Texas Longhorns Football Thread 2.0

rkell87

Reaction score
DFWJC;4894850 said:
Not a huge loss, imo.
Agree?

normally no but we have zero at the TE position and haven't been able to get true TEs to come to texas. He was already like the third or forth choice for this class

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
rkell87;4894873 said:
normally no but we have zero at the TE position and haven't been able to get true TEs to come to texas. He was already like the third or forth choice for this class

If we threw more to the TEs, we would probably recruit them better. Sad thing is, Major would probably throw more to the TEs.

DFWJC

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4894897 said:
If we threw more to the TEs, we would probably recruit them better. Sad thing is, Major would probably throw more to the TEs.
I'm excited about Applewhite calling the plays.
I think the guy has some Sean Peyton in him. And yes, that would mean having an aggressive game plan that makes great use of the TE.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Here is what Swaim said when asked about Harsin's decision to take the ArkSt..............

Geoff Swaim, who will enroll at Texas in January. Swaim confirmed on Wednesday afternoon that he plans to stick with his UT pledge.

"It (the Harsin news) was a surprise but I'm still there," Swaim said. "As long as they are still with me I'm with them."

I guess it aint all bad boys......

rkell87

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4894897 said:

cache 22, if we had TEs that were worth a damn we might throw to them more

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
rkell87;4894951 said:
cache 22, if we had TEs that were worth a damn we might throw to them more

Maybe. Hard to say but if you are a recruit, you don't look at it that way. You only see that the TE is not a big part of the offense and you go where you hope you can be noticed.

rkell87

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4894959 said:
Maybe. Hard to say but if you are a recruit, you don't look at it that way. You only see that the TE is not a big part of the offense and you go where you hope you can be noticed.

true but you sell to them that you want to move to using the TE more and early playing time cause they are better than what we have. We got malcom brown(RB) and gray by promising to run the ball more, same with some of the OL recruits, and we flipped daje last minute by developing a package just for him and DJ monroe

Zordon

Reaction score
DFWJC;4894850 said:
Not a huge loss, imo.
Agree?
tight end position has been dead here since jermichael finley. smythe is a receiving threat.

MC KAos

Reaction score
This is starting to get concerning, coordinators taking other jobs, players decommiting, what the hell is going on?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
rkell87;4894971 said:
true but you sell to them that you want to move to using the TE more and early playing time cause they are better than what we have. We got malcom brown(RB) and gray by promising to run the ball more, same with some of the OL recruits, and we flipped daje last minute by developing a package just for him and DJ monroe

I understand the sell but if your one of the top recruits in the country at your position, which Smyth is, and it was a close decision between Texas and Stanford, which it was, it's a no brainer. Smyth was sold in exactly that way originally but now the guy who sold him is gone and the decision is to commit to a school that has questions surrounding the offense or go to Stanford, a proven Offensive School that is putting TEs in the NFL (Fleener) and is one of the top Academic Institutions in the Country.

I mean, I can completely understand this decision. The kid would be foolish not to open his recruiting up again under the circumstances IMO.

rkell87

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4895912 said:
I understand the sell but if your one of the top recruits in the country at your position, which Smyth is, and it was a close decision between Texas and Stanford, which it was, it's a no brainer. Smyth was sold in exactly that way originally but now the guy who sold him is gone and the decision is to commit to a school that has questions surrounding the offense or go to Stanford, a proven Offensive School that is putting TEs in the NFL (Fleener) and is one of the top Academic Institutions in the Country.

I mean, I can completely understand this decision. The kid would be foolish not to open his recruiting up again under the circumstances IMO.

yeah I get why he decommitted, I meant recruiting that position in general, this will be year 4 we haven't had anybody coming in worth getting hopeful about at that position.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
rkell87;4896127 said:
yeah I get why he decommitted, I meant recruiting that position in general, this will be year 4 we haven't had anybody coming in worth getting hopeful about at that position.

Yep, sucks.

rkell87

Reaction score
Hutchinson LB/DE De'Vondre Campbell commits to #Texas...

247 confirms as wel

rkell87

Reaction score
i'll post this here too

24/7 confirmed that Diaz interviewed with Florida International yesterday. He's now back in Austin.

Florida International is taking things slow for the time being. It's said that their target date for making their new hire is around the time all of the media is in Miami for the Orange Bowl. Another reason for the wait is FIU attempting to kill two birds with one stone. Butch Davis, the former North Carolina head coach, is said to be their main target. Because North Carolina still owes Davis money and FIU now owes Mario Cristobal who they just fired, they're looking for a middle ground on a new contract that works for both parties. Diaz appears to be a strong runner-up being a young, Cuban, charismatic guy and the son of the former mayor of Miami. As of now, he will be the defensive coordinator for UT in the Alamo Bowl.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
News flash!

Oklahoma uses the TE

Hello Jermaine Gresham Hello James Hanna :cool:

Just sayin...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Dallas;4908199 said:
News flash!

Oklahoma uses the TE

Hello Jermaine Gresham Hello James Hanna :cool:

Just sayin...

News Flash!

James Hanna, 54 catches in 4 years. Not so much.

Gresham I'll give you but that was really only one year, 66 catches in 2008. If you want to say that Sam Bradford used the TE, I would agree with that but 2008 was a long time ago and Bradford is long gone.

Just Sayin.

MC KAos

Reaction score
rkell87;4908165 said:
i'll post this here too

24/7 confirmed that Diaz interviewed with Florida International yesterday. He's now back in Austin.

Florida International is taking things slow for the time being. It's said that their target date for making their new hire is around the time all of the media is in Miami for the Orange Bowl. Another reason for the wait is FIU attempting to kill two birds with one stone. Butch Davis, the former North Carolina head coach, is said to be their main target. Because North Carolina still owes Davis money and FIU now owes Mario Cristobal who they just fired, they're looking for a middle ground on a new contract that works for both parties. Diaz appears to be a strong runner-up being a young, Cuban, charismatic guy and the son of the former mayor of Miami. As of now, he will be the defensive coordinator for UT in the Alamo Bowl.

*fingers crossed*

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4908690 said:
News Flash!

James Hanna, 54 catches in 4 years. Not so much.

Gresham I'll give you but that was really only one year, 66 catches in 2008. If you want to say that Sam Bradford used the TE, I would agree with that but 2008 was a long time ago and Bradford is long gone.

Just Sayin.

They still use the TE much more than Tejas, which was my entire point all together. How many catches has your TE's made over the past few?

Just sayin....

jimmy40

Reaction score
Dallas;4908813 said:
They still use the TE much more than Tejas, which was my entire point all together. How many catches has your TE's made over the past few?

Just sayin....
Just guessing but I'd say caught 30 dropped 40?