Texas Longhorns and who will be the next coach

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thought this thread would be better to talk about the possible new coach for the Longhorns instead of the old BYU thread.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I think Mack will be there as long as he wants but if I were to guess I would say they raid & get Sumlin or Briles.

bounce

Reaction score
Whether or not they get him, option 1 is going to be going full-force at Nick Saban. Everyone else is a consolation prize.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Whether or not they get him, option 1 is going to be going full-force at Nick Saban. Everyone else is a consolation prize.

Saban said he is too old to move... BUT he could have a chance to do what no one else has ever done; Win a football NC with three different schools... plus Texas is the richest school by FAR, so they could throw some impressive cash at him...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Saban said he is too old to move... BUT he could have a chance to do what no one else has ever done; Win a football NC with three different schools... plus Texas is the richest school by FAR, so they could throw some impressive cash at him...

Saban said he was too old to "start over". Not to move.

Going to UT wouldn't really be starting over.
Yes, that's semantics but Saban said he loved LSU and had no desire to leave a week before he took the Dolphins job too.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Saban said he was too old to "start over". Not to move.

Going to UT wouldn't really be starting over.
Yes, that's semantics but Saban said he loved LSU and had no desire to leave a week before he took the Dolphins job too.

Did the same thing with the Dolphins.

MC KAos

Reaction score
I actually think josh mcdaniels would make a great coach at UT for a long time, don't think it will happen but that's who I'd like

bounce

Reaction score

I imagine that's more of an appeasement to the Alabama fan base than anything. I'm not saying he will leave, but he's smart to deflect that sort of question mid-season/mid-contract. UT could double or triple his salary and not even blink. They offer the best chance to "rebuild" a top notch program, at arguably the best football school in the country (money/prestige wise), while getting paid handsomely to do so, and solidifying himself as best NCAA coach ever. There are worse situations for Saban to go into. Texas needs Saban, and honestly, the NCAA needs Saban at Texas.

Aggie87

Reaction score
I imagine that's more of an appeasement to the Alabama fan base than anything. I'm not saying he will leave, but he's smart to deflect that sort of question mid-season/mid-contract. UT could double or triple his salary and not even blink. They offer the best chance to "rebuild" a top notch program, at arguably the best football school in the country (money/prestige wise), while getting paid handsomely to do so, and solidifying himself as best NCAA coach ever. There are worse situations for Saban to go into. Texas needs Saban, and honestly, the NCAA needs Saban at Texas.

Why does Saban "need" Texas? His place in NCAA history is pretty secure already.

Aikbach

Reaction score
IF Mack Brown "retires" the genuine short list of prospects should include the following:

Dave Campo (just kidding)
Sonny Dykes (Texas blood, family knows the state and has great respect at hs level with his name)
Phil Montgomery (Baylor OC is mighty loyal to Briles but some things are too good to pass up, he is also one of Baylor's key recruiters)
Chris Petersen (I think Boise State has plateaued and he might be motivated to seek new adventures)
Bill Muschamp (is a buyout possible to lure back the man once intended to be the heir in waiting?)
Jon Gruden (exciting to play for, but can he recruit?)
Tony Levine (considering the last two UH coaches were Kevin Sumlin and Art Briles, might as well see if there's a third diamond to pinch)

StylisticS

Reaction score
Jim Mora Jr.
Chad Morris ( Texas never hires coaches that have no college or pro experience but he does have Texas recruiting ties and he's probably the best OC in the nation).
Charlie Strong
David Shaw (I doubt he leaves Stanford but money talks)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Why does Saban "need" Texas? His place in NCAA history is pretty secure already.

He didn't say Saban needs Texas. Having said that, I don't think Saban leaves Alabama for another college program. If he goes, it's because someone like Jerry Jones offers him a boatload of money and a chance to become another Jimmy Johnson.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Since I don't think Mack Brown is leaving anytime soon. I will say Major Applewhite he should be in his early 40's by then. :)

Aggie87

Reaction score
He didn't say Saban needs Texas. Having said that, I don't think Saban leaves Alabama for another college program. If he goes, it's because someone like Jerry Jones offers him a boatload of money and a chance to become another Jimmy Johnson.

I know he didn't say that. My question was a follow on. Don't see why Saban would particularly want to go to Texas at all (unless we assume, like some apparently are, that money is *THE* sole motivating factor in decisions like this, which I don't think is true at all).

But if you prefer, "Why does the NCAA need Saban at Texas"? I don't see any particular logic behind that statement, either.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IF Mack Brown "retires" the genuine short list of prospects should include the following:

Dave Campo (just kidding)
Sonny Dykes (Texas blood, family knows the state and has great respect at hs level with his name)
Phil Montgomery (Baylor OC is mighty loyal to Briles but some things are too good to pass up, he is also one of Baylor's key recruiters)
Chris Petersen (I think Boise State has plateaued and he might be motivated to seek new adventures)
Bill Muschamp (is a buyout possible to lure back the man once intended to be the heir in waiting?)
Jon Gruden (exciting to play for, but can he recruit?)
Tony Levine (considering the last two UH coaches were Kevin Sumlin and Art Briles, might as well see if there's a third diamond to pinch)

Add Briles and Sumlin to the list.

I don't care if it makes bear or aggies fans mad. I don't care if there is a good, small or no shot at all that they would leave either team to be the new HC at texas...they still should be on that list.

bounce

Reaction score
I know he didn't say that. My question was a follow on. Don't see why Saban would particularly want to go to Texas at all (unless we assume, like some apparently are, that money is *THE* sole motivating factor in decisions like this, which I don't think is true at all).

But if you prefer, "Why does the NCAA need Saban at Texas"? I don't see any particular logic behind that statement, either.

Because from a business standpoint, the NCAA is more profitable when Texas is good. They're the most profitable program in the NCAA by a wide margin, and they're not that good. When Texas is good, Texas makes more money. When Texas makes more money, the NCAA makes more money. It's the same premise as the NBA needing the Lakers to be successful or MLB needing the Yankees to be successful. Stern said that his dream Finals matchup was the "Lakers vs. Lakers." I'm not saying the NCAA is going to push Saban to Texas, or will sway a decision, but they would sure be happy if he went there.

I'm not even saying Saban will leave, I'm saying that IF he decides to leave, Texas is the best situation for him. From a money standpoint, from a program standpoint, from a talent draw standpoint and from the fact that they are very close to being a dominant program. The talent is there. Talent has never been a problem. It's that the current regime has never been able to maximize the talent they have. Saban won't have to start over. All he has to do is right the ship.

DFWJC

Reaction score
No offense guys. I mean it, no offesne intended here...
But only UT fans would think a head coach would leave a legendary Alabama program that is currently drowning in National Titles to coach in Austin.
And no, money would not do it. Alabama can match it.

Also, I have an honest question:
Has a successful Texas A&M head coach ever left them to go coach at Texas?

Aikbach

Reaction score
No offense guys. I mean it, no offesne intended here...
But only UT fans would think a head coach would leave a legendary Alabama program that is currently drowning in National Titles to coach in Austin.
And no, money would not do it. Alabama can match it.

Also, I have an honest question:
Has a successful Texas A&M head coach ever left them to go coach at Texas?

A successful A&M coach, what's that? I kid, I kid.;)

Jackie Sherril, RC Slocum, Dennis Francione, Mike Sherman, Kevin Sumlin, that constitutes the last 30 years of Aggie football, which subsequently is the most successful era in the program's history so no, none has ever jumped to Austin.