Texas losing big to BYU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I disagree. He would be an unknown. He has no experience at a program with the size and importance and constant championship expectations of Texas. Yes, he had a good year at A&M with a Heisman Trophy QB playing for him. That doesn't mean he can make Texas national champions.

Don't get me wrong.... Texas may ultimately be going with a rising coach just like Sumlin. But they would much rather have Saban, no doubt about it.

Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion and it my be that yours is the correct one. However, I would not view Sumlin as unproven or inexperienced. He doesn't have the same experience as Saban, per say, but to me, that doesn't mean that he is inexperienced. I will also tell you that Sumlin's name is getting mentioned in the NFL as well. Will be interesting to see what happens with him.

As far as rather having Saban, I still am very skeptical of that. It's true that there are some who might want that but there are a great many who do not as well. This is going to get messy.

Aggie87

Reaction score
If UT wants Sumlin they can get him. It'll just take 10-12m a year. That a 300-400% raise. But UT gets to steal ATM's guy.

The Saban stuff is just untrue. 1st, he'll never be Bear Bryant. 2nd, he could easily earn the same accolades at UT.
And again the difference is really just where you live.
Gene Stallings was wildly popular in Bama but he retired to a ranch in Texas.

Saban could spend 4 years in Austin, make 50m and walk off to a beautiful ranch ion the Hill Country.
That's light years more appealing to most than anything in Alabama.

I still disagree that Sumlin would take a job at UT. Money is not the end-all, be-all. That's not enough incentive for him to bring his style of football to the Big12 and be just like everyone else there. He's far better off in the SEC, with the recruiting advantages that gives him. I'll bet you he's well aware of that.

And Saban will be a legend at Alabama, though you're right, nobody will be Bear Bryant, with his 6 national championships. But Saban's got 4 currently, and certainly a good chance of getting another this year. What will make him "not equal" to Bryant in your eyes? It's VERY possible he gets 6 national championships before he hangs it up.

And don't sell the Alabama countryside short. The area around Tuscaloosa is every bit as beautiful as the Hill Country, and more lush. The reason Stallings probably retired in Texas is because he's from Texas; Saban isn't. He's from WV, and owns a vacation home in Georgia. I doubt he retires in Texas, regardless of whatever comes of his future coaching plans.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I still disagree that Sumlin would take a job at UT. Money is not the end-all, be-all. That's not enough incentive for him to bring his style of football to the Big12 and be just like everyone else there. He's far better off in the SEC, with the recruiting advantages that gives him. I'll bet you he's well aware of that.

And Saban will be a legend at Alabama, though you're right, nobody will be Bear Bryant, with his 6 national championships. But Saban's got 4 currently, and certainly a good chance of getting another this year. What will make him "not equal" to Bryant in your eyes? It's VERY possible he gets 6 national championships before he hangs it up.

And don't sell the Alabama countryside short. The area around Tuscaloosa is every bit as beautiful as the Hill Country, and more lush. The reason Stallings probably retired in Texas is because he's from Texas; Saban isn't. He's from WV, and owns a vacation home in Georgia. I doubt he retires in Texas, regardless of whatever comes of his future coaching plans.

Nobody is saying Sumlin would. In fact, I specifically said, "as example, does not mean that Sumlin would".

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
My response was to jterrill's comment that if UT wanted Sumlin they could simply throw money at him and get him (and steal him away from A&M at the same time). I disagreed with that.

Also - here's a well written article from SI.com that argues that Saban would not leave Alabama for Texas, too.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...30920/nick-saban-alabama-texas/?sct=cf_t13_a2

Well, I think it would be interesting to see what would happen there. Texas is capable of throwing more money at a Coach, by a fairly substantial margin then anybody else in the country so I do think that JT has a point. Would it be enough or would Sumlin consider it? That I can not say. I don't know if money would be more important then other factors. However, I think that's always a threat. The same goes for Saban. I don't believe he would come and I think it would be a bad move for Texas to do it because he is older and chances are, he will not coach much longer but same goes for Saban basically. If they offered him ungodly amounts of money, would he go?

