Texas Rangers 2013 Thread

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rangers had a good season.

Suffered tons of injuries early then the Cruz ban and still went 20 games over .500.
Good overall job of keeping it together and maximizing a fairly built club.
Didn't sacrifice the minor league studs to get this far. Good job of managing resources and maximizing results.

This team wasn't set up to win this year. This is a team with lots of great youth and lots of resources left unspent.

Rangers fans have grown to take 90 wins for granted which says a lot for how well this club is run.

Look for another solid international addition; (boy how good would the Cuban 1B look here?) and another 90 win type team next season.

Coming back with Darvish, Perez, Holland et al is a nice place to be. Ogando/Tep as long man. Who knows if Nefti gets it back but if he does what a good 8th inning man that could grow into shutdown closer. I'd flip Kinsler for an overpaid but quality hitting outfielder if I could.

There's a lot of truth there.

To me it's too early to project where any club is going to end up at the end of the '14 season.

I just don't see the Halo's being as bad next season as they were this season.

And the Astros... Those poor Astros... Can only be headed up. When you have 8 of the top 81 prospects (per one source) and when your minor league teams have the best overall combined record in all of baseball... That talent will start to make itself felt.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
The Rangers did NOT have that good of a season. All they did was beat up on the Astros and Angels, and sucked against everyone else.

They need at least two more bats, and two starting pitchers (colby lewis is done). Joe Nathan is likely gone.

Need to fill three glaring holes in the lineup. Hopefully JD can pry a big bat loose via trade.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
The Rangers did NOT have that good of a season. All they did was beat up on the Astros and Angels, and sucked against everyone else.

They need at least two more bats, and two starting pitchers (colby lewis is done). Joe Nathan is likely gone.

Need to fill three glaring holes in the lineup. Hopefully JD can pry a big bat loose via trade.

We need a 1-2 punch in the rotation. Darvish and Holland doesn't cut it. Who is available this year?

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
We need a 1-2 punch in the rotation. Darvish and Holland doesn't cut it. Who is available this year?

David Price will more than likely be available via trade - but....

...the problem with this team is offense. The pitching if its healthy is good enough. This lineup, however, is not.

Kristen82

Reaction score
David Price will more than likely be available via trade - but....

...the problem with this team is offense. The pitching if its healthy is good enough. This lineup, however, is not.

Price would probably cost us Perez and Profar, and I think Perez is a TORP-in-waiting so no way.

I have no idea why JD thought signing a broken-down Berkman was a good idea. He belongs in a hospice.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Rangers do not need another starter.

They have Darvish/Holland/Perez/Harrison locked in.
5th starter of Ogando/Lewis/Tepesch or some other vet spare is fine.

They do need a couple bats and to do some growing up with Profar/Andrus.

1st base needs to provide some offense.

I'd love to sign the Cuban 1st baseman or the Chin Soo guy.
But the team largely needs some better health amongst it's pitchers.

As to the Astros: Yes a great farm system is how you start to build.
Question is when do they spend money to put vets around those kids or do they wait til the kids start costing a fortune to keep.

Likely need to trade Kinsler and start Profar at 2nd base for financial reasons.
Let Garza walk and lose Nathan as well.

Leaves room for a solid bat plus whatever you can get for Kinsler.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Most teams who had the starting pitcher injuries the Rangers did would have been 20 games under .500 and selling off parts.
Everything has perspective.

joseephuss

Reaction score
That loss to the Astros to start the season came back to haunt them. Win that game and they don't have to participate in a play-in game to be in the playoffs.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That loss to the Astros to start the season came back to haunt them. Win that game and they don't have to participate in a play-in game to be in the playoffs.

LOL!

My gosh they beat the 'Stros 17 out of 19 times. If the Rangers couldn't get in the playoffs with that record, then they didn't deserve to be in.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As to the Astros: Yes a great farm system is how you start to build.
Question is when do they spend money to put vets around those kids or do they wait til the kids start costing a fortune to keep.

