Texas Longhorns and who will be the next coach

Aggie87

Reaction score
Coach Dana X. Bible was at Texas A&M from 1917 through 1928 (minus the year he took off to be a pilot in WWI), then coached at Nebraska, before coming to Texas. He won a Nat'l Championship at A&M in 1919, going undefeated and also not allowing his opponents to score a single point. He also won the SWC three times at Texas, so he was pretty successful at both schools.

As far as the last 30-40 years of football at A&M being the most successful, I'd probably agree. One of the main reasons for that is that in 1965 they finally changed their policies and made Corps of Cadets membership voluntary (as well as allowing women), and at the same time became officially an integrated school. These changes affected the makeup of the football program, which suddenly had actual athletes that didn't have to be in the Corps. Obviously that changed the caliber of athlete, in general, that was went to A&M (with obvious prior exceptions like John David Crow, Jack Pardee, Gene Stallings, etc), and the program became more successful overall. You almost have to treat them as two distincts periods for A&M, IMO.

For example, A&M and Texas have played 118 times in their history. The record is 37 wins (A&M), 76 wins (Texas), and 5 ties. Distinctly in Texas' favor.

But if you just look at the record from about 1975 as A&M really started becoming competitive for the above reasons, it's quite a different picture. In that time-frame they've played 37 games - A&M has won 19 games, Texas has won 18.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No offense guys. I mean it, no offesne intended here...
But only UT fans would think a head coach would leave a legendary Alabama program that is currently drowning in National Titles to coach in Austin.
And no, money would not do it. Alabama can match it.

Also, I have an honest question:
Has a successful Texas A&M head coach ever left them to go coach at Texas?

DFWJC,

You may be right in what you say here. Only Texas might believe they can actually do something like this.

On the money part, no. If Texas really wanted to pull out the big guns, Alabama could not match the money. There is a lot of talk that they would do whatever it took but the available funds are just not there for Alabama. If Texas really wanted to turn the screws, Bama could not not match it IMO.

Now, if you wanted to make the point that Saban would not leave for the Money, that's a different question and that may be true, I don't know.

To my knowledge, TAM has never had a successful coach leave for Texas but then, I don't know that Texas has ever been interested in a TAM coach. Even that one that went to Bama, not sure Texas was interested in him as they had DKR as HC already.

bounce

Reaction score
DFWJC,

You may be right in what you say here. Only Texas might believe they can actually do something like this.

On the money part, no. If Texas really wanted to pull out the big guns, Alabama could not match the money. There is a lot of talk that they would do whatever it took but the available funds are just not there for Alabama. If Texas really wanted to turn the screws, Bama could not not match it IMO.

Now, if you wanted to make the point that Saban would not leave for the Money, that's a different question and that may be true, I don't know.

To my knowledge, TAM has never had a successful coach leave for Texas but then, I don't know that Texas has ever been interested in a TAM coach. Even that one that went to Bama, not sure Texas was interested in him as they had DKR as HC already.

TAM has never had a successful coach on the level of Saban. Sumlin was successful last year, sure - but that's not much of a track record in major competition. And like you said, Texas could outspend any University in the country three-fold, if they want to. And I feel sure that repairing the program is enough to make them want to open the checkbook.

But, its going to be a sought after job. I know people (Aggie) won't want to admit it, but Texas is just about the premiere college coaching job in the country. Even when they're down, they're still a cash cow. It's essentially Duke basketball for football.

If not Saban, I'd like for them to go back after Muschamp. Briles or Miles are other possibilities, or if they decide to go with an "up and comer" then someone like Kirby Smart could be an option. Again, I"m not saying Saban WILL leave, but I think Texas is the only thing that could pull him away from Alabama.

Aggie87

Reaction score
But, its going to be a sought after job. I know people (Aggie) won't want to admit it, but Texas is just about the premiere college coaching job in the country. Even when they're down, they're still a cash cow. It's essentially Duke basketball for football.

I've never said it wasn't a premiere coaching job. I just don't believe it's enticing to Nick Saban. The only argument I see is that Texas would throw enough money at him to sway him. I don't think that's what drives Saban. Not at this point in his life...if ever. There's nothing else about the Texas job that he would necessarily desire, either, and that he doesn't already have in spades at Alabama.

bounce

Reaction score
I've never said it wasn't a premiere coaching job. I just don't believe it's enticing to Nick Saban. The only argument I see is that Texas would throw enough money at him to sway him. I don't think that's what drives Saban. Not at this point in his life...if ever. There's nothing else about the Texas job that he would necessarily desire, either, and that he doesn't already have in spades at Alabama.

I don't disagree. The only thing I could see is the 'challenge' of taking a third program to a BCS title. He could stay and rack them up in Bama, or take over a new program and solidify his position as the best ever...if he's not already there.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Well, not saying your are wrong about Saban coming to Texas but I will say that you are dead wrong about the money. Saban has gone for the money at every turn.

He was at LSU, won championships, had it made in the SEC and he left for the money. He was at Miami, the job he left LSU for. Perfect weather, unbelievably beautiful and he left for more Money to Alabama.

Saban, in the past, has always been about the Money IMO.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Hey, tech plugged on former qb kingsbury, UT should try chris simms.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
mike-leach-mack-brown.jpg

L-R: The new University of Texas head football coach, is shown around by the new University of Texas Athletic Director.

:D

DFWJC

Reaction score
Does someone have available where Texas was revenue-wsie before mack brown got there.
I know the escalation was of historic proportions, but I not sure how it was relative to other national programs.

I think, if I'm not mistaken, Texas and Ohio State's overall atheltic programs have been running 1-2 for awhile now.
I bet someone here has that data.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Forbes calculated the top revnue generators in Football only:
Texas--133 mil
Michigan--120
Notre Dame--103
LSU--102
Georgia--99
Alabama--95
Florida--93
etc
They all have profit margins running from 50-60%

So if any of them wanted to be stupid and pay a coach 10 mil a year, they could.

bounce

Reaction score
Forbes calculated the top revnue generators in Football only:
Texas--133 mil
Michigan--120
Notre Dame--103
LSU--102
Georgia--99
Alabama--95
Florida--93
etc
They all have profit margins running from 50-60%

So if any of them wanted to be stupid and pay a coach 10 mil a year, they could.

Any idea where the numbers go when you include the rest of the athletics? I think that's what always pushed Texas way apart.

Edit -- nevermind, a quick search took me here. All stays pretty relative.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

Aikbach

Reaction score
I think leach likes being on the coast. Really can't see his personality fitting the UT culture either.