tell me why our D isn't...

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
joseephuss;2299569 said:
Didn't the Steelers just give up 20 points to a rookie QB who was not even supposed to see any playing time this year? A Ravens team that has no true #1 quality receiver and whose O-line is average?

or the team that allowed the said Div 2 QB to drive the length of the field to tie the score, imagine if our D had done that ;)

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
They definitely have more speed at linebacker. Farrior is faster than Bradie and Zach. Bart Scott and Ray Lewis are faster than Bradie and Zach. Ware is probably faster than the OLB's for both the Ravens and Steelers, but it's not a blowout. However, Ellis is probably the slowest OLB between the Ravens and Steelers. Also, the DE play is better. Dallas only has 1 sack between Canty, Spears, Hatcher and Bowen. The Ravens and Steelers have a little more, but I'm willing to guess their ability to penetrate and get pressure is far, far better.

I saw a lot of the Ravens and Steelers CB's playing soft coverage on the WR's last night, but I don't know to what extent. Perhaps this week I'll chart it and find out. According to Todd Archer, Dallas only played press coverage 25% of the time against Washington. But I don't know for sure if that's low or high or whatever.

YAKUZA

superpunk

Reaction score
The last time I remember seeing that swarm was when Dallas sported a completely different philosophy. We used to be undersized and quick, and swarm to the ball. I don't think it's coincidence that the only person we really see that out of now is Zach Thomas.

Now we're a large imposing team full of big people in the front seven, except for Zach of course. You're gonna see different results.

I'd love to see us play like Washington's defense - playing over our potential, rather than under it.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
btcutter;2299115 said:
like the Raven's, Steelers or the Bears????????????

I watch these defenses play and they play with a sense of urgency. They tackle and hit with ferocity that I just don't see with the boy's D. We have just as much talent on D as any of these teams.

The other D seems to love to play D and look for the next big hit, play, INT or score. Where as our D look and pray to get off the field so our Offense can't play.

Damn, don't we have a butt load of talent at CBs so why are we not pressing instead of that damn soft zone that's killing us slowly. :bang2:

When was the last time that you were excited to see our D on the field? When did you ever trusted this D to stop a 4th and 1 let alone a 3rd and 2 or 3. This D doesn't strike fear into opponents and doesn't exude confidence.

Isn't Wade hired for his Defensive genius?? step it UP!

Ask Mr Fix it. We have plenty of talent but no spark in games like Sundays.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2300015 said:
I saw a lot of the Ravens and Steelers CB's playing soft coverage on the WR's last night, but I don't know to what extent. Perhaps this week I'll chart it and find out. According to Todd Archer, Dallas only played press coverage 25% of the time against Washington. But I don't know for sure if that's low or high or whatever.

YAKUZA

Soft coverage isn't so bad if you have speed at LB able to effectively flood the underneath passing zones. We really dont have that. Let's not forget that Pitt and Baltimore also have extremely talented and instinctive players at S(Reed-Polamalu) who can play the entire field from the LOS and back. Hamlin is a solid player but he's obviously not in those guys class.

superpunk

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2300030 said:
Ask Mr Fix it. We have plenty of talent but no spark in games like Sundays.
Let's be fair - it's not typical of just Wade. We experienced the same underwhelming performances under Parcells.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
superpunk;2300043 said:
Let's be fair - it's not typical of just Wade. We experienced the same underwhelming performances under Parcells.

Agreed, but he was building. We are built.

superpunk

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2300064 said:
Agreed, but he was building. We are built.
That is also fair.

There is the possibility that we're "built" with crappy materials. Like fancy looking beams that shatter when you fart on them.

I didn't put it completely on Parcells or Zimmer when we failed when they were here, I can't drop it all on Wade. At some point, we might have to face facts - It's the players.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
miamicowboy21;2299144 said:
If we continue on this path im all for firing stewart and promoting campo to DC. When Campo had Deion and Kevin Smith it was bump and run all over the field and that allowed him to bring more pressure. I'm sick and tired of this team playing passive especially on third down,that's when you should be bringing the heat.

These guys also need to learn to take proper angles when blitzing. We seem to do just enough not to get the sack. Did you see that corner blitz from the ravens last night? He took the proper angleand finished off the play. I think Campo is better suited for this defense.

