CFZ That sound you're hearing is the hype machine warming up

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
"Britannica Dictionary definition of FAN. [count] : a person who likes and admires someone (such as a famous person) or something (such as a sport or a sports team) in a very enthusiastic way."

I can still like / love the Cowboys as a whole. I'd never follow another NFL team, the Cowboys are my (football) life. That doesn't mean I cannot realize that what they have been doing for almost three decades now was crap. And especially the last years were heartbreaking. But a heart can only break when you really love someone / something in a very enthusiastic way. It doesn't mean you have to accept a cheating wife, a lying friend or a moronic FO.
I realize it too. I think we all realize it. Just saying that I think if someone wants to blindly follow unconditionally it does mean they are a more loyal and therefore better fan. As I see it defined.

ArtClink

Reaction score
We are just a few weeks away from Cowboys 2024 training camp and everything that it implies. NFL Football is just around the corner and after a mostly disappointing and head scratching off-season, the Cowboys will once again head to Oxnard, California to begin preparations for this storied franchise’s 65th season. And the best hype and sales machine in all of professional sports is about to gear up again.

Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with fans getting excited and hopeful about another season. I fault no one who gets excited about TC, pre-season games and the daily reports we get from camp about which unheralded players are looking great. I’m looking forward to having some real football to get excited about myself.

But count me among those who don't get too excited about training camp, ps games or reports of players who are having a “great camp” this summer. I take most of that hype with a huge grain of salt until the real bullets fly in games that count in the standings starting in September.

So here are some typical “hype” statements I’m almost guaranteeing we will hear in the coming weeks:
  • “__________ is having a great camp.” (Generic statement usually made about a young player who if he makes the team will probably only be on STs)
  • ”__________ is in the best shape of his life.” (Translation: It means nothing)
  • Some beat writer who covers practices will mention a “spectacular catch” or other great play made by some unheralded player who more than likely won’t make the team. (Remember the great catches made by the likes of TE Rico Gathers or WR TJ Vasher? Gathers had 3 career catches in a season and a half of NFL football, and Vasher never played a down of a regular season game. But they had great camps!)
  • ”________ is just out there making plays“. (Translation: We don’t have anything specific to say but we want you to get excited anyway)
Again, if you are a fan who gets exited about training camp or pre-season games, I support you enjoying all of it. I understand why many love it. I hope you will also understand why I just wait until September to get excited because to me so much of TC and preseason games are just hype.

So in a few weeks training camp opens and the hype machine begins its messaging. Hope we can all have fun with it however we choose.
You left out Giggles talking about the team having the "secret sauce" lol! You're exactly right about the Jones boys hyping up the upcoming season.

We never rebuild, we always retool lol.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Understandable.

I was amazed when I realized this is the 65th year of Cowboys football. In the first 35 seasons of our history we played in 16 conference championships and 8 SBs, winning 5. In the last 29 seasons we’ve played in zero conference championship games and zero SBs. Hard to believe.
Please don't mention conference championships. It's just too painful.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
There is no such thing as "better" fanatics.

You are mistakingly ignoring the fact that nowhere in there does it say "only thinks positive".

All fans who visit and post regularly on this or other Cowboys sites have "excessive and single-minded zeal" regardless of their opinions.
Yea, maybe you’re right. And I’m not saying anyone shouldn’t be critical. But those that never do criticize have more blind dedication and zeal. Maybe that makes them better as a supporter.

A fan supports the team. The more support the better they are at being a fan—imo. If nothing the team does poorly dissuades their suppprt that says something about their fandom.

Dedicated Browns fans are a good examples of what I think of as a diehard (maybe better) fan. Nothing bothers their support. Hell, they had no team and still supported them. Seems better to me.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m really sorry Bob that you’ve become a hopeless fan who can’t get excited about the new season. That’s unfortunate. You sound like a band wagon fan waiting until the games start to “possibly” get on the train. If they do bad, then you have an out. To each his own but please don’t try and take the pleasure out of those of us who do appreciate and enjoy everything about training camp with your “I’m not onboard until they prove it” declaration.
No problem if you or anyone else disagrees with my opinions here.

The strange thing to me is I found a lot of humor in the OP about funny things (to me) that the organization says in training camp about players who usually never do much of anything when the season begins. If anyone buys in to that, it’s fine. I said I just don’t get excited until September when the regular season starts.

All NFL teams hype their players and season. I’m not knocking anyone for doing that or “buying in” to the hype. I said numerous times in the OP I support any fan who enjoys it.

Regarding “being on the fence”….Let me clarify where I stand:
  • The Cowboys are and have always been my favorite team, so because I care I believe I have the right to both praise and criticize my favorite team…on an opinion forum.
  • I’m not a big fan of training camp or preseason games because of the “hype” about players who mostly will never do much when it counts. I have no problem with other fans who do enjoy it.
  • I get excited about the regular season starting in September.
That doesn’t seem like a fence straddling position to me. It’s just my opinion. And you or any other fan is free to disagree, lol.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
We are just a few weeks away from Cowboys 2024 training camp and everything that it implies. NFL Football is just around the corner and after a mostly disappointing and head scratching off-season, the Cowboys will once again head to Oxnard, California to begin preparations for this storied franchise’s 65th season. And the best hype and sales machine in all of professional sports is about to gear up again.

Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with fans getting excited and hopeful about another season. I fault no one who gets excited about TC, pre-season games and the daily reports we get from camp about which unheralded players are looking great. I’m looking forward to having some real football to get excited about myself.

But count me among those who don't get too excited about training camp, ps games or reports of players who are having a “great camp” this summer. I take most of that hype with a huge grain of salt until the real bullets fly in games that count in the standings starting in September.

So here are some typical “hype” statements I’m almost guaranteeing we will hear in the coming weeks:
  • “__________ is having a great camp.” (Generic statement usually made about a young player who if he makes the team will probably only be on STs)
  • ”__________ is in the best shape of his life.” (Translation: It means nothing)
  • Some beat writer who covers practices will mention a “spectacular catch” or other great play made by some unheralded player who more than likely won’t make the team. (Remember the great catches made by the likes of TE Rico Gathers or WR TJ Vasher? Gathers had 3 career catches in a season and a half of NFL football, and Vasher never played a down of a regular season game. But they had great camps!)
  • ”________ is just out there making plays“. (Translation: We don’t have anything specific to say but we want you to get excited anyway)
Again, if you are a fan who gets exited about training camp or pre-season games, I support you enjoying all of it. I understand why many love it. I hope you will also understand why I just wait until September to get excited because to me so much of TC and preseason games are just hype.

So in a few weeks training camp opens and the hype machine begins its messaging. Hope we can all have fun with it however we choose.
I’m in on the hype machine only cuz it means I’m getting football news. Like many of you, I’ve been around long enough to know that the info. is mostly sensationalized for effect, and probably 90+% of off-season narratives never come to fruition.

But, I will say they do their job in that that I put a mental pin in comments I hear. We’ve heard that Flournoy can really get out breaks. Ok, mental note, I want to see it. Won’t pout and be disappointed if he can’t, it’s just a detail that peaks my curiosity, particularly if positive comments re: a player begin to stack up.

It’s all part of how I’m a fan but then again I follow National high school football, college ball, the combine, draft, and all the nonsense in between. To each his own, but please, give me all the football news (unsubstantiated or not) and I’ll weed out what’s relevant to me.

Besides, without happenings such as the inevitable training camp QB updates where would AC/Rockport vs. MC be? Essentially the equivalent of depriving us of Ali vs Foreman.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m in on the hype machine only cuz it means I’m getting football news. Like many of you, I’ve been around long enough to know that the info. is mostly sensationalized for effect, and probably 90+% of off-season narratives never come to fruition.

But, I will say they do their job in that that I put a mental pin in comments I hear. We’ve heard that Flournoy can really get out breaks. Ok, mental note, I want to see it. Won’t pout and be disappointed if he can’t, it’s just a detail that peaks my curiosity, particularly if positive comments re: a player begin to stack up.

It’s all part of how I’m a fan but then again I follow National high school football, college ball, the combine, draft, and all the nonsense in between. To each his own, but please, give me all the football news (unsubstantiated or not) and I’ll weed out what’s relevant to me.

Besides, without happenings such as the inevitable training camp QB updates where would AC/Rockport vs. MC be? Essentially the equivalent of depriving us of Ali vs Foreman.
Well said!

mrmojo

Reaction score
I find it sad when people call other members bandwagon fans simply because they are unhappy with the current state of the team despite the fact they have been fans their entire lives and are here, on a Cowboys forum site of all places, posting day after day.

Bandwagon fans are people who become fans when a team wins big games and disappear when teams lose or miss those games.

Since the Cowboys have not won a big game in 29 years, I think every Cowboys fan who posts on this forum week after week, month after month, etc. has more than proven they are not bandwagon fans.

I understand that you hate when people criticize the team, but after 29 years of failured seasons, I think Cowboys fans .. all of them .. deserve the right to be upset, disappointed, disillusioned and/or frustrated about the current state of the team.

Just because you "believe" every year does not make you a better fan nor does questioning the team's decisions and directions make other fans bad fans.
This^^

starfan1

Reaction score
No problem if you or anyone else disagrees with my opinions here.

The strange thing to me is I found a lot of humor in the OP about funny things (to me) that the organization says in training camp about players who usually never do much of anything when the season begins. If anyone buys in to that, it’s fine. I said I just don’t get excited until September when the regular season starts.

All NFL teams hype their players and season. I’m not knocking anyone for doing that or “buying in” to the hype. I said numerous times in the OP I support any fan who enjoys it.

