Twitter: Texans HC DeMeco Ryans says Cowboys make it difficult to cover CeeDee Lamb

I think we need to use nuance more when it comes to Shotty criticism. My gripe with him is in-game management, not scheme.

It’s obvious, especially from a passing standpoint, that Shotty’s scheme is a good one. We use a lot of motion and aren’t predictable schematically.

With both Garrett and McCarthy we had complaints about scheme and predictability. While Shotty may call a play or two you don’t like, the offensive scheme is really good.

Maybe he gets figured out in time, and they also need to get the run game back moving, but as of right here and now this offense can move the ball and Shotty deserves credit for that.
Great post. Schotty's offense, schematically, is excellent. The game management things are crazy to me, but the reality is that you can nitpick playcalls for every coach so that's not unique.

Unlike the previous two (more JG than MM, probably), the coaching staff consistently failed to find any answers to what a defense is doing. That's not true now.

Part of that is how good Dak is pre-snap, but certainly the scheme enables it.
 
John Owning has a great breakdown on how they were able to scheme up CD (like Baltimore did with Flowers the previous week) if you want to cough up your $5 a month.
 
Great post. Schotty's offense, schematically, is excellent. The game management things are crazy to me, but the reality is that you can nitpick playcalls for every coach so that's not unique.

Unlike the previous two (more JG than MM, probably), the coaching staff consistently failed to find any answers to what a defense is doing. That's not true now.

Part of that is how good Dak is pre-snap, but certainly the scheme enables it.
Yeah makes you feel like I wish we’d have had an expert game management and decision making HC with Shotty as OC.

Especially cause it didn’t seem like Shotty would ever get a HC gig meaning we don’t have to be afraid of him being poached.

I can see this going bad lol, but a part of me would be super interested in a Belicheck defense and culture/game management and Shotty as the Josh McDaniels run the whole offense guy.

Especially if Bill doesn’t get to do the GM duties this set-up intrigues me.
 
Yeah makes you feel like I wish we’d have had an expert game management and decision making HC with Shotty as OC.

Especially cause it didn’t seem like Shotty would ever get a HC gig meaning we don’t have to be afraid of him being poached.

I can see this going bad lol, but a part of me would be super interested in a Belicheck defense and culture/game management and Shotty as the Josh McDaniels run the whole offense guy.

Especially if Bill doesn’t get to do the GM duties this set-up intrigues me.
Well I mean they're not going to just demote Schotty to hire BB lol. I do think Schotty is probably better in that McDaniels type role though.

I'd rather have the culture they currently have - this team does play hard - than whatever it was BB left behind in NE and the circus that would come with him. They just need someone in Schotty's ear about when to kick field goals and call timeouts. Could be an intern lol.

The reality is that lots of coaches make the same dumb decisions Schotty does. Tomlin did it, McDermott did it...
 
Wow.......


Finally, somebody states the obvious. All these talking heads sound like teams are CHOOSING to double Pickens instead of Lamb because they perceive CeeDee to be a lesser threat. The truth is GP is reliably lined up on the left outside, so they can set their double coverage without all the complications of tracking CeeDee to God knows where he's going to line up.
 
Texans D was awful. It’s all predicated on pass rush, and with Guyton stonewalling Hunter, they helped Steele enough to keep Anderson’s impact to a minimum. Without pressure and their lb hurt, the middle of their D was horrible. Betting the over should have been a given when Kenneth Murray was called up.

The final TD was just awful. Lamb is eating them alive, and they give him the middle. Bush league sort of thing we’re used to seeing from our D.
 
Wow.......


Nice to hear from another team that we're creating matchup problems. Although I'm past the days of blaming head coaches for our failures, one of my main problems with Garrett was his belief that it was all about execution over scheme, my guy beating your guy. There were definitely times in this game where we set it up to either clear out an area in the zone for Lamb or if the defense compensated for that, Pickens would be one-on-one deep.

I also liked that we switched it up some. Broadcasters pointed out how we hardly ever lined up Lamb and Pickens together on the same side of the field, preferring to put pressure on the defense by spreading them out. Then, in this game, we had them on the same side multiple times.

Whatever we think of No-Schott as a head coach, it's hard to say based on the last two seasons that his offensive scheme is not effective. Of course, like with any unit, a lot of it comes down to personnel and we have two of the top receivers in the league on the same team.

We all know that our weak links are the tackles, but at least Guyton seems to have found himself as a player if he can keep it up. That means we only have one true weak link, although the running game needs to perform better, which hopefully it will do when Smith returns to the lineup.
 
To be honest, Lamb has always been 'difficult to cover' coz he plays all three WR positions at a high level. Not sure why we don't see more games like Sunday from him. Coaching....Dak...playcalling .....whoever/whatever but they need to figure it out.
You know what's crazy is he's one of the rarities that get paid and actually keep playing at a high level We should salute him for doing that Prescott's another one I don't want to hear that he's overpaid at least he's still producing he hasn't got hurt and cut from the team without doing anything..
 
Finally, somebody states the obvious. All these talking heads sound like teams are CHOOSING to double Pickens instead of Lamb because they perceive CeeDee to be a lesser threat. The truth is GP is reliably lined up on the left outside, so they can set their double coverage without all the complications of tracking CeeDee to God knows where he's going to line up.
That is a good point. It's a lot easier to double a player when you don't have to change the coverage call for him if he moves around. After what Lamb had done this season, and particularly in this game, though, I would think that defenses will adjust their coverages to try to bracket him wherever he goes.