From what I hear they are going to be somewhat active this coming free agent season... Certainly not for the high-priced guys, but even a couple less expensive relief guys would make a difference. The Astro's relief corps was beyond awful.

I'm not looking for a .500 team next season... but an improvement of say 10 games? Yeah that's a realistic goal.

durrrr

Reaction score
(warning: longish rambling post)

Yeah, the starting rotation is fine. Darvish, Holland, Harrison, Perez, Ogando/Colby/Tepesch is pretty strong. Obviously that could be derailed a bit by injuries but you have to feel pretty good about that going into the season. As far as the bullpen goes, I'm fine with letting Nathan walk. Soria, Scheppers, Feliz, Cotts, and Ross (if Wash can avoid pitching his arm off, though he's run him into the ground the past 2 years, resulting in his effectiveness cratering later in the season), and possibly Ogando is a core I still feel really good about.

The offense though. Wow. Really, really need to find some production at 1B/DH/LF. There are a few different ways to go here.

First off, it sounds like the Rangers will make a qualifying offer to Nelson Cruz, which I think is the right move, though probably not enough to keep him (it's really the only chance he's going to have to land a big contract). I'd love to keep him on a 1-2 year deal to be our DH/OF but I'm not sure how likely that is.

As far as the rest of the outfield, we know Leonys and Rios have 2 of the 3 starting spots locked up. You could go roll with Gentry as your 3rd starting OF (and/or platoon him with Engel Beltre, who will either be on the major league roster next year or be traded to another team), and have an OF without much power, but one that plays great defense and can really terrorize opposing teams on the bases. This wouldn't be my top choice, but it's not a bad fallback plan if you can upgrade 1B/DH. I suppose Choo is also an option; he'd be a great leadoff hitter, but he's also going to be expensive, and he doesn't hit LHP.

In the infield, you know Beltre will be at 3B, and you know Elvis will be at SS. If neither are traded, I suspect you'll see Profar at 2B and Kinsler at 1B (Moreland should not be starting next year if it can be avoided). I think there's a pretty good chance Soto is brought back as the backup catcher, but who will he be backing up? Brian McCann could be the Rangers top priority in free agency (please?). AJP could also come back on a 1-year deal, or maybe they turn to a guy like Carlos Ruiz. But, McCann please.

At this point, my "dream" offseason probably looks something like:

- Trade Profar/Perez/prospects for Giancarlo Stanton
- Sign Brian McCann (and Soto)
- Sign Nelson Cruz (I really don't think this is terribly likely because I think he's going to get more years/dollars than the Rangers are willing to get him but I'm listing it anyway)

Now at this point, you can probably only afford 1 more quality bat, and you still have holes at both DH and 1B.

There should be plenty of upgrades to Moreland on the market, but I have no idea how much any of them are going to cost. I would welcome Napoli back with open arms, but he's likely the most expensive option. Then there are guys like Abreu from Cuba, Kendrys Morales, James Loney, Corey Hart, Justin Morneau, etc. However, if you've managed to upgrade your lineup with Stanton, McCann, and also decide to bring Cruz back to DH (or some other quality DH), I think you can get by with Moreland at 1B, especially if you're platooning him with someone like Jeff Baker.

C - McCann/Soto
1B - Moreland/Baker
2B - Kinsler
SS - Elvis
3B - Beltre
LF - Rios
CF - Leonys/Gentry/Engel
RF - Stanton
DH - Cruz

Kristen82

Reaction score
(warning: longish rambling post)

Abreu supposedly has monster power but a slow bat and long swing.

We don't have a true #3 hitter - a guy who can hit for both power and average, plus has plate discipline and takes pitches and draws walks. Choo is the only FA out there that has/can do all those things.

Would like Salty back at C. Younger than A. J. and McCann.

Engel would make a great defensive sub/4th-5th OF'er. Out of options and we don't want to lose him so he's on the roster next year fo' sure.