Regarding “being on the fence”….Let me clarify where I stand:
  • The Cowboys are and have always been my favorite team, so because I care I believe I have the right to both praise and criticize my favorite team…on an opinion forum.
  • I’m not a big fan of training camp or preseason games because of the “hype” about players who mostly will never do much when it counts. I have no problem with other fans who do enjoy it.
  • I get excited about the regular season starting in September.
That doesn’t seem like a fence straddling position to me. It’s just my opinion. And you or any other fan is free to disagree, lol.
Bob I have alot of respect for you as a mod and a poster and you dont owe me or anyone a explanation on anything. The job you guys have here for nothing is nothing short of thankless. Youre stance as fan and the line you have to walk as a mod im sure is scrutinized.I for 1 appreciate you.

I tend to be a enjoy the ride type fan and i dont let the results of the team damper the next season (its a brand new start) but I can say coming in here as often as i do I tend to believe our fanbase is on of the worst and can see why we are hated by so many. I think our culture in general is a bit on the negative side but it is what it is

Ill continue to do me and stay positive but Its hard among the negativity since the GB loss.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I was excited for the playoffs last year. Stars of the team were young and inexpensive. Parsons Bland Ceedee Ferguson etc. Solid vets like Gimore and Cooks and Pollard. Lots of investment in o line. Dak MVP candidate.

I learned my lesson. These guys literally do not care so neither do I.

Creeper

Reaction score

Of course, but I do not care what I hear or see in videos from camp. I am not buying into it.

And like I have always said, training camp is Cowboys facing each other. When 1 player succeeds in camp is it because he is that good, or because the Cowboys opposing him are not good?

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
That’s not a bandwagon fan if they follow and root the team on regardless if they are winning or losing. Their attitude whether eternal optimistic or apathetically doesn’t matter.

A bandwagon or casual fan is someone who only follows and supports the team when they’re doing well.

Many Cowboy fans in this down era have become more negative and follow with a more apathetic attitude expecting to lose not win. That comes with teams or schools who generally don’t have more success.

I’d call them Diehards. Fans who despite their loyalty to their team rooting them on each and every game are frustrated and call out the issues as they see it.

If you choose to be an eternal optimist that’s fine. To each their own but don’t take aim at those who choose to be more critical. There’s a place for all types of fans even if they don’t all agree. And a fan with more hope doesn’t necessarily know anymore or have better instincts than those who are more critical .

That becomes just an attempt to discredit their opinion if you disagree or don’t like . It goes both ways . But generally if a team has history of more success the fans are more hopeful. If they don’t then fans are usually less hopeful . Hope is fine but it’s not a plan.

This response is directed at you as I know your position but is in response for others to weigh in.
Right?

Everyone in this thread is posting in June after getting embarrassed by GB in the playoffs. June!

Safe to say, none of us are bandwagon fans.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and block him that's what I did
Hey Coog. I think I've ever only blocked two people. No one in quite a while. I really would prefer to interact with everyone cause there are valuable viewpoints even in things we disagree on. But it is hard sometimes especially when the other person refuses to acknowledge any validity to counter arguments and resorts to name calling & deflection.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I find it sad when people call other members bandwagon fans simply because they are unhappy with the current state of the team despite the fact they have been fans their entire lives and are here, on a Cowboys forum site of all places, posting day after day.

Bandwagon fans are people who become fans when a team wins big games and disappear when teams lose or miss those games.

Since the Cowboys have not won a big game in 29 years, I think every Cowboys fan who posts on this forum week after week, month after month, etc. has more than proven they are not bandwagon fans.

I understand that you hate when people criticize the team, but after 29 years of failured seasons, I think Cowboys fans .. all of them .. deserve the right to be upset, disappointed, disillusioned and/or frustrated about the current state of the team.

Just because you "believe" every year does not make you a better fan nor does questioning the team's decisions and directions make other fans bad fans.
What in the Heck!?!?!?

Rockport don't let this guy get away with this!!!!!

Call him a Hater!!!

Tell him to watch a Kurt Warner video and get EDUCATED!!!!!!!!!

Tell him about the three 12 Win Seasons in a Heckin ROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell him how that is just as good as a SUPERBOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell him no Trolls allowed in Hawaiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell him about the 157 years of Coaching experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Since I seem to have trouble with polite replies to stupid comments...I found this to be a great reply I wish I had written.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Man, I'm really having a hard time getting pumped this year. I started following the cowboys , oh geesh, 50 years ago. I've never had the mental block I'm having this year.
This!! Same off-season changes are getting old, the same FO is getting older and pathetic and the same old FO message and results getting oldest. After 50 years behind the DC I'm at a crossroads. Missed the draft. Won't renew the ticket. Haven't glanced at the schedule and could not tell you when camp or the season starts. Starting to see a life and light without the DC disappointment.

DenCWBY

Reaction score

:hammer::hammer::hammer:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey Coog. I think I've ever only blocked two people. No one in quite a while. I really would prefer to interact with everyone cause there are valuable viewpoints even in things we disagree on. But it is hard sometimes especially when the other person refuses to acknowledge any validity to counter arguments and resorts to name calling & deflection.
I agree! Blocking is a double=edged sword. While I do appreciate diversity...it would be nice to remove some nonsense...it's just blocking seems...cowardly?

Since we can;t remove all of it from our society, it's good to practice tolerance...and manual mental blocking. :laugh: