The “refs are out to get us” evidence is actually thin

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I still don’t know how rogers held on to the ball. Scandrick saw it and was coming in, he would have scooped and scored on that play. I could see it develop. Then that last play. I still say Irving was held and put in a choke hold. Right in front of the ref. If that game goes to OT I think we win. I blame Marinelli, once he started coming after rogers we began shutting them down. And on that play he brings 3 people instead of forcing a quick pass or making him throw it away.
He held on to the ball because heath didn't actually hit the ball. And byron jones gave up that pass to Cook. Byron has never had any football instincts

MarcusRock

Reaction score
yup but we don't know what would have happened. The fact that they called a hands to the face on Mo when it didn't happen that actually led to a td drive. If we go down this rabbit hole there are more plays I didn't even bring up.

Well I have video to back my contention to show things weren't one-sided. You're up.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Well I have video to back my contention to show things weren't one-sided. You're up.
when pack was up 14-3 3rd down called Mo for a hands to the face on 3rd down that lead to a td giving them a 21-3 lead. IDK how to post the video like you do

MarcusRock

Reaction score
did we score on that drive? what was the end benefit to the cowboys that this call wasn't called?

We did score on that drive. It was moreso for the missed opportunities Bob mentioned. This score would have gotten us 7 quicker and we'd have had more time to mount a comeback starting in the 1st half. We owned them in the 2nd half but just ran out of time.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
THIS. OP’s post is just another of millions of examples where statistics don’t tell the real story. There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Phantom tripping calls, a false start/snap by the long snapper, that weird penalty a couple years ago on Terrance Williams (I think) for too many men in the huddle, etc.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
But it wasn't though. This call wasn't made on Dallas vs. GB

GB-DALpen-2016-1.gif

This one was on a 3rd down when they were up big already and forced them out of a drive. Not called.

GB-DALpen-2016-2.gif

See, fans of their own teams have amnesia to things like these. Should both of these calls have been made?

“Ah, well, that just makes for earlier calls they were doin against uzz!””

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The refs cost us a SB..:popcorn:

Okay...you can use hyperbole and exaggeration if you wish. BUT if you think for one second Refs can't affect a a game,. intentional; or not...then you are , with all due respect....a.....a..... freakin idiot.

Refs wrong decisions have cost teams games. Even us. Even other teams

Refs CAN and WILL determine the winner of the game Does it matter if it was subliminal; or intentional ? Either Way is unacceptable.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Every year, during every Cowboys game, the cries of “These refs are out to get us”, or “Goodell has this crew paid off to get us” go out. But it does beg the question, Is this really true? What evidence do we have that we are getting hosed by the guys in stripes?

Looking at the number of total penalties called during the season is one way to look at the big picture of how often the Cowboys are being flagged during games compared to the rest of the league. Here’s a link to a pretty good free site to examine penalties called: https://www.nflpenalties.com/phase.php?year=2018

Here’s how the Cowboys stacked up last year when it came to penalties called against us:
  • The Cowboys were 21st in the NFL last year in total number of penalties called against us. In other words, 20 of the 32 teams in the NFL had more penalties called than we did.
  • We were ranked 10th in the league in offensive holding calls against us, which is in the top third. But here’s some perspective: We were called 25 times for offensive holding. Our opponents were called 25 times last year for offensive holding. Can’t say we were unequally called.
  • In a year when defensive holding was seemingly called constantly, the Cowboys were ranked 24th in number of defensive holding calls.
So looking at 2019 in the penalties called department, it looks like we weren’t penalized as much as most teams.
one thing I will say is the quality of refereeing in the NFL has dropped in my opinion. But I don’t think any one team has been the beneficiary of the refs bad calls. This is a problem the NFL needs to address. It’s not a fairness issue as much as a quality issue.
The refs are out to get everybody. This is a moot thread.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Every year, during every Cowboys game, the cries of “These refs are out to get us”, or “Goodell has this crew paid off to get us” go out. But it does beg the question, Is this really true? What evidence do we have that we are getting hosed by the guys in stripes?

Looking at the number of total penalties called during the season is one way to look at the big picture of how often the Cowboys are being flagged during games compared to the rest of the league. Here’s a link to a pretty good free site to examine penalties called: https://www.nflpenalties.com/phase.php?year=2018

Here’s how the Cowboys stacked up last year when it came to penalties called against us:
  • The Cowboys were 21st in the NFL last year in total number of penalties called against us. In other words, 20 of the 32 teams in the NFL had more penalties called than we did.
  • We were ranked 10th in the league in offensive holding calls against us, which is in the top third. But here’s some perspective: We were called 25 times for offensive holding. Our opponents were called 25 times last year for offensive holding. Can’t say we were unequally called.
  • In a year when defensive holding was seemingly called constantly, the Cowboys were ranked 24th in number of defensive holding calls.
So looking at 2019 in the penalties called department, it looks like we weren’t penalized as much as most teams.
one thing I will say is the quality of refereeing in the NFL has dropped in my opinion. But I don’t think any one team has been the beneficiary of the refs bad calls. This is a problem the NFL needs to address. It’s not a fairness issue as much as a quality issue.

CowboysLegends2

Reaction score
Like those phantom calls on holding against Tyron Smith. Which showed that they were clean blocks.

Like that call on against Fred Beard for illegal procedure against the skins.

Like those phantom calls against Gregory for roughing the passer while he clearly has a grasp on a QB sack.

How about that spearing call against Elliott? Where it clearly showed that it was the defense that hit him on the head.

Oh yeah, let's not forget Dez's catch.

No the refs aren't against us. They are honest and true to the word.
You can’t forget the famous “simulating a huddle” against the Commanders which hasn’t been called but maybe once before in NFL history.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Okay...you can use hyperbole and exaggeration if you wish. BUT if you think for one second Refs can't affect a a game,. intentional; or not...then you are , with all due respect....a.....a..... freakin idiot.

Refs wrong decisions have cost teams games. Even us. Even other teams

Refs CAN and WILL determine the winner of the game Does it matter if it was subliminal; or intentional ? Either Way is unacceptable.
I was making a joke. Kind of, both years we lost to the packers there was some pretty bad calls that took points. There was bad calls on both sides. But the timing of some of these can swing games. It seems to be getting worse instead of better or more people are starting to pay attention. I do know that when the commentators say something on national TV then it’s bad and they are not covering it up. Those invisible tripping calls against us got called out on TV. I am just not sure if this is being done intentionally or not.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was making a joke. Kind of, both years we lost to the packers there was some pretty bad calls that took points. There was bad calls on both sides. But the timing of some of these can swing games. It seems to be getting worse instead of better or more people are starting to pay attention. I do know that when the commentators say something on national TV then it’s bad and they are not covering it up. Those invisible tripping calls against us got called out on TV. I am just not sure if this is being done intentionally or not.

okay cool. For some reason, my sarcasm meter doesn't work on Cowboyszone. I think it gets overwhelmed by so many smart alecs. :p:)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Sorry not one who thinks the refs are out to get us, does not mean we have not had bad calls within game but then every team can point to bad calls within a game. This organization has been too 8 SB and won 5 not what you would expect for a team who was somehow targeted by refs. When this teams over the years have played disciplined football, we have won.