The “refs are out to get us” evidence is actually thin

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I thought that was called on butler in a playoff game.

Oh okay. I took care of that on Page 5 of this thread. Probably got confused because it got called against Washington the last time but it wasn't a huddle play. The official misspoke on his announcement.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I've never seen a quarterback declared sacked by his own teammate (La'el Collins in the Rams playoff game.)

I've said it before and I will say it again: The NFL is going against its own interests by targeting Dallas this way. The Cowboys are the biggest cash cow in the NFL and draw better ratings than anyone else. If the NFL wants to be self-destructive by biting the hand that feeds, so be it.

I'm not asking for favorable officiating, mind you - just asking for a level playing field.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And Aikman is either a Cowboys hater or a true fan depending on which truthful and obviously objective evaluation he's just given.
It’s amazing how many of our fans rip Aikman for not being a “cheerleader” for Dallas, while also ripping him for telling the truth about some other team they don’t want to hear.

The funniest comments I’ve seen on Joe Buck came on a story about him in a magazine a few years ago. It quoted several fan bases that “hate” Joe Buck because to them he’s “biased against (_____ fill in the blank team)”. Many fans who hate Joe Buck say “he loves the packers”. The funny thing is, according to the article, the fan base who hates Buck the most are packers fans, lol.

Bottom line, most fans of all teams are not objective. Our emotions blur reality. Good luck telling emo fans that!

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Which "simulating the huddle" against Washington are you talking about?

I vaguely recall this. Some penalty against Butler in the 2018 Thanksgiving game against the Commanders, where he apparently joined the huddle (or left it?) in a way the official didn't like.

aria

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I've never seen a quarterback declared sacked by his own teammate (La'el Collins in the Rams playoff game.)

I've said it before and I will say it again: The NFL is going against its own interests by targeting Dallas this way. The Cowboys are the biggest cash cow in the NFL and draw better ratings than anyone else. If the NFL wants to be self-destructive by biting the hand that feeds, so be it.

I'm not asking for favorable officiating, mind you - just asking for a level playing field.
And most fans of other teams say we do get favorable calls for just that reason, it goes both ways.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I vaguely recall this. Some penalty against Butler in the 2018 Thanksgiving game against the Commanders, where he apparently joined the huddle (or left it?) in a way the official didn't like.

No that was the Green Bay playoff game in 2016. See Page 5 of this thread.

aria

Reaction score
Is it just my imagination or was it just two years ago that there was a several page thread of a lot of fans here mocking the Saints fans for complaining about the officiating in the game we beat them at the Dome?

Lots of excuses from our fans like “it was horrible all around” or “there was a lot of bad calls for both teams” which are both true but I 100% guarantee had we lost that game those same fans would have been crying bias against us and would still be cherry picking certain penalties that may or may not have changed the outcome of the game.

Point being, officiating sucks league wide and there are a lot of teams that have much and many more legitimate complaints against the officials than we do.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Oh okay. I took care of that on Page 5 of this thread. Probably got confused because it got called against Washington the last time but it wasn't a huddle play. The official misspoke on his announcement.
No way the refs make mistakes...Lol.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Is it just my imagination or was it just two years ago that there was a several page thread of a lot of fans here mocking the Saints fans for complaining about the officiating in the game we beat them at the Dome?

Lots of excuses from our fans like “it was horrible all around” or “there was a lot of bad calls for both teams” which are both true but I 100% guarantee had we lost that game those same fans would have been crying bias against us and would still be cherry picking certain penalties that may or may not have changed the outcome of the game.

Point being, officiating sucks league wide and there are a lot of teams that have much and many more legitimate complaints against the officials than we do.
We have been hosed by a lot of bad calls, some cost us games and maybe progressing in the playoffs. But the saints and rams non call was the worst I can remember seeing. I actually laughed when I saw they were really going to get hosed on that. I thought it was so blatant that everyone in the world knew it so the refs wouldn’t waste the energy to throw the flag and just get in the mic and call it.

aria

Reaction score
We have been hosed by a lot of bad calls, some cost us games and maybe progressing in the playoffs. But the saints and rams non call was the worst I can remember seeing. I actually laughed when I saw they were really going to get hosed on that. I thought it was so blatant that everyone in the world knew it so the refs wouldn’t waste the energy to throw the flag and just get in the mic and call it.
Don’t forget when the Saints got screwed AGAIN, against the Rams last year. Remember when the Saints defender picked up a Goff fumble and returned it for a ~80 yard TD?

Officials blew it dead and called an incomplete pass. Payton challenged it the call was overturned to a fumble but since it was originally called an incomplete pass they didn’t get the TD. They went on to lose that game but who knows how that could have changed everything.

Imagine if that happened to us? This site would crash. That’s why I get so sick of hearing how we always get screwed, every team can say that and there are several teams that have a lot more legitimate gripes than we do.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Agree 100%. What tires me is the whining about losing games “because of the refs”. I was lucky enough in my short sports career as a kid to always have coaches who preached to us that overcoming a bad call from the refs was just part of the game. Like bad weather. Yes, bad calls happen. So then what? Go make plays.

The most complained about call on this forum would probably be the Dez no catch call in 2014 in GB. As if that’s the reason we lost. There were probably 10-15 plays that could have been made to win that game that weren’t. Yet somehow, a bad call is the focus. As Jimmy said, “Good teams make their own luck.” There was 4:28 left on the clock when the Dez bad call happened. Our D could have stopped them and got us the ball again. But they didn’t.

ctrous25

Stay Classy Philly/Minny
Reaction score
Actual evidence and statistics is something ignored much of the time these days with just about anything

aria

Reaction score
Agree 100%. What tires me is the whining about losing games “because of the refs”. I was lucky enough in my short sports career as a kid to always have coaches who preached to us that overcoming a bad call from the refs was just part of the game. Like bad weather. Yes, bad calls happen. So then what? Go make plays.

The most complained about call on this forum would probably be the Dez no catch call in 2014 in GB. As if that’s the reason we lost. There were probably 10-15 plays that could have been made to win that game that weren’t. Yet somehow, a bad call is the focus. As Jimmy said, “Good teams make their own luck.” There was 4:28 left on the clock when the Dez bad call happened. Our D could have stopped them and got us the ball again. But they didn’t.
Don’t forget there’s a good chance we wouldn’t even have been in that Green Bay game if the refs didn’t screw over Detroit to put us there.

Of course there’s people that still defend Hitchins on that play and act like players run out on the field (with their helmet off) and start arguing with officials all the time.

Again, had that happened to us and we lost that would be the play that would still be talked the most, not the Dez non catch, because we would have probably never been in that GB game to begin with.

IMOF, I remember reading and hearing comments after that Detroit game and most NFL fans who weren’t Cowboys fans were saying that the officials purposely screwed Dallas because Dallas in the playoffs, and possibly Super Bowl, would bring more money and better ratings, both of which are true.