The other side of that is, would Mack step down? I don't think he would. I think they would have to buy him out and that contract runs through something like 2020. At 5Mil+ a year, that's a lot of vidals.

Last edited:

Aikbach

Reaction score
I think Sumlin, Briles, and Saban are all staying right where they are.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, I think it would be interesting to see what would happen there. Texas is capable of throwing more money at a Coach, by a fairly substantial margin then anybody else in the country so I do think that JT has a point. Would it be enough or would Sumlin consider it? That I can not say. I don't know if money would be more important then other factors. However, I think that's always a threat. The same goes for Saban. I don't believe he would come and I think it would be a bad move for Texas to do it because he is older and chances are, he will not coach much longer but same goes for Saban basically. If they offered him ungodly amounts of money, would he go?

The other side of that is, would Mack step down? I don't think he would. I think they would have to buy him out and that contract runs through something like 2020. At 5Mil+ a year, that's a lot of vidals.

Edit:

Actually, I think that after 2013, Mack's buyout on his existing contract is only 2.75 Million or some such. That might make it way easier for Texas to get something done if they decided to move on.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think Sumlin, Briles, and Saban are all staying right where they are.

I think Briles and Saban are. I would not be so sure of Sumlin.

Lots of interest in NFL circles for Sumlin, or so they say.

Last edited:

jimmy40

Reaction score
Nobody is saying Sumlin would. In fact, I specifically said, "as example, does not mean that Sumlin would".

What exactly has Sumlin done to be so great? He had Briles' team at Houston. He inherited how many NFL offensive lineman at a&m? Manziel falls into his lap. How good is that offense without Manziel making gold out of piles of ****? Seems like the best thing he's done is not suspend Manziel for the year for the racial fight/fake ID arrest at Northgate and impress the hell out of recruits by flying into Sealy on the helicopter (which was freaking genius I have to admit). Sumlin may turn into the second coming of Lombardi but he has just flat out just stumbled into gold mines so far.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

These Coaches coach to get paid and make a living. Money is pretty high on the list of their priorities.

Sumlin's offense and recruiting work even better at UT as part of the Big 12 than they do in the SEC.
The ONLY reason for Sumlin to stay at TAMU is to prove he can win without Johnny Football as his QB.
And what if he can't?
Playing LSU and Bama every year is a very real hurdle.
What if this is the best Sumlin can do there?
Could he not win NC at UT with 5 star recruits playign a Big 12 schedule?

As to the living situation... one place is in Alabama which ranks about last in every major category for states and the other is in the prettiest part of Texas.
Last I checked Tuscaloosa wasn't built in a mountain range and wasn't less than 3 hours from major cities.

I get it, your an Aggie. But Sumlin would leave in the blink of an eye for the right offer. Anyone would.

Sumlin is more susceptible to this than most because he hasn't been a big-time well paid coach for long. 10m a year would be his career earnings up to this point in one season. And he knows he'd get a minimum of 4 years at UT so that's 40 million!!! Thinking he'd ignore that offhand is rather silly.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
I think they took the horns off of ABC tonight vs Kansas State.. at least here they did

Aggie87

Reaction score
These Coaches coach to get paid and make a living. Money is pretty high on the list of their priorities.

Sumlin's offense and recruiting work even better at UT as part of the Big 12 than they do in the SEC.
The ONLY reason for Sumlin to stay at TAMU is to prove he can win without Johnny Football as his QB.
And what if he can't?

As to the living situation... one place is in Alabama which ranks about last in every major category for states and the other is in the prettiest part of Texas.
Last I checked Tuscaloosa wasn't built in a mountain range and wasn't less than 3 hours from major cities.

I get it, your an Aggie. But Sumlin would leave in the blink of an eye for the right offer. Anyone would.

Sumlin is more susceptible to this than most because he hasn't been a big-time well paid coach for long. 10m a year would be his career earnings up to this point in one season. And he knows he'd get a minimum of 4 years at UT so that's 40 million!!! Thinking he'd ignore that offhand is rather silly.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I can see Sumlin tempted by the NFL, and eventually ending up there. But there's absolutely no reason to go to UT and the Big 12.

