Texas Longhorns Football Thread 2.0

joseephuss

Reaction score
Listening to local sports radio here in Austin. They have mentioned several times now that Greg McElroy is slated to start for the Jet there are now 9 guys starting in the NFL from the state of Texas and none were recruited by UT.

DFWJC

Reaction score
joseephuss;4909085 said:
Listening to local sports radio here in Austin. They have mentioned several times now that Greg McElroy is slated to start for the Jet there are now 9 guys starting in the NFL from the state of Texas and none were recruited by UT.
Nine.
That's amazing.

The Horns did have two pretty good Texas boys back-to-back in Young and McCoy.

I'm amazed they didn't recruit Stafford, if that's true.
Was that the same period when they were going after Jevon Snead?

MC KAos

Reaction score
DFWJC;4909388 said:
Nine.
That's amazing.

The Horns did have to pretty good Texas boys back-to-back in Young and McCoy.

I'm amazed they didn't recruit Stafford, if that's true.
Was that the same period when they were going after Jevon Snead?

Sigh, let's not forget Andrew luck and drew brees

DFWJC

Reaction score
MC KAos;4909394 said:
Sigh, let's not forget Andrew luck and drew brees, who would have been great to have sandwiching Vince and colt!
How amazing would have that been?!
Brees, I can understand. He was considered short my most big schools, but it sure has never been an issue.
I thought Luck just wanted to go to the "West Coast Ivy", and that he had basically let it be known that he was not staying in Texas. I may be wrong but was thinking he had no texas schools even on his list.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
Texas also had Applewhite at the time Brees was coming out and picked up Simms later. I don't know that Brees would have seen the field if Texas recruited him.

rkell87

Reaction score
Z'darius Smith sent his paperwork into Kentucky this morning. Was being reported that he was down to A&M/MSST but Kentucky hired his JUCO D-Line coach for the same position and he followed. A&M signed JUCO LB Tommy Sanders with there last JUCO mid-term spot bringing that total to 9 early commits who count back to 2012.

That puts our total at 25 commits with 2 or 3 not expecting to make it in (2 grade risks and 1 MLB draft). Current targets A&M is still pursuing are LB Isaac Savaiinaea, CB Mackensie Alexander , WR Stacy Coley, WR Sebastian Larue and a couple others.

rkell87

Reaction score
Former Texas signee, DT Quincy Russell of San Antonio Sam Houston, has committed to Oklahoma.

Texas has not given up on JUCO S Shaq Fluker even though he decided to skip UT's annual team banquet. Because Georgia is also recruiting another JUCO safety and Fluker may not be able to enroll at UGA for the spring semester, Texas wants to be there in case he wants/needs another option.

rkell87

Reaction score
Rumor out there that WR Thomas Johnson has withdrawn from Texas A&M.

rkell87

Reaction score
According to Rivals all 6 JUCO commits Texas Tech had, signed with Cincinnati today.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
rkell87;4909657 said:
Rumor out there that WR Thomas Johnson has withdrawn from Texas A&M.

Sumlin said he withdrew a month ago and his future is uncertain. He played well for the Aggies, I hope he figures his life out and has a successful career with whatever he decides.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
:laugh2: As soon as I knew Texas would be matched up with a Pac-12 team, Mack would get another win to pad his bowl record.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Fun game to watch... Ash played really well...

Okafor may have moved himself into early second round/late first...

jimmy40

Reaction score
trickblue;4925702 said:

I can't believe Oregon st never gave #64 any help blocking

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
trickblue;4925702 said:

ash looked like romo on that td throw to gray..

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
i cant believe OSU rarely got called, if at all, for offensive holding. Not only that, but there were a few PI calls that were not called, 2 defensive and 1 offensive.

Texas played sloppy, and aside from one really bogus holding call, they deserved the rest of their flags......but OSU was getting away with several penalties.

The playcalling was upsetting me. First, we kept forcing the run when there was nothing at all to come of it. We were moving at a snails pace, which put our offense completely out of sync. When we did pass, aside from a few passes, everything was within 5 yds of the LOS....when we needed yardage for the 1st, our passes were 4-5 yds short of the marker every time.

Then, all of a sudden, we speed up the pace and pass more......we have success.....I hope Applewhite can take this and run with it next year. Fast paced offense early and often. Keep the defense on its heels and wear it out. Then, once the defense is exhausted, pound them with a fresh running game.

Okafor was a beast tonight. It was great to watch him play this well in his final game. Vacarro showed why I want him, but also why I don't want him. He was sideline to sideline making plays in coverage and run support. However, he also had that boneheaded 15 yd unsportsmanlike penalty. His biggest negative is that he seems to lose his cool and commit these types of penalties far too often.

I was very happy for Goodwin. I believe he can be a very nice late round steal for some NFL team who wants a versatile speedster. I doubt he will ever be a superstar, but he can be a solid 3rd or 4th WR for several years.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Biggems;4925867 said:
i cant believe OSU rarely got called, if at all, for offensive holding. Not only that, but there were a few PI calls that were not called, 2 defensive and 1 offensive.

Texas played sloppy, and aside from one really bogus holding call, they deserved the rest of their flags......but OSU was getting away with several penalties.

The playcalling was upsetting me. First, we kept forcing the run when there was nothing at all to come of it. We were moving at a snails pace, which put our offense completely out of sync. When we did pass, aside from a few passes, everything was within 5 yds of the LOS....when we needed yardage for the 1st, our passes were 4-5 yds short of the marker every time.

Then, all of a sudden, we speed up the pace and pass more......we have success.....I hope Applewhite can take this and run with it next year. Fast paced offense early and often. Keep the defense on its heels and wear it out. Then, once the defense is exhausted, pound them with a fresh running game.

Okafor was a beast tonight. It was great to watch him play this well in his final game. Vacarro showed why I want him, but also why I don't want him. He was sideline to sideline making plays in coverage and run support. However, he also had that boneheaded 15 yd unsportsmanlike penalty. His biggest negative is that he seems to lose his cool and commit these types of penalties far too often.

I was very happy for Goodwin. I believe he can be a very nice late round steal for some NFL team who wants a versatile speedster. I doubt he will ever be a superstar, but he can be a solid 3rd or 4th WR for several years.
Why do fans only see the other team's offensive line hold? Is it because when their team is on offense they only watch the ball? Cowboys/Longhorns Olines hold worse than any teams they play.