Signed by Cowboys Texans trade DT Eli Ankou to Dallas Cowboys for seventh rd pick

glimmerman

Reaction score
He has made 2.4 million so far in his career. Lol. Come on in and get a check. Maybe he will be better than Poe..

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'll bet our FO took a look at his measurables and felt he can't be worse than Poe! :muttley:
But the funny part is -- wait for it . . . . . they just might be right!! :lmao:
On second thought -- it's not so funny, after all. :omg:

Last edited:

Carson

Reaction score
again I will reiterate there has to be a legit reason that the coaching and management teams saw to spend a 7th on this guy....I’m going to assume as fans we are not privy to it

but I’m sure there will be dozens more responses just like yours stating it’s bc of our front offices ineptitude or bc we have a penchant for pain and losing...etc. I’m going to stick with there’s something we don’t know being decided by football people that know much more than us

Ok then. Let’s look at what WE DO KNOW

Ankou went undrafted out of UCLA in 2017, but was signed by the Houston Texans and failed to make the final roster. He was then claimed by Jacksonville and saw action in nine games, mostly on special teams. In 2018, Ankou actually saw action in even fewer games; he was limited to two contests again primarily playing special teams. Ankou failed to make the roster for 2019, but signed to the Jacksonville practice squad.

The Canadian native, was actually selected in the third round of the Canadian Football League Draft, but obviously chose the NFL path instead. Ankou would have likely been a first-round CFL selection, but it was common knowledge he would likely never go North. He fits the profile of a stereotypical 3-4 nose tackle and Jacksonville was hoping he could elevate his game to fill that role on the two-deep, but that never materialized.

The Browns are hoping he can provide depth at defensive tackle, but it is hard to envision him making much of an impact or even being on the active roster long. Ankou is not an impressive pass rusher in any sense of the imagination and despite having the ideal size to play the position, he carries too much sloppy weight. He is still only 25 years old and could potentially develop into an adequate reserve, but I am not getting my hopes up.

Source : https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/br...i-ankou-scouting-report-cleveland-browns/amp/

So ... we’re expecting a guy who has bounced around multiple teams, carries sloppy weight and overall isn’t a good player to just miraculously change? It’s not a change of location because he’s made stops in Houston, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Houston again and now Dallas. So he isn’t able to stick on teams that are notoriously average. This is Brian Price, Chris Covington, Cedric Thornton, Stephen Paea, Nick Hayden etc. the list goes on.

Sometimes a turd is just that. A turd. Yes. I know. It’s a silly 7th round pick that likely means nothing. But it’s the front offices silly attempt to put a band aid over a arm that’s been sawed off.

By comparison, On October 18, 2020, McClendon and a 2023 seventh-round pick was traded to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a 2022 sixth-round pick. McClendon is 34, but proven, a captain, high motored and proven on this league. You trade what we traded and get a better player.

Last edited:

Jipper

Reaction score

Ankou went undrafted out of UCLA in 2017, but was signed by the Houston Texans and failed to make the final roster. He was then claimed by Jacksonville and saw action in nine games, mostly on special teams. In 2018, Ankou actually saw action in even fewer games; he was limited to two contests again primarily playing special teams. Ankou failed to make the roster for 2019, but signed to the Jacksonville practice squad.

The Canadian native, was actually selected in the third round of the Canadian Football League Draft, but obviously chose the NFL path instead. Ankou would have likely been a first-round CFL selection, but it was common knowledge he would likely never go North. He fits the profile of a stereotypical 3-4 nose tackle and Jacksonville was hoping he could elevate his game to fill that role on the two-deep, but that never materialized.

The Browns are hoping he can provide depth at defensive tackle, but it is hard to envision him making much of an impact or even being on the active roster long. Ankou is not an impressive pass rusher in any sense of the imagination and despite having the ideal size to play the position, he carries too much sloppy weight. He is still only 25 years old and could potentially develop into an adequate reserve, but I am not getting my hopes up.

Source : https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/br...i-ankou-scouting-report-cleveland-browns/amp/

So ... we’re expecting a guy who has bounced around multiple teams, carries sloppy weight and overall isn’t a good player to just miraculously change? It’s not a change of location because he’s made stops in Houston, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Houston again and now Dallas. So he isn’t able to stick on teams that are notoriously average. This is Brian Price, Chris Covington etc. the list goes on.

Sometimes a turd is just that. A turd. Yes. I know. It’s a silly 7th round pick that likely means nothing. But it’s the front offices silly attempt to put a band aid over a arm that’s been sawed off.

By comparison, On October 18, 2020, McClendon and a 2023 seventh-round pick was traded to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a 2022 sixth-round pick. McClendon is 34, but proven, a captain, high motored and proven on this league. You trade what we traded and get a better player.

25, has ideal size for a nt and has pro starting experience, maybe they see something in him they think they can work with. Also,maybe we weren’t the only team interested....

