserves no credit for what a General Manager or Head Coach did in the NFL for the Dallas Cowboys from 1989-1994.

I am sure you posted this either out of ignorance or foolishness. I hope it was ignorance so we could teach you the following:
  1. Tex, and Gil had already approached Jimmy to replace Tom Landry with a deal in place before Jerry Jones back door purchase of the team. Gil and Jimmy were good friends.
  2. Tex, Gil, Bob (Ackles), and Wooten (John) had already drafted and signed Irvin, Norton, Tuinei, Newton, Gogan, and Hennings before Jerry Jones. The architects had designed, and the construction had begun before Jerry. They then were in agreement that Troy Aikman would be the no.1 overall draft pick of the 1989 draft.
  3. It was John Wooten that called Pittsburgh to make the trade for Emmitt Smith. John Wooten also, started the discussion with Jimmy to trade Herschel Walker, who back stabbed Tony Dorsett out of Dallas with Tex and Gil. So it was both a great move and payback to a back stabber. Every scout knew Walker had no vision as a RB and it was a matter of time before size and speed would decline sharply. Wooten making the trade for Smith gave you the Triplets.
  4. Jimmy had ties with Bill Walsh who was mentoring him in order to get him to replace Walsh in SF knowing the Cowboys wanted the same for Johnson to replace Landry in Dallas. So Johnson had a good read on Haley through Walsh who loved taking Big Time Players from small schools (see Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Tim Mckyer, etc.). Haley was one of his favorites, Haley respected him, and it was Walsh who told him Haley was smart so he could be reasoned with as Jimmy said.
  5. When Jerry fired Bob Ackles (who would be Johnson's GM in Miami), ran off Wooten, and held out Emmitt Smith, that is when Jimmy became very annoyed with Jerry in Dallas. Jerry was just owner only until 1993. Jimmy, Bob and John did all the personnel moves, FA moves and trades. The payment to Walker was what Jerry did to put his stamp. Herschel did not have a no trade clause and the NFL had a collective bargaining agreement. So that million dollars and tickets from Dallas to Minnesota was all Jerry Jones show off add ones that was unnecessary and Walker had no leverage against a trade.
  6. If you take all the players Jimmy drafted in Miami and put them on the Cowboys, you would have 10 more Super Bowls, 1 more Hall of Fame Player (see that War Daddy Jimmy drafted named Jason Taylor that Jerry can not find), 2 more Ring of Honor members, defense would have stayed no.1 for 10-12 years, no one would have ever heard of Tom Brady, and Randy Moss would have been a Cowboy.
  7. Jerry got in the Hall of Fame because of the TV deal he made for NFL owners, and the marketing/branding money he showed the NFL. I am sure America's Team was doing fine on TV and branding before Jerry Jones.
How do I know this? I saw the movie about Jerry Jones building the Dynasty of the 90's. It was called Truth, Lies, and Video Tape.