Terrell Owens To the HOF

lukin2006

Reaction score
John Madden once said that the “bust talk to each other when no one is there”, now they have TO to listen to his whining...hope he goes in as an eagle, they deserve each other.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
Moss got in 1st ballot because he made amends with the media.

TO continued to **** on the media and the salt wounds forced TO to wait.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I disagree. And a lot of people do.

I do agree that off the field stuff shouldn’t matter much, or at all. But lockerrrom stuff that affects how a team performs on the field is another story. Turning teammates against QBs or coaches is a lot different than squirting an official or pantomiming fans mooning players.

Randy also quit on his team when he played for the raiders. And was known for Lolly gagging on his routes when he didn’t feel like playing hard.

So let’s not act like his behavior never negatively affected his teammates either. He was just as bad as TO. Just in a different way.

robjay04

Reaction score
100% not kidding. I’d much rather play on a team with Moss than with Owens. And, purely as a player, I loved Owens. He was fast and strong and played to win.

But he made it harder on his teams along the way, and that matters, too.

This isn’t Moss v. Owens, by the way. I’m not a fan of Randy’s personality, either. It’s just that his offenses didn’t affect his teams nearly as much. Hence he gets a first ballot invitation where Owens did not. Their on field production was similar.

That’s just a matter of opinion.

During his prime, it didn’t matter where TO played or who was the QB, you were going to have an elite offense if you inserted TO into your lineup. Moss’s stint with the Raiders proved that he did not have that same impact on a starting lineup. Blame it on the QB but I think it has more to do with Moss not caring about football as much.

Using “first ballot” as a talking point is weak. Irvin wasn’t first ballot...do you agree with that? I believe Moss did a lot of positive work for himself since he left the field. He now works for the media and is colleagues with the people who vote for him while TO is very stand offish. While they were players, I never imagine Moss would be the more outgoing one. Moss also benefits that his most memorable antics came on a small market team on Minnesota...not on 3 of the most visible teams in the league.

Both were great players that deserved first ballot.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Moss was far more explosive. You won't see his kind come along again for a while.

But we definitely got Greg Ellis. Nobody can ever take that away from us.
Irvin even explained to Moss why Dallas passed over him and it was because of Irvin's off field antics.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
Randy also quit on his team when he played for the raiders. And was known for Lolly gagging on his routes when he didn’t feel like playing hard.

So let’s not act like his behavior never negatively affected his teammates either. He was just as bad as TO. Just in a different way.

Seriously.

People also forget how ****** of a teammate he was to 3 different teams in 2010. At the beginning of the season in his press conference he said people in the patriots organization “don’t wanna see me do good” and ranted on about how he doesn’t care and won’t retire. Weeks later he gets traded to Minnesota. He then has issues there and refuses to talk to the media and gets fined which leads to a highly underrated but classic interview where he tells the media he’ll ask him self the questions then give everyone the answers.

He then spends the entire time talking about the patriots and how he misses the team. He also throws the Vikings coaches under the bus stating he told them what plays the patriots would run and they didn’t acknowledge him until Sunday after the plays were run which leads to a trade to the titans in which he “quits” in several games there.

I love when cowboys fans think they know stuff outside of the cowboys when it’s clear as day they only focus on the cowboys.

EDIT: correction he gets released not traded to the Titans

Last edited:

Sage3030

Reaction score
Officially, players don’t go in as a member of a team. Unofficially, you get this:

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...ell-go-into-hall-of-fame-as-san-diego-charger

And then the HOF recognizes primary franchise contributors:

http://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/franchises/

“Hall of Famers who made the major part of their primary contribution for any one club are listed in bold. In cases where a player contributed about equally and/or in a major way to two or more clubs – he is listed in bold under both clubs (ie. Gary Zimmerman is listed with both the Vikings and the Broncos as his primary teams). Hall of Famers who spent only a minor portion of their career with any club are listed under that club in normal font.”

You will find Bill Parcels under Cowboys, unbolded, but with the Giants, he is bolded.

coogrfan

Reaction score
I disagree. It's all about production. Being a nice guy should be for awards like Walter Payton man if the year.

Owens is one of the top 3 receivers to ever play, everybody knows he should be in...... Why because he put up the numbers. Holding him out a few years is why you have guys like Pearson that isn't in the Hall, just to name a guy. Everson Walls should be in, but yet her we are waiting because the committee wants to think of ways not to put them in

"One of the top 3 receivers to ever play" who, while still in the prime of his career, was deemed more trouble than he was worth by 3 different teams. That alone should have kept him out of the Hall, imho.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s just a matter of opinion.

During his prime, it didn’t matter where TO played or who was the QB, you were going to have an elite offense if you inserted TO into your lineup. Moss’s stint with the Raiders proved that he did not have that same impact on a starting lineup. Blame it on the QB but I think it has more to do with Moss not caring about football as much.

Using “first ballot” as a talking point is weak. Irvin wasn’t first ballot...do you agree with that? I believe Moss did a lot of positive work for himself since he left the field. He now works for the media and is colleagues with the people who vote for him while TO is very stand offish. While they were players, I never imagine Moss would be the more outgoing one. Moss also benefits that his most memorable antics came on a small market team on Minnesota...not on 3 of the most visible teams in the league.

Both were great players that deserved first ballot.

It may be a matter of opinion, but it seems to be an opinion shared by the HoF voters. Using first v. third ballot certainly is not a weak argument. It’s entirely relevant.

I didn’t agree with Irvin’s wait as much because his issues were mostly off the field and he was generally a fantastic teammate who brought his teams up rather than tore them down, but he did have the McIver incident. He also didn’t have the production either of these guys had.

I’m not disputing the play of either guy on the field, so those points are moot, but take a look at Moss’ splits on grass sometime for kicks. Going to a place with a home grass field was a mistake on his part.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
George Teague held a camp for us a few years ago, I had him sign a T.O. jersey for me. He had never done that before, he signed The Defender of the Star on it!! I cantcan't the damn thing. Probably in my attic. George told me, I better not see it on ebay.

robjay04

Reaction score
It may be a matter of opinion, but it seems to be an opinion shared by the HoF voters. Using first v. third ballot certainly is not a weak argument. It’s entirely relevant.

I didn’t agree with Irvin’s wait as much because his issues were mostly off the field and he was generally a fantastic teammate who brought his teams up rather than tore them down, but he did have the McIver incident. He also didn’t have the production either of these guys had.

I’m not disputing the play of either guy on the field, so those points are moot, but take a look at Moss’ splits on grass sometime for kicks. Going to a place with a home grass field was a mistake on his part.

One works for the media and has been friendly since retirement. the other still shuns the media. The media votes on these things and it’s a popularity contest. I think that is the biggest reason why TO had to wait. Neither should’ve had to wait.

During our back and forth debate here, I did a little
more research on Moss and he was such a horrible teammate when everything wasn’t going perfect. During his stint in Oakland and his second stint in Minnesota, he was just awful. DV allegations, lobbying for a coach to be fired, admitting in press conferences that he doesn’t play hard when he’s in a bad mood and wants to be on another team next season. He was okay in New England but that’s probably because everything went perfect...Belichick knew when it was time to trade him though.

TO never made a peep off the field and on the field, he was the hardest worker on the team.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Ray Lewis was involved in somebody’s murder and is a convicted criminal.

But he talks about Jesus and god a lot. So he gets in first ballot no problem.

But T.O. said some bad things about the media and other players. So shame shame shame on him. Let’s make him wait....

It’s a joke.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

It really depends on what the off the field issues are. Anything involving domestic violence especially these days is going to keep even a spectacular player out of the HOF for at least awhile if not forever if they’re convicted. It would be a very awkward/uncomfortable situation to bring a player in front of a large group of people to accept an honor as prestigious as a Hall of Fame induction with something like that hanging over their head. There’s bound to be some boos in the audience. It’s not going set well with a lot of people, it would lead to some backlash. I get what you said in a previous post about that the honor should focus on what a player did on the field but certain offenses are going to have an affect on some of the voters. It’s human nature. Pete Rose isn’t in the baseball Hall of Fame because of gambling. To me that’s silly.

As for Michael Irvin he should have been a first ballot Hall of Famer based on his play but his transgressions caused the voters to make him wait a year. The image of him walking in a courtroom looking like a pimp wearing a fur coat had a negative effect on a lot of people. Drugs, prostitutes and cheating on his wife could have kept him out of the HOF a lot longer. As for his career numbers, he didn’t have the production Moss and TO did but during the playoffs his production is second only to Jerry Rice. In 16 playoff games Irvin had 87 catches for 1315 yards and 8 TD’s. That would be a great season for any receiver. Those numbers contributed to three championships.