CFZ That sound you're hearing is the hype machine warming up

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Just the nature of the league. Every team is a contender in July and August in their own eyes. The parity in the league etc. I’m gonna be here for every game watching and rooting for them to have success and also for me to be wrong about their ceiling which imo is a divisional round at best with luck.

It is what it is. Just have to accept (though heavily disagree) with the teams offseason and free agent ideology

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
About 45 years for me and I feel the same. I genuinely wonder why. I’ve (we’ve) been let down many many times.

Why was last year so bad?
Because how the loss happened. Losing a close game when you see that everyone plays his heart out is one thing. Being declassed by basically an "upstart" squad with a young QB and witness BOTH ends on of the ball just giving up was just devastating. Some people here say the defense gave up and that's why the QB didnt have a chance. Well he would have lost his way in a phone booth (I'm old lol) that day.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I find it sad when people call other members bandwagon fans simply because they are unhappy with the current state of the team despite the fact they have been fans their entire lives and are here, on a Cowboys forum site of all places, posting day after day.

Bandwagon fans are people who become fans when a team wins big games and disappear when teams lose or miss those games.

Since the Cowboys have not won a big game in 29 years, I think every Cowboys fan who posts on this forum week after week, month after month, etc. has more than proven they are not bandwagon fans.

I understand that you hate when people criticize the team, but after 29 years of failured seasons, I think Cowboys fans .. all of them .. deserve the right to be upset, disappointed, disillusioned and/or frustrated about the current state of the team.

Just because you "believe" every year does not make you a better fan nor does questioning the team's decisions and directions make other fans bad fans.
I do get what you’re saying, but the definition of fan is a fanatic: A person filled with excessive and single minded zeal.

I’m not there, but I can see how those that are there are basically “better” fanatics than those that don’t have that single minded zeal.

I’m ok with it.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I do get what you’re saying, but the definition of fan is a fanatic-A person filled with excessive and single minded zeal.

I’m not there, but I can see how those that are there are basically “better” fanatics than those that don’t have that single minded zeal.
"Britannica Dictionary definition of FAN. [count] : a person who likes and admires someone (such as a famous person) or something (such as a sport or a sports team) in a very enthusiastic way."

I can still like / love the Cowboys as a whole. I'd never follow another NFL team, the Cowboys are my (football) life. That doesn't mean I cannot realize that what they have been doing for almost three decades now was crap. And especially the last years were heartbreaking. But a heart can only break when you really love someone / something in a very enthusiastic way. It doesn't mean you have to accept a cheating wife, a lying friend or a moronic FO.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do get what you’re saying, but the definition of fan is a fanatic-A person filled with excessive and single minded zeal.

There is no such thing as "better" fanatics.

You are mistakingly ignoring the fact that nowhere in there does it say "only thinks positive".

All fans who visit and post regularly on this or other Cowboys sites have "excessive and single-minded zeal" regardless of their opinions.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
There are 3 types of fans who come to a forum like this:
- People who want to cheer on the team
- People who want to discuss the team
- People who want to vent about the team

None of those groups is a better "fan" than the other. If someone wasn't a fan, they wouldn't be on this site in the first place. Regardless, those 3 groups frequently don't see eye to eye.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Typically no matter how bad a season is I'm right back buying into them 100%, believing they are super bowl bound the next year. That feeling typically hits around draft time at the latest....I'm still waiting on it for 2024 though, and really don't think its going to come. Past years I was excited even when I shouldn't have been. I'd sit there and do the math on how a Quincy Carter led 3-6 team could still make the playoffs.

I'll still be watching every game. Ill still be rooting on the Cowboys, but my level of expectation is significantly lower than previous years. I also struggle with the becoming more emotionally invested in the team with so many expiring contracts, including the entire coaching staff. Even in a true rebuilding year I can find excitement in growth of the team as the year progresses, but that's not what this is. 2024 increasingly feels like a true reset year, but without a true plan in place for 2025.

I wish I had a sense of belief this year and could be all in on talking up the Cowboys.....It's simply not there this year though. I think Jerry and Stephen finally broke me.

jwitten82

Reaction score
I’m really sorry Bob that you’ve become a hopeless fan who can’t get excited about the new season. That’s unfortunate. You sound like a band wagon fan waiting until the games start to “possibly” get on the train. If they do bad, then you have an out. To each his own but please don’t try and take the pleasure out of those of us who do appreciate and enjoy everything about training camp with your “I’m not onboard until they prove it” declaration.
Lol you got told by the big boss, mayne. It's crazy how someone who quit last season has the audacity to call another fan a bandwagon fan. It's easy for you to be all positive when you know youll just quit if they having a bad season

Jipper

Reaction score
I don't care..first time since I can remember that I don't know when camp starts, how many days till kickoff, much about the rookie class, etc.

