CFZ That sound you're hearing is the hype machine warming up

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are just a few weeks away from Cowboys 2024 training camp and everything that it implies. NFL Football is just around the corner and after a mostly disappointing and head scratching off-season, the Cowboys will once again head to Oxnard, California to begin preparations for this storied franchise’s 65th season. And the best hype and sales machine in all of professional sports is about to gear up again.

Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with fans getting excited and hopeful about another season. I fault no one who gets excited about TC, pre-season games and the daily reports we get from camp about which unheralded players are looking great. I’m looking forward to having some real football to get excited about myself.

But count me among those who don't get too excited about training camp, ps games or reports of players who are having a “great camp” this summer. I take most of that hype with a huge grain of salt until the real bullets fly in games that count in the standings starting in September.

So here are some typical “hype” statements I’m almost guaranteeing we will hear in the coming weeks:
  • “__________ is having a great camp.” (Generic statement usually made about a young player who if he makes the team will probably only be on STs)
  • ”__________ is in the best shape of his life.” (Translation: It means nothing)
  • Some beat writer who covers practices will mention a “spectacular catch” or other great play made by some unheralded player who more than likely won’t make the team. (Remember the great catches made by the likes of TE Rico Gathers or WR TJ Vasher? Gathers had 3 career catches in a season and a half of NFL football, and Vasher never played a down of a regular season game. But they had great camps!)
  • ”________ is just out there making plays“. (Translation: We don’t have anything specific to say but we want you to get excited anyway)
Again, if you are a fan who gets exited about training camp or pre-season games, I support you enjoying all of it. I understand why many love it. I hope you will also understand why I just wait until September to get excited because to me so much of TC and preseason games are just hype.

So in a few weeks training camp opens and the hype machine begins its messaging. Hope we can all have fun with it however we choose.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man, I'm really having a hard time getting pumped this year. I started following the cowboys , oh geesh, 50 years ago. I've never had the mental block I'm having this year.
Understandable.

I was amazed when I realized this is the 65th year of Cowboys football. In the first 35 seasons of our history we played in 16 conference championships and 8 SBs, winning 5. In the last 29 seasons we’ve played in zero conference championship games and zero SBs. Hard to believe.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We are just a few weeks away from Cowboys 2024 training camp and everything that it implies. NFL Football is just around the corner and after a mostly disappointing and head scratching off-season, the Cowboys will once again head to Oxnard, California to begin preparations for this storied franchise’s 65th season. And the best hype and sales machine in all of professional sports is about to gear up again.

Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with fans getting excited and hopeful about another season. I fault no one who gets excited about TC, pre-season games and the daily reports we get from camp about which unheralded players are looking great. I’m looking forward to having some real football to get excited about myself.

But count me among those who don't get too excited about training camp, ps games or reports of players who are having a “great camp” this summer. I take most of that hype with a huge grain of salt until the real bullets fly in games that count in the standings starting in September.

So here are some typical “hype” statements I’m almost guaranteeing we will hear in the coming weeks:
  • “__________ is having a great camp.” (Generic statement usually made about a young player who if he makes the team will probably only be on STs)
  • ”__________ is in the best shape of his life.” (Translation: It means nothing)
  • Some beat writer who covers practices will mention a “spectacular catch” or other great play made by some unheralded player who more than likely won’t make the team. (Remember the great catches made by the likes of TE Rico Gathers or WR TJ Vasher? Gathers had 3 career catches in a season and a half of NFL football, and Vasher never played a down of a regular season game. But they had great camps!)
  • ”________ is just out there making plays“. (Translation: We don’t have anything specific to say but we want you to get excited anyway)
Again, if you are a fan who gets exited about training camp or pre-season games, I support you enjoying all of it. I understand why many love it. I hope you will also understand why I just wait until September to get excited because to me so much of TC and preseason games are just hype.

So in a few weeks training camp opens and the hype machine begins its messaging. Hope we can all have fun with it however we choose.
I’m really sorry Bob that you’ve become a hopeless fan who can’t get excited about the new season. That’s unfortunate. You sound like a band wagon fan waiting until the games start to “possibly” get on the train. If they do bad, then you have an out. To each his own but please don’t try and take the pleasure out of those of us who do appreciate and enjoy everything about training camp with your “I’m not onboard until they prove it” declaration.

Motorola

Reaction score
I’m really sorry Bob that you’ve become a hopeless fan who can’t get excited about the new season. That’s unfortunate. You sound like a band wagon fan waiting until the games start to “possibly” get on the train. If they do bad, then you have an out. To each his own but please don’t try and take the pleasure out of those of us who do appreciate and enjoy everything about training camp with your “I’m not onboard until they prove it” declaration.
Haze is just putting out his perennial "lecture" regarding the team at this time of year.
TBH - this initial thread comment is condescending.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Man, I'm really having a hard time getting pumped this year. I started following the cowboys , oh geesh, 50 years ago. I've never had the mental block I'm having this year.
Well most of our fans had low expectations heading into last year. The Eagles melted and we won the Division, only to be brought back to reality in the playoffs.