FLO is going to build around Stanton, not trade him. Small-market teams value young studs who aren't making that much.

RamziD

Reaction score
Keep reading that the bridge between the Rangers and Saltalamacchia has already been burned. AJ's OPS dropped 100 points and his OBP dropped 30 points from 2012-2013, so I'm not eager to see him be our primary Catcher at age 37.

If the Rangers cut ties with all their UFAs (they just re-signed Frasor for $1.75M on the payroll), Berkman retires, and Nathan is not optioned, then that's a lot of salary that comes off the payroll. If we're going to take JD at his word, our payroll is going to be slightly less than 2013. When you factor in player salary increases and arbitration for Feliz, Cotts, Ogando, Gentry, and possibly Moreland, then that leaves about $25-27M to sign FAs. I would like to see that go towards signing Cruz and McCann. McCann will probably get around 5/$80M. Steep price, but I don't see any good alternatives at Catcher.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
C - McCann/Soto
1B - Moreland/Baker
2B - Kinsler
SS - Elvis
3B - Beltre
LF - Rios
CF - Leonys/Gentry/Engel
RF - Stanton
DH - Cruz

This lineup would be awesome. McCann may be the best option but I don't think he's worth 5/80mil

RamziD

Reaction score
Abreu supposedly has monster power but a slow bat and long swing.

We don't have a true #3 hitter - a guy who can hit for both power and average, plus has plate discipline and takes pitches and draws walks. Choo is the only FA out there that has/can do all those things.

Would like Salty back at C. Younger than A. J. and McCann.

Engel would make a great defensive sub/4th-5th OF'er. Out of options and we don't want to lose him so he's on the roster next year fo' sure.

FLO is going to build around Stanton, not trade him. Small-market teams value young studs who aren't making that much.

This is interesting. It's always been thrown around by the media that relations between Saltalamacchia and the Rangers were pretty strained and that Jarrod would never seriously consider coming back. However, this article shows that Salty harbors no ill-will towards the Rangers... heck, it even sounds like he would like to play for us again.

Kristen82

Reaction score
This is interesting. It's always been thrown around by the media that relations between Saltalamacchia and the Rangers were pretty strained and that Jarrod would never seriously consider coming back. However, this article shows that Salty harbors no ill-will towards the Rangers... heck, it even sounds like he would like to play for us again.

Read that article too. I think he probably prefers to stay in BOS though given how good a team they are. If he does come back, it'd be neat because we'd have 4 guys out of the original 5 we got in the Teixeira trade still with the team (Feliz, Andrus, Harrison, and Salty w/Beau Jones disappearing into the ether) 7 years after the trade.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Abreu is out darn it. He would have been my top choice because I liked the price for pure power and position.
And the lineup lacks power after Beltre.

McCann is intriguing but REALLY expensive. Not sure I can eat all that cost with all the holes it would leave.

I do agree Texas can't suck hitting the ball at catcher/1B/DH and expect to compete next year.

Love the young outfield and wouldn't mess about there. Speed and defensive ability is enough to get us by.
Hopefully Cruz is back. The suspension should have lowered his value a bit if only because he is eligible for a much larger one if ever caught again.

RamziD

Reaction score
Abreu is out darn it. He would have been my top choice because I liked the price for pure power and position.
And the lineup lacks power after Beltre.

McCann is intriguing but REALLY expensive. Not sure I can eat all that cost with all the holes it would leave.

I do agree Texas can't suck hitting the ball at catcher/1B/DH and expect to compete next year.

Love the young outfield and wouldn't mess about there. Speed and defensive ability is enough to get us by.
Hopefully Cruz is back. The suspension should have lowered his value a bit if only because he is eligible for a much larger one if ever caught again.

Wow, 6/$68M for an international player. I hope this does not set the tone of the FA market this year, or McCann might get to $100M. I'm still hoping for Cruz and McCann.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on...eal-with-white-sox-finalized-pending-physical