That song that grabbed you and wouldn't let go

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Heard this one for the first time last night. Woke up with it in my head and proceeded to torture my dog by strumming and singing it for an hour to get the timing down.

cowboyec

Reaction score

1971...he touched me album.
one of his best gospel tracks.

cowboyec

Reaction score

'71...he touched me.
love the personality and feel of this track.
he LOVED gospel...and it shines thru.

cowboyec

Reaction score

march 1972...B-side.
one of his greatest singles.
beautiful.

cowboyec

Reaction score

march 1972.
another great track from this excellent recording session.
love the warmth and feel of these.
it's what he was going thru...Elvis and Priscilla split the same week of this session.
he was lettin' it out...thru the music.
just wish rca had put these together for an album.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
thats what i love most about his music.
theres enough room for er'body.

Are you old enough to have seen Elvis perform in the 70's? I was born in 1969. Prob started listening to his music when I was about 13. Anyways, back to thread topic.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Are you old enough to have seen Elvis perform in the 70's? I was born in 1969. Prob started listening to his music when I was about 13. Anyways, back to thread topic.
i was born in '73.
was 4 when he died.
came outta the womb an Elvis fan.
his music is woven into every fiber of my being.
one of my earliest memories as a kid was spinning my Elvis records and trying to imitate him.

cowboyec

Reaction score

here is an alternate take.
he was onto something with a blues feel.
i like this better than the master.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have always loved music but have been especially fascinated by a song that grabs you the first time you hear it and you just have to hear it again. The alarm goes off in your head as if this is just what you've been waiting for without knowing it.

Some songs have such a pronounced effect that you can recall where you were and what you were doing the first time you heard it.

I had two such songs affect me like that the first time I heard them but it wasn't until 1968 I heard the first one and the following year heard the second one. What makes this so unusual is that I was doing the very same thing when I heard both songs, making daytime love to my bride I'd married in 1968 and so strong was the effect that I stopped because my ears had been commandeered and I was no longer in control. Not to worry, I did regain control and achieve my husbandly duty.

This song became one of our official "Our Songs". Our first was "You're the One" by The Vogues but I cannot bring myself to listen to that.

I would have been better off not receiving the mental picture of the intercourse interruption, although I acknowledge it's relevance to the story. By the way, I love Spirit in the Sky. Can't say the same for Crimson and Clover, but I can see where it might have fit the mood of the occasion.

A song that stuck with me is The Pilgrim-Chapter 33 by Kris Kristofferson. I wasn't aware of the song until about 10 years after Kristofferson released it (released in 1971), but it described the tragic life of a friend of mine that had just died so perfectly that it felt to me as if it had been written about him.

Another song I remember exactly when I heard it was Comfortably Numb, by Pink Floyd. It was on the album "The Wall", released in 1979, while I was in high school, and the Title track to the album was a huge commercial success. I didn't particularly care for the song The Wall, and therefor never bought or listened to the whole album. Seems weird because so much of that album is so familiar to me now, but at the time I was never more than vaguely aware of anything on the album except The Wall. Then a few years later I was driving through the beautiful landscape of central Texas to visit friends in Austin, and the local radio station played Comfortably Numb. I can't say it was the first time I had heard the song, but it was the first time I really noticed it, and I thought to myself "How in the Hell have I missed this"? I was completely fascinated with the song, and still am to this day. It also sparked a much greater interest in Pink Floyd than I had before.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I would have been better off not receiving the mental picture of the intercourse interruption, although I acknowledge it's relevance to the story. By the way, I love Spirit in the Sky. Can't say the same for Crimson and Clover, but I can see where it might have fit the mood of the occasion.

A song that stuck with me is The Pilgrim-Chapter 33 by Kris Kristofferson. I wasn't aware of the song until about 10 years after Kristofferson released it (released in 1971), but it described the tragic life of a friend of mine that had just died so perfectly that it felt to me as if it had been written about him.

Another song I remember exactly when I heard it was Comfortably Numb, by Pink Floyd. It was on the album "The Wall", released in 1979, while I was in high school, and the Title track to the album was a huge commercial success. I didn't particularly care for the song The Wall, and therefor never bought or listened to the whole album. Seems weird because so much of that album is so familiar to me now, but at the time I was never more than vaguely aware of anything on the album except The Wall. Then a few years later I was driving through the beautiful landscape of central Texas to visit friends in Austin, and the local radio station played Comfortably Numb. I can't say it was the first time I had heard the song, but it was the first time I really noticed it, and I thought to myself "How in the Hell have I missed this"? I was completely fascinated with the song, and still am to this day. It also sparked a much greater interest in Pink Floyd than I had before.
Just to be clear, there is no song called The Wall (unless you're talking about the band Kansas), but there are the songs Another Brick in the Wall: Part I, Part II, & Part III.

Sorry, but it's the first album I ever bought, and I still consider it one of the greatest albums ever... possibly even the greatest.