Texans are releasing JJ Watt

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
This isn't as bad of a move for Houston. He's 32 has had multiple season ending injuries and is owed 17.5 million. They'll get a 3rd round comp pick for the 2022 draft after someone signs him. Likely either Green Bay where he's from or Pittsburgh where his brother is.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Someone will probably sign him, perhaps for even less than we might think. Pittsburgh is an organization that is extremely cost-conscious, so they would likely prefer to offer him something quite modest in salary. This should be an interesting situation to take note of. Would the Cowboys see fit to offer more than Pittsburgh would? Is JJ really hell-bound to join his brother in Pittsburgh, regardless of the contract offer he'd get? We'll see.

Creeper

Reaction score
The story I heard is he asked Houston to release him and they obliged as a favor to him. That is why they did not trade him.

I also heard he wants to go to a team with a chance to make it to the Super Bowl. He is from Wisconsin originally, so maybe he is eyeing Green Bay and Aaron Rodger?

People say Pittsburgh, but what if Rothlisberger retires, which has been rumored as well? Would he still want to go to Pittsburgh with an unknown QB?

As for the Cowboys, people who say JJ Watt is finished are probably close. I think he has a year or two left in him although injuries are a big concern. Maybe he wants to stay in Texas, but if that were true then why not stay in Houston? I am guessing he either wants to play with his brother in Pittsburgh, or go back to Wisconsin. Then again, it would not shock me to see him in Miami or San Diego.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
The story I heard is he asked Houston to release him and they obliged as a favor to him. That is why they did not trade him.

I also heard he wants to go to a team with a chance to make it to the Super Bowl. He is from Wisconsin originally, so maybe he is eyeing Green Bay and Aaron Rodger?

People say Pittsburgh, but what if Rothlisberger retires, which has been rumored as well? Would he still want to go to Pittsburgh with an unknown QB?

As for the Cowboys, people who say JJ Watt is finished are probably close. I think he has a year or two left in him although injuries are a big concern. Maybe he wants to stay in Texas, but if that were true then why not stay in Houston? I am guessing he either wants to play with his brother in Pittsburgh, or go back to Wisconsin. Then again, it would not shock me to see him in Miami or San Diego.
The story you heard? You mean the tweet that’s gone viral of JJ posting what happened.

Gaede

Reaction score
Absolutely bring him in. And Sherman. This defense is not only in need of better players, but better leaders. People who have actually accomplished something in their career. The best we've got is Lawrence and Jaylon.

We don't talk enough about the leadership void here.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Is JJ really hell-bound to join his brother in Pittsburgh, regardless of the contract offer he'd get? We'll see.

Not every NFL player is totally out for the money. Watt's made millions and millions of dollars, money may be the least of his reasons to go anywhere, if he goes at all.
Maybe he retires if he doesn't get to go where he wants?

Like you said, we'll see...

fivetwos

Reaction score
We need a leader on defense and he could be it.

There will be a lot of young players on that unit this year no doubt and we need a veteran to step up and lead. I don't see anyone currently around that is capable.

I wouldn't be against it at all.