Even though they play a lot of zone, the Texans have two really good cover corners and probably thought that would be enough without changing up their coverage. Obviously, it was not.
 
Wow.......


Not sure why this has to keep being a wow for you I know what you're doing here You don't like Brian Stottenheimer especially as a head coach so you're trying to degrade what he's done as an offensive coordinator people you are picking apart and on every thread there are a group of people here that don't like to hire so they keep acting like he's not doing much no he's doing a lot this offense is humming sort of the best offenses in the league and he should get some credit for it His designs emotions I would like to see Prescott under center more but right now with the way the defense is playing they're being pressured to score on every drive and not make a mistake and that's hard to coach you know how hard it is to coach when you know that your special teams in your defense might just fall apart and give up 40 and all you can do is try to score on every drive and that is hard pressure to deal with he should get more credit..

I mean there are people here that said if The Cowboys would have lost that game that there's a possibility we should talk about him being fired and I'm saying OK so you want a new head coach who is that right now on this team that's rhetorical there isn't a guy on this team you can elevate second of all who's going to replace him as the play caller and not have a mutiny on your hands Because I believe the fans think one way of BS but his offense really like him so I don't want to hear the nonsense he is coaching at a pretty damn high level and let's not nitpick the things you may not like about some of his decisions in the play calls Because again he's doing it because he has problems on the other side of the ball that he has to contend with mentally figuring out what would I normally do but what do I have to do in order to protect the defense and special teams..

He's also not his fault that guys are jumping offsides getting penalties fumbling the ball not being where they're supposed to dropping passes like George Pickens that was a big play in the Giants game that could have turned that game that is not Schottenheimer's fault he's doing the best he can and nobody's perfect..

And I understand those some of those decisions the fourth in one against the Giants or whatever that was I agree with that I also agree with the call at the end of the Ravens game but I'm absolutely angry I was angry at the time that he went for those two long field goals right before the half against the Texans that is absolutely stupid..

But yes there's been some flaws from both the play calling and the head coaching side but for the most part he gets an A in my opinion The defense gets a d-, And and the special teams get a C...


It be nice if the rest of this team would show up on a regular basis not a couple series here and there a couple plays here and there to help Brian more..
 
C'mon........I'm not saying he should be breaking records every Sunday but his impact can/should be top 3 at least.
Not really you think that other teams don't try really hard to take them out of games the first half was a proof of that they didn't block long enough for him to get open but they were playing a dirty 7 player zone that's very difficult to find holes in quick enough when your offensive line is playing as bad as they were in the first half and that's not the first time we've had a swinging gate tackle that makes Prescott have to throw the ball faster than he should..

So let the games play out don't say he should be doing that no he shouldn't he is playing the best he can but he's not gonna always dominate because there are other teams that are trying to find ways to slow him down So let's go to the other side let Pickens the TES and the running back should be a more of a factor not just him..

If I was going to pick on one thing it has to be that they need to find a better right tackle last year it was bolt tackles They were forcing these tight ends to staying in block too much they've turned them into offensive lineman and there's not a lot happening downfield for our guys like Ferguson or BSF it's not their fault they're being asked to stay that close to the line that is limiting this offense but other than that no you can't expect Lamb to have a game like this every game It is a career game he's had a career year in 2023 he continues to play consistent and that's all you can ask you're gonna have some bad games You're gonna have some bad games

But the rest of them I expect much more from George and I for sure wanna see more from the running back out of the backfield going out on routes where's that guy and then the tight ends need to be more than just blockers They're doing this just like they did in 2023 without a lot else going on...
 
Texans D was awful. It’s all predicated on pass rush, and with Guyton stonewalling Hunter, they helped Steele enough to keep Anderson’s impact to a minimum. Without pressure and their lb hurt, the middle of their D was horrible. Betting the over should have been a given when Kenneth Murray was called up.

The final TD was just awful. Lamb is eating them alive, and they give him the middle. Bush league sort of thing we’re used to seeing from our D.
Yeah, I still don't get the coverage call on the TD. If you are going to have the corner play outside leverage, then you have to have a safety undercut that route. Of course, if the corner had been playing inside leverage, I'm confident Lamb would have just beaten him to the post. The only appropriate move there would have been to bracket Lamb inside and outside since he had been beating you all day. Maybe Pickens would have been open if that had happened, but I wouldn't have let Lamb beat me.
 
Yeah I’ve never heard anyone say it publicly I’m really shocked.
Well , when you're leading the league in most offensive categories I'd say that he must be out coaching somebody I mean I know there's more emotion and a little bit more goes into these if he can get a little bit better run game a little more of a threat out of the tight ends then he could probably open this up even more..

I don't think he's a genius but I think he doesn't get enough credit for making this offense a little bit better balanced run versus pass harder to read where everything is coming from like Mike Mccarthy had some good offenses so did Kellen Moore but it seemed like they weren't connected to the run game enough but this offense is still missing that home run Big play quick hitters from other positions that we could use.
 
Texans played quarters/cover 4 almost the entire game.


yeah, that's what I saw. When you combine that with how we moved Lamb around it was always going to be a matchup nightmare because they were also clouding GP with a guy 85% of the time. I give Dak credit because he still had to execute, and every QB can't make those same throws under pressure.
 

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
476,189
Messages
14,671,697
Members
24,227
Latest member
Nathaniel
Back
Top