Texans are releasing JJ Watt

HungryLion

Reaction score
This isn't as bad of a move for Houston. He's 32 has had multiple season ending injuries and is owed 17.5 million. They'll get a 3rd round comp pick for the 2022 draft after someone signs him. Likely either Green Bay where he's from or Pittsburgh where his brother is.

They won’t get a comp pick. He was cut so he isn’t eligible.

that being said it was still the right move. He isn’t worth the 17.5 mil they save by cutting him.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
He would likely be the 3T here. Combo with Gallimore as a vet mentor. Would be good for that role, but at the right cost. Team leader. Probably what they are imagining for McCoy, if he is fully healed.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Not every NFL player is totally out for the money. Watt's made millions and millions of dollars, money may be the least of his reasons to go anywhere, if he goes at all.
Maybe he retires if he doesn't get to go where he wants?

Like you said, we'll see...

Agreed. It also remains to be seen if the Steelers would be willing to deal with someone who has been so prone to injury in the past 5 years or so. They would seem likely to seriously consider his injury situation before deciding if they're willing to take on that risk. Anything's possible, here.

Creeper

Reaction score
The story you heard? You mean the tweet that’s gone viral of JJ posting what happened.

I was responding to the speculation about why they did not trade him. They could have denied JJ's request for a release and made a trade for him.

birdwells1

Reaction score
This is who I want, we need talent in the middle and this is the guy. SIGN JJ NOW!!!!!!

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Watt sat down with the Texans and had a ‘discussion.’ During or after the discussion Watt asked for his release. He asked for his release. Texans said ok. Watt says nothing about the details of the discussion or why he asked for a release. This video is a bunch of bull crap in my opinion.

Feels like: Wife comes in one day and says thank you for choosing me, going to work, buying me stuff, providing me a wonderful home, being there for me when I was sick, and thanks for everything. It’s not you, I just need change. I’m asking for a divorce. I’m leaving. By the way, all the kids feel the same way and want to leave. No future here. Oh, I’ll announce it on social media so I look like the good person.

Or feels like: Husband comes home one day and says, why am I paying all this money. She got old, body changed after a few kids, doesn’t look like she did years ago. Maybe time to get a cheaper younger wife.

Pretty much nothing but divorce drama. Nothing we don’t see everyday with divorces or job changes. People say the right things and hide what really happened and new people and companies enter the picture. C’est la vie.

Cuts, FA, draft, camp, injuries, cuts, games, injuries, and repeat.

Love the Wisconsin sweatshirt. No better way to say I love you, Houston.

birdwells1

Reaction score
We need a leader on defense and he could be it.

There will be a lot of young players on that unit this year no doubt and we need a veteran to step up and lead. I don't see anyone currently around that is capable.

I wouldn't be against it at all.

Especially on the dline.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Watt sat down with the Texans and had a ‘discussion.’ During or after the discussion Watt asked for his release. He asked for his release. Texans said ok. Watt says nothing about the details of the discussion or why he asked for a release. This video is a bunch of bull crap in my opinion.

Feels like: Wife comes in one day and says thank you for choosing me, going to work, buying me stuff, providing me a wonderful home, being there for me when I was sick, and thanks for everything. It’s not you, I just need change. I’m asking for a divorce. I’m leaving. By the way, all the kids feel the same way and want to leave. No future here. Oh, I’ll announce it on social media so I look like the good person.

Or feels like: Husband comes home one day and says, why am I paying all this money. She got old, body changed after a few kids, doesn’t look like she did years ago. Maybe time to get a cheaper younger wife.

Pretty much nothing but divorce drama. Nothing we don’t see everyday with divorces or job changes. People say the right things and hide what really happened and new people and companies enter the picture. C’est la vie.

Cuts, FA, draft, camp, injuries, cuts, games, injuries, and repeat.

Love the Wisconsin sweatshirt. No better way to say I love you, Houston.

I’d prefer him sitting down with ownership and saying hey we gave it our all and it didn’t work and I think it’s best to move on and part ways then going on social media or espn or other media outlets and saying how disgruntled he is. He gets to pick his new location and the Texans will save a bunch of money. Win win.

sometimes things can end amicably even in bed situations

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Watt a lot and I think he still has some juice in the tank but he is not what the Cowboys need. He is on the backside of his career and needs to be on a better defense that he can help lift from good to very good, if not great. He cannot lift this poor defense to where it needs to go. He is best used as a role/rotational player and the Cowboys need a stud DT that can play as many plays as Lawrence.

The Cowboys already have that role player in Gregory. They need more meat in the middle.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d prefer him sitting down with ownership and saying hey we gave it our all and it didn’t work and I think it’s best to move on and part ways then going on social media or espn or other media outlets and saying how disgruntled he is. He gets to pick his new location and the Texans will save a bunch of money. Win win.

sometimes things can end amicably even in bed situations
I've had some bed situations that didn't end amicably.

Bigdog

Reaction score
He might go to Chicago or some team close as his wife plays soccer for the professional women’s team there.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I would take Watt if he weren't so expensive. I don't think there's much juice left in the tank and he's a shell of what he was, but you can pay a guy like that $4M a year and feel fine.

At $17.5M? Nah, I get the release.

2 healthy seasons in 5 years is a real concern.