I don't agree that his offense and recruiting work better in the Big 12. It's "different" and that's one of the reasons it's successful in the SEC. That and Johnny Football being not your normal quarterback. In the Big 12 it's a normal offense that everyone else plays. There's no reason that Sumlin would stand out in the Big 12, from a recruiting standpoint or a style standpoint.

You can bet Sumlin knows that, even if he doesn't give it a whole lot of thought. He's in the best overall football conference in the country, and the Aggies will counter any monetary offer he gets from UT or anyone else in college ball.

I agree with you that the Hill Country is beautiful. My family has property near Wimberley and I spend time there. I love it. But I've also driven through northern Alabama many times. The countryside is beautiful there. If you haven't been there you're just buying into stereotypes about Alabama in general.

Being an Aggie has nothing to do with it. If I were a fanatic I'd be more concerned about Sumlin leaving for the NFL. That may happen at some point anyway. But I don't see him going anywhere else in college - he's got the best possible situation for a number of reasons, right where he's at.
The UT philosophy of throwing money at something until it gives in to your will doesn't make sense in this case.

Rogah

Reaction score
Edit:

Actually, I think that after 2013, Mack's buyout on his existing contract is only 2.75 Million or some such. That might make it way easier for Texas to get something done if they decided to move on.
I think their decision will be based on who is available. I don't see money being a factor. They got this brand new shiny network that no one is watching. I heard somewhere (I can't remember where, heck it may have been in this thread) that the morning after the BYU game, LHN was supposed to rebroadcast the game but instead went with women's volleyball.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Nothing to do with coaching or football... But although I've never been to Tuscaloosa itself, I think Alabama is far prettier than the hill country. Played the RTJ golf trail there and it was amazing.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Nothing to do with coaching or football... But although I've never been to Tuscaloosa itself, I think Alabama is far prettier than the hill country. Played the RTJ golf trail there and it was amazing.

sorry but no sale for me:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tex...IDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDgQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=976&dpr=1

When I drive through Alabama I largely think of abject poverty. The roads are in terrible states of care and everything seems to be falling apart.
This site has ranks states on various measures:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100016697
Texas is 1st overall. Great economy, infrastructure, cost of living and technology.
Bama way down list.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Alabama is very much like Arkansas to me. Very pretty in spots but Texas is a better place to live. I like the states with a lot of forests & country. I have none of that in the ATL!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

And what if he can't?

I think that what JT says here does have a thread of truth to it. This is not to say that Sumlin would jump to Texas because, while they could pay him more, the bigger threat to ATM is the NFL IMO. His reputation is growing as a potential HC in the NFL. There are teams, as has been rumored, who have possible interest in him. I think that's the bigger threat to ATM with regards to Sumlin.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think their decision will be based on who is available. I don't see money being a factor. They got this brand new shiny network that no one is watching. I heard somewhere (I can't remember where, heck it may have been in this thread) that the morning after the BYU game, LHN was supposed to rebroadcast the game but instead went with women's volleyball.

The problem with the Network is not that there is no interest. Heck, my Wife would buy it no matter what the cost was today, but we can't. Here, we can't get LHN because we are Comcast and they don't have it. I think once that is resolved, it will be fine. The problem with Texas is not the LHN, it's tackling and defensive execution.

I agree that their decision will be based on who's available but Texas is not going to go out and give somebody a 20 Million Signing Bonus and a 10 Million Dollar a year 5 year contract with option for somebody who might end up gone in 3 years. That's bad business and Texas is not about making bad Business decisions. If they went after a Saban or the like, they would demand that he be there for an extended period of time. Otherwise, they don't get their money's worth on the deal. That's not Texas and I just don't see a Coach like Saban being worth his word on something like that. That's just my opinion of course.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Alabama is very much like Arkansas to me. Very pretty in spots but Texas is a better place to live. I like the states with a lot of forests & country. I have none of that in the ATL!

