Texas Longhorns and who will be the next coach

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Leach I can see. Leach really is half crazy, plus he absolutely hated the backslapping/fundraising. Lots of schools wouldn't want Leach.

Malzahn is nothing like him. I doubt you could find one Auburn fan or administrator who believes Malzahn has hurt the school's image in any way.

Lubbock Texas and Texas Tech are FAR FAR FAR more conservative than Austin or UT.
Leach's issue has been his desire to be an outsider and oddball.
He strives for that. He likes being a rebel and he despises authority.

Tech didn't get rid of him lightly though.
They did so largely because of salary.
They felt he strong-armed them into a VERY high salary for the school.

And the fan base absolutely hated the administration for firing Leach.
The Church-going tee-totalers who are card-carrying tea party members LOVED that guy.
Hiring Kliff was as much about bringing back Leach supporters as it was grabbing a youthful exuberant coach.

Leach would/could have been a very successful Coach at UT.
But that was a lot for the rich Regents to swallow.

Malzahn? Not at all. He's a traditional Southern white guy who's won big with offenses that excite the masses and his star is certainly ascending.
He'd jump on this job and he'd LIVE it. As Kristie mentioned the guy does 16-18 hour days in the office.

I think Mack is DONE. When Campbell calls for your head you can say Goodbye.
And I'd say odds are 40/40 right now between Saban(his job on his terms if he wants it obviously) and Malzahn with the rest of the world totaling 20%.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Thanks for snide personal comment about being an Aggie. I won't get into name calling in response. Only trying to understand what you're saying, which still doesn't mean anything. In your follow-up post it seems you're LITERALLY saying Saban could eventually become President now if he accepts the head coaching job at Texas.

How many former UT head coaches have become U.S. Presidents?

You're looking at the issue from UT's standpoint, not Nick Saban's. UT (and ESPN and it's silly Longhorn Network that is doomed to failure because it will never be anything more than a regional interest channel for one school, not national and not for a conference) is desperate to get back on the national stage and be a top 10 team again. Got it. I agree with that.

But you offer no perspective from Saban's view, other than they'll offer him alot of money. And the chance to become U.S. President. LOL.

As I said earlier, the only incentive for Saban would be to try to win a nat'l championship with a 3rd program. Other than that, there really is none. If that doesn't drive him, then he's better off staying at Alabama and being loved for all-time there.

I do agree with your points about Mack Brown in general, but that's about it.

If Red Raiders, Aggies and Longhorns can't goad each other then forums are useless. I have never known Aggies to be so sensitive.

As to the rest. No, I am looking at it from MY perspective. Not UT's or Saban's because they didn't share their perspective with me.
Mine.
Saban is a living legend wherever he goes.
He's not getting any bigger in Alabama than he already is.

He can stay there and face the toughest road to National Championships that exist via the SEC East OR he can move to the Big 12 and own one of the most powerful states in the union and the producer of insane amounts of football talent.
At UT he has a VERY LARGE say in what the ENTIRE conference does.

And if you think the Longhorn network is failing if they hire Saban you are just lying to yourself.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yes. I know what you are getting at.

If I am a Longhorn network director and UT hired Malzahn, Kristie has a regular weekly reality show day 1.

I kid you not. She's as crazy as (and more entertaining than) a Kardashian and with her husband working around the clock she has the free time.