This maybe our last year of hanging out at the rim for sometime, so I am going to try and enjoy it.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Haze is just putting out his perennial "lecture" regarding the team at this time of year.
TBH - this initial thread comment is condescending.
I respect Bobhaze a lot but do not always agree with him. He try’s to play the fence which I understand being a mod. I respect people more who take a stance one way or the other and don’t focus on straddling the fence. They can easily go either way depending on which way the wind blows. To me that blows.

plymkr

Reaction score

Don’t forget the tweets from reporters analyzing, reanalyzing, and catastrophizing every step and word Dak, CD and Micah say. They need their clicks and they’ll use the contract stuff to stir up things.

I’m bracing for the hype machine and the media scrutiny/pot stirring of the contracts.

A couple guys I’m excited about is Lance, Overshown, Deuce, Beebe, Guyton and Kneeland. I’m really excited to see some game action with them. Then we’ll have some play to discuss and not speculation. That’ll be fun. I like preseason games because I like to see what the young guys can do and I don’t get mad if we lose. Just hopeful we avoid injuries.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Me humble addition to your list.
"His work ethic is something to marvel at and it tells me he is a leader." (A work ethic is in the contract. Everybody can lead, so what?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I respect Bobhaze a lot but do not always agree with him. He try’s to play the fence which I understand being a mod. I respect people more who take a stance one way or the other and don’t focus on straddling the fence. They can easily go either way depending on which way the wind blows. To me that blows.
We all much appreciate you sharing that.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If there's one thing that I've learned about training camp and the preseason, it's that the Cowboys hype must be taken with a grain of salt. Of course, there will eventually be things that are legitimate reasons to be excited about, but due time will pass before legit proof is available. Be wary of getting excited over little things that are amplified before real reasons for excitement are remotely valid. It's, annually, very predictable, without exception.

Last edited:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I find it sad when people call other members bandwagon fans simply because they are unhappy with the current state of the team despite the fact they have been fans their entire lives and are here, on a Cowboys forum site of all places, posting day after day.

Bandwagon fans are people who become fans when a team wins big games and disappear when teams lose or miss those games.

Since the Cowboys have not won a big game in 29 years, I think every Cowboys fan who posts on this forum week after week, month after month, etc. has more than proven they are not bandwagon fans.

I understand that you hate when people criticize the team, but after 29 years of failured seasons, I think Cowboys fans .. all of them .. deserve the right to be upset, disappointed, disillusioned and/or frustrated about the current state of the team.

Just because you "believe" every year does not make you a better fan nor does questioning the team's decisions and directions make other fans bad fans.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I find it sad when people call other members bandwagon fans simply because they are unhappy with the current status of the team despite the fact they have been fans their entire lives and are here, on a Cowboys forum site of all places, posting day after day.

Bandwagon fans are people who become fans when a team wins big games and disappear when teams lose or miss those games.

Since the Cowboys have not won a big game in 29 years, I think every Cowboys fan who posts on this forum week after week, month after month, etc. has more than proven they are not bandwagon fans.

I understand that you hate when people criticize the team, but after 29 years of failured seasons, I think Cowboys fans .. all of them .. deserve the right to be upset, disappointed, disillusioned and/or frustrated about the current state of the team.

Just because you "believe" every year does not make you a better fan nor does questioning the team's decisions and directions make other fans bad fans.
:thumbup:

plymkr

Reaction score
I just don’t see the Cowboys as a threat to the NFC at all.

They didn’t improve the team this offseason.

The best thing we got going for us is the rest of the NFC is mediocre.
If our young cats develop quickly and our sophomore players jump significantly I can see us as being a team of interest. Meaning we will hang around the rim as Jerry puts it.

If our young guys in the trenches do not develop well and our sophomores play like they did last year than I see us not being a threat at all. Possibly not even making the playoffs.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
2021 was my last "getting all excited" season. Everyone who watched the games back then (first 7 games awesome, then the team showed it's real face once again) understood that they are pretenders. And back then the "leader" argument was still young. The 22 and 23 seasons proved the exact same thing but I had dialed back by expectations to "observer" level. And last season they almost had me again with one or two remarkable scores in certain games. But overall nothing has changed since the off-season in 21.

Until the core of this team stays the same nothing will change. And since Jerry or Steven will never sell the Cowboys and probably won't ever hire a true GM, it's the only thing I can hope for. Rebuild the squad, get as many draft picks as you can for the old guys. Draft well (and QBs) and build a two dimensional offense. Once you have a core of young drafted guys and are confident they can do "it" fill up the missing spots with good FAs. As long as your QB is on his rookie contract you should have enough cap headroom.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

LOL, you nailed it Bob Purple Haze, it’s coming.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
About 45 years for me and I feel the same. I genuinely wonder why. I’ve (we’ve) been let down many many times.

Why was last year so bad?