Good God I say NO to CAMPO. The reason why our D plays that read and react type of D is because of him. Thats why our secondary plays so far away from their man. There is a reason why we had so many INTs last year and we don't have one this year.

Our secondary did play off their man last year as well. But they also jumped the routes when they knew where the ball was coming. Campo style is play deep and let them run their routes. Thats why we are struggling with the pass defense this year.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
superpunk;2300079 said:
That is also fair.

There is the possibility that we're "built" with crappy materials. Like fancy looking beams that shatter when you fart on them.

I didn't put it completely on Parcells or Zimmer when we failed when they were here, I can't drop it all on Wade. At some point, we might have to face facts - It's the players.

Dude, you can shatter beams when you fart.

You either are eating a poor diet or have a rear that would make pam oliver jealous!!!!!

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
superpunk;2300079 said:
That is also fair.

I hate to say this but give this group to a Jimmy Johnson type and you don't have this "players" problem. Not that I want or think JJ should be here but his type at this moment is what these players need. JJ knew how to have fun but get results.

Wade is just a chuby jolly guy who golly geese every thing. That is why he never sticks as a HC.

Mansta54

Reaction score
theebs;2300098 said:
Dude, you can shatter beams when you fart.

You either are eating a poor diet or have a rear that would make pam oliver jealous!!!!!

Now she has awesome JUNK... Very impressive!!! ;)

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

YAKUZA

I honestly think its our zone scheme which hinders our play. We focus too much on using it.

Secondly, when we play soft coverage its deeper than most teams. And when we do that I don't see us jumping routes or looking at the QBs eyes to where he is going to throw. We seem to focused on where and who is guarding who and where and its this mix up that really does us in.

We play very little press coverage. Even less this year. Our secondary is better at press coverage than they are playing zone. I don't know why the coaches emphasize playing zone.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Aven8;2299193 said:
All in all, we overrate our defense....it's solid, but we need a lot of new players IMO. Hopefully our O can cover for it!
As long as we don't draft them in the 1st 2 rounds, we have plenty of no good 1st rounders on defense as it is.

Asklesko

Reaction score
ConstantReboot;2300093 said:
Good God I say NO to CAMPO. The reason why our D plays that read and react type of D is because of him. Thats why our secondary plays so far away from their man. There is a reason why we had so many INTs last year and we don't have one this year.

Our secondary did play off their man last year as well. But they also jumped the routes when they knew where the ball was coming. Campo style is play deep and let them run their routes. Thats why we are struggling with the pass defense this year.

I agree. We should blame Campo for this mess. Perhaps he still harbors some ill-will toward the Cowboys... Perhaps he wants to sabotage the season.

btcutter

Reaction score
They definitely have more speed at linebacker. Farrior is faster than Bradie and Zach. Bart Scott and Ray Lewis are faster than Bradie and Zach. Ware is probably faster than the OLB's for both the Ravens and Steelers, but it's not a blowout. However, Ellis is probably the slowest OLB between the Ravens and Steelers. Also, the DE play is better. Dallas only has 1 sack between Canty, Spears, Hatcher and Bowen. The Ravens and Steelers have a little more, but I'm willing to guess their ability to penetrate and get pressure is far, far better.

Yakuza

I have no problem with playing off sometimes to mix up the defensive look. It's the ATTITUDE that we lack. Other D LOOKS to score and create turnovers. Every down someone is going to hit you in the mouth and try to take your head off. Our D is happy just to get off the field. We are suppose to be HUGE in our front 7. Play like it.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2300101 said:
I hate to say this but give this group to a Jimmy Johnson type and you don't have this "players" problem. Not that I want or think JJ should be here but his type at this moment is what these players need. JJ knew how to have fun but get results.

Wade is just a chuby jolly guy who golly geese every thing. That is why he never sticks as a HC.

oh not the Jimmy walks on water stuff again

explain to me why he failed in Miami then?

Yeah he was a great coach and all, but the man quit on us.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2300202 said:
oh not the Jimmy walks on water stuff again

explain to me why he failed in Miami then?

Yeah he was a great coach and all, but the man quit on us.

That isn't what I said. A Jimmy Type is what I said.
I have never wanted him back. Miami didn't have the talent we do today.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dave_in-NC;2300218 said:
That isn't what I said. A Jimmy Type is what I said.
I have never wanted him back. Miami didn't have the talent we do today.
What's a Jimmy-type?