What ATL has though is a great infrastructure and technology and culture base.
You can like actually do things like shop, go see pro sports, concerts and other events.

In much of the deep south Target is about as upscale as it gets for shopping and fine dining is quite tasty but outside New Orleans lacks any subtle flair or variety.
Tons of fried catfish and chicken though.
The problem with the Network is not that there is no interest. Heck, my Wife would buy it no matter what the cost was today, but we can't. Here, we can't get LHN because we are Comcast and they don't have it. I think once that is resolved, it will be fine. The problem with Texas is not the LHN, it's tackling and defensive execution.

I agree that their decision will be based on who's available but Texas is not going to go out and give somebody a 20 Million Signing Bonus and a 10 Million Dollar a year 5 year contract with option for somebody who might end up gone in 3 years. That's bad business and Texas is not about making bad Business decisions. If they went after a Saban or the like, they would demand that he be there for an extended period of time. Otherwise, they don't get their money's worth on the deal. That's not Texas and I just don't see a Coach like Saban being worth his word on something like that. That's just my opinion of course.

I don't think this is accurate.
A title can earn Texas up to 50m in ONE SEASON. The increased revenu in the last title season was actually well over 50m and very probably got them the LHN.

Whatever they pay a coach if he wins 1 TITLE he makes that worthwhile.
The reason they have already been checking Saban's pulse is he is the closest guarantee to winning a title.
Plus the Big 12 plays everyone once with NO Title game something Saban is interested in.

Texas with Saban can go 7-5 this year but hire him and be top 5 next year pre-season.

Texas doesn't need Saban for 10 years. They need him for 4. He'd give them the best game day coach they've had since the 60s and he'd bring in the top class in the country next year without even bothering to Ole Miss(buy) people. He'd set up the program so any of the top guys could walk in and run it. you'd gett he young coach you want but one that was given a chance to succeed. That's not really the case right now. The talent is overhyped, soft and needs a very real kick in the pants. Saban is the guy for that.

Chris Simms said he felt UT often was too easygoing and lackadaisical until they'd get beat by OU then they'd start really playing football. He basically said Mack runs a soft crew.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
What ATL has though is a great infrastructure and technology and culture base.
You can like actually do things like shop, go see pro sports, concerts and other events.

In much of the deep south Target is about as upscale as it gets for shopping and fine dining is quite tasty but outside New Orleans lacks any subtle flair or variety.
Tons of fried catfish and chicken though.

I don't think this is accurate.
A title can earn Texas up to 50m in ONE SEASON. The increased revenu in the last title season was actually well over 50m and very probably got them the LHN.

Whatever they pay a coach if he wins 1 TITLE he makes that worthwhile.
The reason they have already been checking Saban's pulse is he is the closest guarantee to winning a title.
Plus the Big 12 plays everyone once with NO Title game something Saban is interested in.

Texas with Saban can go 7-5 this year but hire him and be top 5 next year pre-season.

Texas doesn't need Saban for 10 years. They need him for 4. He'd give them the best game day coach they've had since the 60s and he'd bring in the top class in the country next year without even bothering to Ole Miss(buy) people. He'd set up the program so any of the top guys could walk in and run it. you'd gett he young coach you want but one that was given a chance to succeed. That's not really the case right now. The talent is overhyped, soft and needs a very real kick in the pants. Saban is the guy for that.

Chris Simms said he felt UT often was too easygoing and lackadaisical until they'd get beat by OU then they'd start really playing football. He basically said Mack runs a soft crew.

I've heard this for years. Perhaps it's true but I can not say with any specificity. I haven't been to a Texas Camp in well over 30 years.

Spending 50 to make 50 is not a wise use of money though, and the expenditure of 50K would probably be done in less then 4 years if it were Saban. Lets say 20 up front and 10 annually, that's 3 years so I don't know. Can Saban win a few Championships in Austin? Perhaps but that's not a given.

The one thing that I do see Texas reaching for is the ability to be in the final 4 in that first year. That's very near and dear to this program. That would be the one reason I could see them going that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.