This team broke me last year, sure I'll watch but for whatever reason it's not the same...if I didn't have you guys I wouldn't have a clue of what's going on

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m really sorry Bob that you’ve become a hopeless fan who can’t get excited about the new season. That’s unfortunate. You sound like a band wagon fan waiting until the games start to “possibly” get on the train. If they do bad, then you have an out. To each his own but please don’t try and take the pleasure out of those of us who do appreciate and enjoy everything about training camp with your “I’m not onboard until they prove it” declaration.
That’s not a bandwagon fan if they follow and root the team on regardless if they are winning or losing. Their attitude whether eternal optimistic or apathetically doesn’t matter.

A bandwagon or casual fan is someone who only follows and supports the team when they’re doing well.

Many Cowboy fans in this down era have become more negative and follow with a more apathetic attitude expecting to lose not win. That comes with teams or schools who generally don’t have more success.

I’d call them Diehards. Fans who despite their loyalty to their team rooting them on each and every game are frustrated and call out the issues as they see it.

If you choose to be an eternal optimist that’s fine. To each their own but don’t take aim at those who choose to be more critical. There’s a place for all types of fans even if they don’t all agree. And a fan with more hope doesn’t necessarily know anymore or have better instincts than those who are more critical .

That becomes just an attempt to discredit their opinion if you disagree or don’t like . It goes both ways . But generally if a team has history of more success the fans are more hopeful. If they don’t then fans are usually less hopeful . Hope is fine but it’s not a plan.

This response is directed at you as I know your position but is in response for others to weigh in.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Off season , training camp and preseason is a time for renewed optimism . Reality doesn’t begin until after Labor Day.

We can still get excited about football season while having an apathetic view of the Cowboys . Diehards come in all shapes and sizes . Some are more critical and some more hopeful . Neither discredits their opinions.

There’s always at least a glimmer of hope until there’s not. But no doubt our franchise is usually over hyped .

Part of that is the media and part of it is our owner. It’s all part of being a fan of the most iconic brand in sports . We have to take the good with the bad.

Most fans gravitate to those who are more aligned with their views. Like with anything. We really need to look more for what unites us not divides us.

Last edited:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I respect Bobhaze a lot but do not always agree with him. He try’s to play the fence which I understand being a mod. I respect people more who take a stance one way or the other and don’t focus on straddling the fence. They can easily go either way depending on which way the wind blows. To me that blows.
Really? You respect people who take a stance?

The guy who's first in with "hater", "bandwagon", "casual", etc., respects opinions that disagree with his?

You really can't make this stuff up. But it does explain a lot. In your own mind you are a thoughtful, respectful poster and anyone who doesn't think exactly as you do is obviously immature, uninformed, confrontational or otherwise in need of your correction.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I find it sad when people call other members bandwagon fans simply because they are unhappy with the current state of the team despite the fact they have been fans their entire lives and are here, on a Cowboys forum site of all places, posting day after day.

Bandwagon fans are people who become fans when a team wins big games and disappear when teams lose or miss those games.

Since the Cowboys have not won a big game in 29 years, I think every Cowboys fan who posts on this forum week after week, month after month, etc. has more than proven they are not bandwagon fans.

I understand that you hate when people criticize the team, but after 29 years of failured seasons, I think Cowboys fans .. all of them .. deserve the right to be upset, disappointed, disillusioned and/or frustrated about the current state of the team.

Just because you "believe" every year does not make you a better fan nor does questioning the team's decisions and directions make other fans bad fans.
Post of the morning!!!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

The guy who's first in with "hater", "bandwagon", "casual", etc., respects opinions that disagree with his?

You really can't make this stuff up. But it does explain a lot. In your own mind you are a thoughtful, respectful poster and anyone who doesn't think exactly as you do is obviously immature, uninformed, confrontational or otherwise in need of your correction.
Do yourself a favor and block him that's what I did

Diehardblues

Reaction score

It’s typical for social media. If you don’t agree then personal attack or attempt to discredit them personally because you know your argument is weak or in some cases simply not factual. We see it in all aspects of sports discussion and social subjects as well.

Bobs intentions in this thread are well served for his view and opinion. That doesn’t mean it’s for everyone . Not sure why those who so strongly oppose must inject opposition in such a tasteless fashion.

Start your own thread expressing your own view and opinion.

Most fans gravitate to those with similar views and opinions . Shooting down others with personal attacks in an attempt to discredit their opinions is a lame discussion and probably reflects their argument is weak.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The fans are one thing

The players "eating the cheese" as Parcells noted is the bigger problem.... its why we are soft when it really counts.
Good point. It doesn’t matter what fans think as long as they show up and turn on their TV’s.

Only the players have to buy in.