I get what you are quoting from the browns and what you are saying, I’m also not saying there are massive expectations for this guy...and I don’t like wasting picks even a 7th

but I’m going to fight the urge to discount that the fo sees something or has a specific plan on this guy and it’s why they spent a 7th.

Does he have a weak pro past, yes....does he have ideal size for the position, yes....has he struggled to make nfl rosters consistently, yes....is he young and are there opportunities for improvement, yes......

your point is valid as is mine, I’m just choosing to accept that there is something that makes him desirable to our team which we don’t know...that’s all

blueblood70

Reaction score
25, has ideal size for a nt and has pro starting experience, maybe they see something in him they think they can work with. Also,maybe we weren’t the only team interested....

I get what you are quoting from the browns and what you are saying, I’m also not saying there are massive expectations for this guy...and I don’t like wasting picks even a 7th

but I’m going to fight the urge to discount that the fo sees something or has a specific plan on this guy and it’s why they spent a 7th.

Does he have a weak pro past, yes....does he have ideal size for the position, yes....has he struggled to make nfl rosters consistently, yes....is he young and are there opportunities for improvement, yes......

your point is valid as is mine, I’m just choosing to accept that there is something that makes him desirable to our team which we don’t know...that’s all
I agree with you...

why fans react this way ill never understand,

and im betting many , never heard of this guy yet take another thread and turn it into another FO dont know jack and its another mistake. They take shots every chance they get to be anti Jerry, its mistake before it happens..

its is simple, this isnt a Jerry move as most arent, they have a scouting department and when a player at certain positions are cut, traded, or inured the Scouts comb the nfl rosters to get player or two to take that depleted spot "as depth"

Jerry is brought these lists and they go over them and make a consensus on who to bring in..

its 7th people , calm the bleep down..!!

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Just going to do one big LLLOOOLLL, I would be here all morning laughing at each post, there are some great ones in this thread.

Carson

Reaction score
I agree with you...

and im betting many , never heard of this guy yet take another thread and turn it into another FO dont know jack and its another mistake. They take shots every chance they get to be anti Jerry, its mistake before it happens..

its is simple, this isnt a Jerry move as most arent, they have a scouting department and when a player at certain positions are cut, traded, or inured the Scouts comb the nfl rosters to get player or two to take that depleted spot "as depth"

Jerry is brought these lists and they go over them and make a consensus on who to bring in..

I haven’t seen much of him in the NFL. But I did watch him at UCLA.

He is like most of our DTs. They definitely look the part. That’s all I’ll say

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have not read through all the posts yet, and probably will not.
But did anyone think, or maybe it has been posted.
This is a player we targeted. But Texans got him on waiver claim before us, as they may been ahead of us in the order.
Then the texans being as bad as us decided to just trade him.

Last edited:

Carson

Reaction score
Have not read through all the posts yet, and probably will not.
But did anyone thing, or maybe it has been posted.
This is a player we targeted. But Texans got him on waiver claim before us, as they may been ahead of us in the order.
Then the texans being as bad as us decided to just trade him.

Jerry and Stephen : Every GM has a price!!!! We always get our man!

GranularCoarseGreatargus-max-1mb.gif

Jipper

Reaction score
I agree with you...

Yeah for sure, I agree, and there certainly is some validity to having trepidation to trading a draft pick for a player that might have easily been on the street in the near future....but we just don’t know and have to trust the fo.

hope this guys becomes a good rotational guy for us

Creeper

Reaction score
Why in the world would they give up a 7th round pick for an undrafted player who has been cut by 3 teams in 3 years? There was no one out there they could sign off the street that could play as well as this guy?

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Yeah for sure, I agree, and there certainly is some validity to having trepidation to trading a draft pick for a player that might have easily been on the street in the near future....but we just don’t know and have to trust the fo.

hope this guys becomes a good rotational guy for us
25 years of ineptitude and on the heels of the worst FA class in history and you want to trust this FO??? Okay.....

Jipper

Reaction score
25 years of ineptitude and on the heels of the worst FA class in history and you want to trust this FO??? Okay.....

the fo has been one of the best drafting groups in the past decade, so they do have good eyes for talent. Where they have struggled is in FA, so yes I have reason to trust in their talent evaluation but also be cautious

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score

So ... we’re expecting a guy who has bounced around multiple teams, carries sloppy weight and overall isn’t a good player to just miraculously change? It’s not a change of location because he’s made stops in Houston, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Houston again and now Dallas. So he isn’t able to stick on teams that are notoriously average. This is Brian Price, Chris Covington, Cedric Thornton, Stephen Paea, Nick Hayden etc. the list goes on.

Yep, sounds like the kind of move a team that hasn't won anything in a quarter of a century would make.

kskboys

Reaction score

I was going to call him a JAG, but it appears as if his designation isn't even that high. So, I guess he's a JAS, Just A Slug.